Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F8M is unstable

Hello, everyone!

Nice to meet you. I want to solve this problem.

I have a Crucial C300 SATA3 SSD.(connected Marvell SATA3 port in AHCI mode) After I updated to F8M bios, POST screen was freezed about 30seconds during "Detecting IDE Drives". All IDE drives are already removed. And Crucial C300 SSD was disappeared in CMOS menu. So, booting was failed. Tried to again and again but nothing changed. This issue occurs only Marvell SATA3 port.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	755925

After I changed to Marvell SATA3 port to Intel SATA2 port, this issue was solved. This issue is related to SATA3 SSD and Marvell port. It is not occured at Intel port.

Finally I returned to F7 bios. I think this is compatibility issue between Marvell SATA3 port and SATA3 SSD.

Please check my problem!
    Last edited by Eung Ho Kim; 03-30-2011, 06:29 AM.

Re: F8M is unstable

I could very well be a problem with the bios but did you also check that you are using the latest firmware from Crucial for you drive?
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post
      I could very well be a problem with the bios but did you also check that you are using the latest firmware from Crucial for you drive?
      Sure, Marvell and SSD firmware are latest version.(Marvell firmware: 2.2.0.1113 , SSD firmware: 0006)

Thanks to your reply.

Comment

I'll test this for you, I have UD7 and C300.

Marvell is not the best place for your C300 anyway though, you'll get better 4K speeds on the Intel controller.

I will be testing with modified F8m, I modified it for latest RAID ROM, LAN, ect, but I did not change the Marvell Firmware so it will be the same you are using.

Here is that file incase you want it.
        X58A-UD7 F8M Mod.zip

You'll have to give me a few hours so I can reply to everyone else, then I may have to leave for work before I can test, so I might not get back to you on this until later tonight

Comment

Please try the BIOS above, that is what I am using and I just tested for you and found no issues with Marvell ports and C300. Be sure you are starting by loading optimized defaults, then save/apply/reboot F10, back to the BIOS and then Force Update the firmware again just to be sure. Then reboot and try it all again, works fine here so not sure what the problem could be?

AHCI Mode was used for both tests

SATA 3Gb/s Reference

SATA 6Gb/s Marvell (I do not suggest using Marvell drivers, I only installed them after testing so I could open the browser utility to show you firmware version same as you mention)

Comment

Dear Admin.

Thanks for your help. As you mentioned, I will get better write speeds on the Intel controller, but read speeds will restrict due to SATA2 interface.

Name:	제목_없음-1.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	751301

So, I couldn't give up Marvell port. Are you involved in GIGABYTE BIOS development? When can I get to formal F8 version?

Comment

But SATAII 3Gb/s 4K speeds are much better, and the ports themselves ae much more stable.

I do hear you though, just wanted to let you know sequential speeds are not what is important.

There is no F8 BIOS yet, only the betas posted here. Try the one I posted above, it has latest Intel RAID ROM and the one Stasio posted does not.

No I am not involved with BIOS development. I could put OLD F7 Marvell firmware into F8m for you if you want, but that kinda defeats the purpose of updating the BIOS.

I just tested C300 and Marvell on the above linked F8m BIOS tonight and it works correctly with no issues, so please test with that exact BIOS above as it should work properly for you.
              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-31-2011, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Dear admin.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

I tried to everything, but I can't solve this issue.

Please look at my issue via youtube.

Below is my BIOS setting.

Load optimized setting as soon as bios update to F8M version.(I tried to F8M MOD, F8N)
                C300 connected to IDE Channel 6 Master.

Name:	009.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	751313

Comment

But any changes happened, C300 was disappeared in bios.

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	751314

Finally I connected to Intel SATA2 port, as you recommended.
                  There is no problem. I agree it is very stable.

I don't know absolutely why this issue was happened.
                  Last edited by Eung Ho Kim; 04-04-2011, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Leave the drive on the Intel port, in SATAII_0 first SATA port, that is the best port for the C300. Marvell controller is very unstable, often it will freeze or drop a drive, so sometimes it will not be detected like you are seeing (With any BIOS)

Where did you get F8N, can you please upload and post here, thanks!

In AHCI or RAID Mode, which you should be using, you will not see C300 in the Standard CMOS pages, that is normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      Leave the drive on the Intel port, in SATAII_0 first SATA port, that is the best port for the C300. Marvell controller is very unstable, often it will freeze or drop a drive, so sometimes it will not be detected like you are seeing (With any BIOS)

Where did you get F8N, can you please upload and post here, thanks!

In AHCI or RAID Mode, which you should be using, you will not see C300 in the Standard CMOS pages, that is normal.
                      Of course, it connected to first Intel SATAII_0 port.

http://ggts.gigabyte.eu/FileList/1064496/x58aud7.f8n

I received it to GIGABYTE GTS.(Global Technical Service)

F8N improves some hardware compatibility issues.

Comment

Thanks for the BIOS.

So you are ok now with the SSD on the Intel ports, no issues or missing drives?

Comment

Thanks for the BIOS.

So you are ok now with the SSD on the Intel ports, no issues or missing drives?
                          Absolutely OK, everything is fine on the Intel ports.

Comment

OK great to hear, the Marvell ports are iffy with any BIOS, it's just how they are with fast SSD (They can't keep up with the speeds due to PCIE x1)

But, like I said before, if you want I can put the Marvell firmware from F7 BIUOS into any newer BIOS if you want, it is easy to do if you think that will help you use a newer BIOS.
                            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-04-2011, 02:29 AM.

Comment

OK great to hear, the Marvell ports are iffy with any BIOS, it's just how they are with fast SSD (They can't keep up with the speeds due to PCIE x1)

But, like I said before, if you want I can put the Marvell firmware from F7 BIUOS into any newer BIOS if you want, it is easy to do if you think that will help you use a newer BIOS.
                              Thanks, but you don't need to do so. Because Marvell port was disabled in CMOS.

Comment

Working...
                              X