Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP X58A-UD5 Ver 2.0 and Intel i7-970

Are there any compatibility problems with the Intel 970 and the
    X58A-UD5 Ver 2.0 board, with the FD Bois.

The problem I'm having is everything works well from booting into bios, to Windows
    XP PRO x86 loading and running.

But when I want to restart or turn the computer off, it does not do either one.

The system just hangs, not restarting or shutting down, I have to turn the power off
    to shut down the computer, or push the reset button, it is not done by the OS.

All bios values are set to optimized settings.

Re: HELP X58A-UD5 Ver 2.0 and Intel i7-970

How much memory do you have and what model, does it has XMP profile and what it Profile QPI Voltage?
    For 6GB of high speed/low latency memory more than default QPI is usually needed, try 1.2-1.3v if Profile QPI Voltage is less than this.

Comment

After 12 hours of working on the board, using all different bios settings, reloading windows 6 times, it boils down to USB 3.0, even with me updating the firmware and all drivers. I have to say it more of a bios problem then anything else, the bios need to be modified for the Intel 970 CPU. Since I'm using Optimized setting in the Bios the voltage and settings for the memory for the setting of 1333 is all correct with respect to SPD settings. Gigabyte should look into the bios for the Intel 970 six core CPU.

Comment

Are these clean installs of XP, or images restored to the drive?

Did you update the USB 3 firmware, that might help with those issues? Here is the latest

Firmware

Drivers

And the latest BIOS (FE7) could help with any CPU related issues, which you mention but I don't really see any issues about?
        x58aud5fe7.exe

You will need to use the latest @BIOS to flash FE5 or above because Qflash get's updated and the BIOS size changes

Comment

Yes I updated the firmware for the USB 3. I still have to
          keep the USB 3.0 turned off in the bios for the system to
          boot and reset by the OS (WIN XP PRO x32), without having
          to hit the reset button, or to turn the system off by holding
          the power button in until the system shuts down.

Doing more testing, I used the Linx 0.6.4 for stress testing
          Under this testing I used all Optimized settings in the Bios
          Ver FE and the FE7, for the X58A-UD5 (Ver 2.0) board, not
          changing any Bios settings for the i7-970.

With the Multi Threading turned (on) the highest Gflop was 43786
          With the multi Threading turned (off) the highest Gflop was 61450
          Linx test run was--Problem size: 10000, Memory (MB): 772, Run 10 times

I have a sesond x58A-UD5 (Ver 2.0) board with the i7-950 installed
          Doing the same test with Linx 0.6.4 using Optimized Bios settings
          Ver FE and the FE7, not changing any Bios settings for the 950.

The test resusts with Multi Threading (on), I got 42567 Gflops
          then with the Multi Threading turned (off), I got 43745 Gflops

I checked with the Linx people and they assured me the the
          presnt Linx program 0.6.4 is able to be used by all the
          core six i7's 1366. that the 970, 990X. 980X CPU, without
          any problems.

I checked my 970 with the Intel Processor Diagnostic
          Tool for the i7 CPU's....it passed all tests without
          any problems. So it's not the CPU.

With the large Gflop spread between the Multi Threading
          turned (on) and turned (off) for the 970, I again think it boils
          down to the BIOS problems with the six core CPU.

Comment

Yes on the reinstall of the OS, they were all clean installs.

Comment

Hexa core CPU will always get more Gflops, and any CPU will always get more with HT off. Did you install SP3 on the XP yet?

Have you tested with the case power and reset cables removed? If not do that now, use a screw driver to start the system, and then see if it shuts down properly within windows, if so you have a cable, switch, or connection issue.

Comment

The version of XP I'm using has SP3 built it. I'm also up to date on all fixes,
                and updates from Microsoft for XP Pro x32.

All drivers are also up to date, taking all of them from this website, chipset,
                storage, internet, USB, and video.

I understand what your staying about the Power Supply cable problem.

But what I did was to switch the CPU's between the two x58A-UD5 (Ver 2) boards
                I have, putting the 950 in the board that had the 970 in it, and put the 970 in
                the board that had the 950 in it. Using Optimized Bios settings on both boards,
                re-setting the Optimized settings when I installed the CPU, and using both the
                Bios FE and F7e, on both boards.

The board that had the 970 in it that was giving me all the problem, is now running
                without any problems with the 950 in it, it shuts down and resets by the OS with
                no problems. And the board that I put the 970 in is giving me the same problems.

So is it the 970 CPU compatibility issue with the x58A-UD5 (Ver 2) board.

I read in on the Gigabyte site that the 970 was able to run on this board
                starting with BIOS FB. But what does that mean?????

Does it mean that the BIOS will know it's the 970 CPU and post it at boot up, and/or
                does it mean that the BIOS was modified to work with a six core CPU, and be
                compatible with the board???

Comment

Hmm, I've not seen anyone else with these issues so it could be a faulty CPU, but you could be on to something.

Please send in a report here and see if they can test, thanks!
                  GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

That means from F8 onwards the 970 CPU is fully tested and compatible, it may run on older BIOSes but may not be fully compatible.

Comment

Working...
                  X