asrock 870 extreme 3 core unlocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock 870 extreme 3 core unlocking

when i first got my motherboard & cpu i decided to give core unlocking a shot, but got mixed results - cpu would be recognised by mobo as a phenom II x4 b45 & would boot into windows, but then the strange stuff would start happening. programs would start freezing, the cpu temp sensors where shot to hell & when i ran prime95, one of the threads would crash within seconds. other 3 threads where fine, so i presumed this was related to an error on the newly unlocked core & gave up. i never got a bsod, just errors on anything i attempted to run.
    now i'm wondering if it would be worth it to persist & try to find a solution. i'm pretty much a newbie to core unlocking, just recently switching over to amd. i have no problems with the theory, but minimal practical experience with it, only my recent attempts with this mobo & cpu. just looking for some insight from others who have experienced similar effects when core unlocking & their knowledge of how they managed to solve the problem, if there even is a solution (or should i just give up & be happy with 3 cores?)
    currently running an 870 extreme3 with P1.60 bios. I've tried uninstalling the cpu before restarting & then enabling ucc, but with no joy. tried decreasing the multi of the unlocked core to find stability but still no joy, tried increased volts to find stability, same issues occur. is this a lost cause or am i missing something?
    Last edited by Jpoos; 04-28-2011, 10:36 PM.

Re: asrock 870 extreme 3 core unlocking

I would definitely play aroud with voltages, NB speeds etc. However, beyond that there wouldn't be much you could do to stablize a semi working core. Worth trying a manual setting for ACC (even though it states place it in Auto and then activate the unlocking function, named differently for each MoBo vendor).

You may get that core to cooperate with a bit more juice and some small tweaks but other than that, you've probably got one of those "teaser chips" that unlock, get you all excited then decide not to work properly.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 04-30-2011, 03:59 PM.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Re: asrock 870 extreme 3 core unlocking

lol, a week of fiddling with settings, swearing & banging my head off the desk & no joy shame. looks like i'll be switching up to zambesi in a couple months anyway, so i'm sure this cpu will find a better home with some family member or friend. thanks anyway :)

Comment

Working...
      X