Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P67-UD3P-B3 Firewire in PCI-e 2.0 slot not working

Hello

So I'm trying to get my firewire card and external sound card to work on my new build. All drivers and bios are updated and I have a SIIG Firewire 400 card installed from my previous system. Card installed fine and proper drivers got installed and my extrenal sound card is recognized and connects BUT there is simply no sound and it cause youtube and mp3 to be super choppy during playback.

I have tested the card in another computer with the soundcard and it's fine. I have literally done everything under the sun in terms of tweaking and/or troubleshooting the soundcard and everything is pointing to an issue with the MOBO. I tried the firewire card in the 3 pci-e 2.0 slots (the small ones) and each time, thing installs but then no sound. When I turn off the soundcard, no choppyness issues.

Also, there is no other cards (except video) or other firewire devices plugged in. There is also no wireless card involved and i have tested with disabled onboard LAN. I even tried it in both XP and Windows 7 using both types of firewire drivers. It's is a very high quality firewire card and it's running the TI chipset (as said before...works fine on several other systems I tested it with today).

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Re: GA-P67-UD3P-B3 Firewire in PCI-e 2.0 slot not working

Did you disable Azalia in the BIOS? If not, please do and see if that fixes this.

Comment

I did that and nothing changed. I dare say its like the power to the pci-e ports is not constant.

Comment

different firewire card works fine when in just a regular PCI slot.

is there any way that the PCI-E slots could be malfunctioning?
        Is there any BIOS settings that might need to be set in order to get them function properly?

Comment

There's not any BIOS settings to change PCIE functions really.

It could be a faulty slot but I'm not sure on that since you tested different slots. This sounds like a driver or windows configuration issue, because you mentioned it does install and allow drivers to install, but then no sound, so I think it's not a hardware issue due to that.

Sorry I can't help more though as I don't use firewire devices or external sound cards (Didn't even know there was such a thing).

I think it would be best for you to discuss this with Gigabyte Tech Support directly, you can do that here
          GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

Be sure you give them the full specs and model numbers, ect for the firewire card and external audio device, it may just be an incompatibility or you need to configure something in windows.

Comment

as i said before, it works fine (totally pnp ready) on the previous system and on my test system and i tried with both xp and win 7.

I sent off an email to the techs and I hope this works out. I had to buy a regular pci firewire card in the meantime which kinda sucks but at least its working. I just would really like my high end pci-e card to work as well.

thanks again!

Comment

So you would know about any driver or configuration hoops you might have to jump through then right, since you have already used it on other setups.

Might just be incompatible, or they need to change something in a BIOS for you. What Gigabyte board had you used this on previously, if any, and if so did you also tell them that in your email?

Comment

my previous system and my test system both use asus boards. this is my first experience with gigabyte and if you possible read some of my other forums, i'm not have a good one :(

i upgraded tonight to the new bios release and things have gotten stranger. The board now has a connection established because it shows up in the devices but there is no other connection reported in the device software itself.

i'm going to report all this to gigabyte and to the soundcard manufacturer. i really hope this is all just software based because i'm told RMAing takes weeks to complete :(

Comment

Ahh ok, sorry to hear!

Where do you live? Yes RMA usually takes about 2 weeks, but depends on where you live and what if anything is wrong with the board.

Comment

I live near montreal.

So apparently, the issue might be the fact that windows 7 keeps assigning too much to the IRQ channel and I can't reassign the device to a different irq even when i change PCI-E slots.

This is everything on the IRQ it's sitting on. The texas instruments bit is the firewire controller.
                    ----
                    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C00 OK
                    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C08 OK
                    IRQ 19 Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller OK
                    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E OK
                    IRQ 19 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
                    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 - 1C1E OK

Comment

Try control + F1 on the MAIN page of the BIOS, the screen will flash, then you will see a new section called PnP/PCI and there might be IRQ options in there, I can't remember if that is on P67 or not but it's worth checking.

As is, if you move it to another port do you get the same IRQ's? They all say OK, so it doesn't appear to be causing a conflict.

Comment

control f1 does bring up that menu but the only option is PCI latency checker.

i'm starting to get ready to give up. been almost 2 weeks now and i'm wasting so much time on this :(

Comment

Ahh sorry man!

So when yo move it does it still get the same IRQ's, if so then that can't be the issue. Have you tried clearing the CMOS fully (few hours) then loading optimized, rebooting to BIOS to set SATA/Disk settings, ect and see if that fixes it?

If not try that, other than that I'm not sure what else you can do except wait to hear back from Gigabyte or the firewire company.

Comment

thanks anyways :)

I just decided to go with a regular pci firewire card and it works. Tired of dealing with this particular headache and for $25, I just made it go away :P

I'll put the other one in another computer and I'm going to hope I don't get too much of a performance hit between the pci and pci-e card.

Comment

Sorry I couldn't help you figure it out! But glad to hear you got a new card that works fine, and sounds like it was pretty cheap too so that's a bonus!

Comment

Working...
                              X