Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-P55A-UD4 + ultra durable gtx 480 not compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P55A-UD4 + ultra durable gtx 480 not compatible?

hey there, as the title says, i have a ud4, and recently got a gigabyte 480 for sli
    now, for the most part it works great, but whenever i reboot i have to reinstall the gpu drivers or the card will not be detected at all and the screen runs in default resolution of 6/800
    the nvidia drivers pop up and tell me no compatible hardware detected

it is in sli mode, with an nvidia reference 480 don't know if that's an issue?
    they both appear in device manager when the drivers say otherwise.. i'm very confused!
    the gpu / memory / ect are the same frequency, and it scales perfectly in sli mode when i reinstall the drivers so it does work.. just this boot issue? seems very odd!
    i did try reinstalling the motherboard drivers too, but that had 0 effect
    using a 1200w be-quiet psu, so plenty of juice on boot..

this is only since installing the second card, so have i done something stupid?
    any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Re: GA-P55A-UD4 + ultra durable gtx 480 not compatible?

Any same model card should work in sli,try using the latest drivers including beta drivers from NVIDIA site,try using driversweeper and fully uninstall the drivers,for sli I thin you have to add one card,install drivers,reboot,add second card,reinstall drivers,reboot

Oh and use latest mb bios
    Last edited by wazza300; 05-25-2011, 06:04 AM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

what is the latest bios for that board? i did update it a few months back but i forget the versions i have the 'unlocked performance' splash screen i believe it was f14 ?
      and ill give the card reinstall a go first, thanks for reply!

Comment

It's the ud4? Not ud4p?

Here's f15 bios for ud4,remember to flash with qflash

Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

apparently it is the ud4, not the 'p'
          i'll try the qflash now then, i had no luck with reinstalling the cards though i did note if i don't configure sli, and just leave card 2 as a physics card i can reboot just fine
          but on doing so, i loose the option to set sli in the nvidia options, and again need to reinstall the drivers..
          i did note the motherboard manual mentions that the pcie 16 ( main card slot ) will run at 8x mode and share 8 with the other card in sli mode, could that cause the driver to go nuts on reboot? or is that the norm ?

Comment

ok i flashed the bios and it went in no troubles tried enabling sli again but no joy, it's still being a stubborn moo.

i have tried installing them as admin too, that made no difference
            and i have been cleaning between installs
            any other ideas? or should i try removing a card again and starting over with f15?

Comment

It's up to you,I think you can disable usb3 and it will run at 16x 8x,but at 8x 8x it shouldn't affect anything,seemslike NVIDIA drivers or bios as it doesn't do it when sli isn't enabled
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

yes, it really does seem like a software glitch at this point i'll get onto the nv forums and see what they think thanks for the help waz!

Comment

Originally posted by Lug View Post
                  yes, it really does seem like a software glitch at this point i'll get onto the nv forums and see what they think thanks for the help waz!
                  Is the second GTX480 bought "used"? If so, how old is it? You might try flashing both GTX480s to their latest BIOS. (Yes, you can flash video card's BIOS! Just Google nvflash.) I have two BFG GTX260s in SLI that would occasionally freeze the screen followed by "the video card has stop responding" message. I fixed it by flashing the older card with the BIOS from the newer one.

SLI works best with cards of identical brand and model. Failing that, latest or matching BIOS would be desirable. Flashing video card BIOS is not as scary as it sounds, especially in SLI setup with two cards. Just flash one card at a time, using the other, non-flashing card as primary video. That way you could always flash back the old BIOS if the new one fails. Remember to backup the original BIOS!
                  Last edited by Yikes2000; 05-25-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Yes, i did think about the same brand / model issue, the 'newer' ultra durable gigabyte one was b-stock because it was mispackaged and was missing the driver / utility 'prodalizer' cd but it appears to be completely functional and all the status led's on the back light up the 'ud-vga' has it's own diagnostic, and it was sealed up nicely in it's anti static bag
                    it 'seems' to be new, it was ordered from overclockers.co.uk

and it does work, i get noticeable sli scaling when it decides it wants to ( every other time i reboot and install drivers.. )

also, i haven't tried making the ud-vga the master card or switching them around because the top card is watercooled and the tubes will not reach to the bottom slot..

the only thing i haven't tried sofar is plugging it into another computer and seeing if it works there, which i may do at some point if i can find someone willing to let me destroy their rig to test, any volunteers? :D

honestly i hadn't thought of flashing the card's bios

will the ud-vga and a stock 480 accept the same bios?
                    ill check out your link now, thanks!
                    Last edited by Lug; 05-26-2011, 01:47 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

after doing a bit of research, the two cards i have apparently use the same bios anyway, but there is a newer one so i'll have a go at flashing it and tell you how it goes later.. if i still have a pc.. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Lug View Post
                        after doing a bit of research, the two cards i have apparently use the same bios anyway, but there is a newer one so i'll have a go at flashing it and tell you how it goes later.. if i still have a pc.. :D
                        The latest BIOS I could find for GIGABYTE GeForce GTX480 Super Overclock (I assume that's what you have): ver. 5.95.0.1

Which versions of BIOS are on your GTX480s?

P.S. I just remembered a small quirk about nvflash addressing SLI video cards. You need to execute 'nvflash --list' to see the indices, either 0 & 1 or 1 & 2. Then use '--index=0' and '--index=1'. (My GTX260s on GA-P55-UD4P motherboard uses 0 & 1.) After you backup the BIOS, nvflash will display the BIOS version.
                        Last edited by Yikes2000; 05-26-2011, 02:44 AM.

Comment

it's not a soc, its the same as the first one just with a funky pcb and cooler
                          the latest stock clock ones according to tech power up are
                          Nvidia : 100401
                          Gigabyte : 100414
                          so I'll try both and see what happens

Comment

cant seem to make nvflash do anything, the second i enter any character into the input it brings up help before i can enter anything else

Comment

You can flash gigabyte cards with their own flashing program,it should be on their website,as for nvflash I have no idea,I don't know if winflash flashes NVIDIA cards too,I know it flashes ATI cards

Use gpu-z to see your bios version,you can even save your current bios your pc so you can flash back if needed
                              Last edited by wazza300; 05-26-2011, 05:17 AM.
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                              X