Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EP45-UD3R - Crashing in Windows 7 64Bit when hot swapping SATA drives (AHCI active)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3R - Crashing in Windows 7 64Bit when hot swapping SATA drives (AHCI active)

Hello,

Been a while since I have actually swapped a drive into this particular box - but I have an EP45-UD3R that is now acting up when I insert a SATA drive in an Antec Easy Swap drive bay.

This box was build as AHCI from scratch using the retail Windows 7 64bit DVD last August. Been running great all this time. Today - I wanted to back up some files and suddenly the machine bails on any hard drive I place in the bay. I switched cables around and no change.

Running BIOS F12 and do not have the Intel AHCI drivers installed. I coulda swore this worked fine last summer.

Any ideas on what to look at?

Cheers,

VP

Re: EP45-UD3R - Crashing in Windows 7 64Bit when hot swapping SATA drives (AHCI activ

Will it boot if hdd is set to IDE? If i can you can change the registry to allow it to boot in ahci then install the drivers.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Re: EP45-UD3R - Crashing in Windows 7 64Bit when hot swapping SATA drives (AHCI activ

The drive bay maybe? How many time you changed drive in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
        The drive bay maybe? How many time you changed drive in it?
        Don't think so. I was able to get one drive (a 2008 160GB Seagate) to load correctly. However I have a couple of older 500GB Seagates (2007 era) that constantly take the OS right to blue screen....can;t quite figure out what the deal is...

These two drives load up just fine if I hot swap them into another machine...same drive bay...same OS...slightly different mobo....

VP

Comment

What I meant is that the SATA connector has limited life, maybe it is worn off.

Comment

What I meant is that the SATA connector has limited life, maybe it is worn off.

Cables are brand new - could always swap it out and try that....

Comment

Not the cables, the bay connector, the one the hard drive connects to.

Comment

Could be a drive firmware issue/conflict?

Why are you not using Intel AHCI drivers, and what ports do you have the cable for this bay connected to?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  Could be a drive firmware issue/conflict?

Why are you not using Intel AHCI drivers, and what ports do you have the cable for this bay connected to?
                  My question is - why should I bother with Intel drivers when 2 other boxes (with the same bay - one with EP45-UD3R and one with EP45-UD3L) are using the standard drivers supplied with Windows 7 AND they all have no problems reading any of these drives? In former installs using the Intel drivers...I did not get that hot swap icon in the tray so there was no way to eject a drive on the fly. After reading up on AHCI extensively - it was clear that installing Windows 7 in AHCI mode was all one needed to do. I have 3 machines like this (with bays) and they all work excellent with no Intel drivers...this one excepted of course :)

I have the bay connected to port 5 right now. It was on 4...and it was still causing issues.

Cheers,

VP
                  Last edited by Vocalpoint; 04-11-2011, 06:44 AM.

Comment

You have other machines with the same bay, it's easy to test the bay in another machine or another bay in this machine.

Comment

You have other machines with the same bay, it's easy to test the bay in another machine or another bay in this machine.

Yes - I suppose. The hassle factor is high tho :) I was hoping that I would not have to do that...but it's probably a good thing to do.

VP

Comment

Working...
                      X