UD4-B3/2500k o/c problems... still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UD4-B3/2500k o/c problems... still

Well, its been a while since I tried overclocking past 4.3ghz because my CPU just doesn't seem to be able to. But last night I was bored.

Anyway, tried vcore all the way up to 1.350v before giving up. Under load, thats around 1.335v. And after 5 hours prime95 crashed and I got x124 bsod code.

I have tried with and without turbo, PLL overvoltage on/off, raised vtt voltage up to 1.14, raised system agent voltage up to 0.945v, the ram has been tested over night for stability and it passes, disabled all power saving options, and still I can't get 4.4ghz stable.

For RAM I have Mushkin 996988 Kit. 1600mhz, 1.35v low voltage kit, 2x4gb sticks.

I am using the F4 bios, but have used all of them. I also flashed my backup to F4 as well.

Am I missing something or do I have the worst 2500k... in the world?
    Last edited by thetanine; 05-31-2011, 09:20 AM.

Re: UD4-B3/2500k o/c problems... still

You can use up to 1.2v qpi/vtt voltage,maybe you needed more? Try enabling cpu pll and qpi pll instead of on auto
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Did you try voltaeg hgher than 1.35v with the ram?
      Last I read, max vcore for 2nd gen PUs was 1.52v, so 1.35v is quite far from "all the way up".

Comment

I have manually set the qpi voltage, sa voltage, and enabled pll overvoltage and it doesn't improve stability.

As far as the "all the way up" to 1.52v.... that seems ridiculously high. I don't think any chip would last long at that voltage. All I am trying to do is reach 4.4ghz stable and I said " i have went all the way up to 1.350v".

1.350v is very very high for only a 4.4ghz overclock, and I still can't get stable. I was just wondering if I was missing something.

Thanks

Comment

I never said you should go all the way up to 1.52v, I just said that 1.35v is far from it.
          I don't know hwo you make your assumptions of which CPU will last in what voltage, I myself read the specs by intel, and 1.52v is the top of VID range as well as max vcore.
          Which default voltage you wen all the way up from?
          And there is still the question of DRAM Voltage, what is it set to and what frequency?

Comment

124 BSOD on P67 is Vcore issue not Vtt, so you likely need more.

1.35 may seem like a lot, but all CPU's are different so it may just be that you have one that needs more than others is all - I get them often :(

Comment

My 2500K needs 1.4 V to get 4.4 GHz stable, which is also the highest clock at which the PC boots without PLL overvoltage enabled.

Comment

Thanks for your input on this Azzkiker, I think he just needs more Vcore is all!

Not all CPU's are going to be 4.5-5Ghz with low voltages, so people just need to keep that in mind and try more voltage when they want to push. Then if they decide it takes way to much for said Ghz they can back off to a voltage they are comfortable with.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	c test.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	751418tho im now on evil asrock ;)

the board has auto overclock settings for 4.2-4.8 ghz

They all work on my i5 2500k without adjustment except for 4.8ghz ,ill explain that in a minute but the voltages are approximately as follows.4.4ghz I dont use at all.

I wont go into the eufi settings as theyre different to gigabyte.

4.6 ghz = 1.365v cpu llc is at 5(lowest setting)1.36v is what is applied and shown on entering bios.
                  under turbo and full load the applied v increases to 1.41 v approx and is stable under testing . cpu temp readings go up to 65-70C approx.
                  with speedstep and cpu on a x 16 at idle voltage goes way down of course to like 1.1 v.

These are voltages that are automatically applied by the mbrd manufacturer so cant really be thought of as being extreme.

4.8ghz base voltage of 1.39v increasing to 1.44 v at times under load and testing,but to make it stable I have to either increase llc off the base lvl or increase the amount of extra v that is allowed to be applied in turbo mode to 1.458v
                  That is the highest auto setting the board provides,but you can see the voltages it applies are high. cpu temps reach 72-78c

On the above settings there is no speed clipping with the cpu slipping down to a x43 multiplier say,mid testing.

For 5ghz I need an initial applied v of 1.43 and turbo headroom up to 1.52v,I dont like to go above that because of the cpu v limit.

At that speed the cpu will test ,and temps reach 80-85C .
                  Its just nice to know the cpu will do 5ghz but it isnt worth the fan noise for the small performance increase.Its like my older 775 cpu,near the cpu limit needs more volts.
                  Ive seen some 2000k cpu's running 5ghz at 1.33-1.35 ,so the owners say anyway but whether that is a boot voltage and then a large turbo voltage is applied or not I dont know.

Pll overvoltage enabled(if your bios supports it): the general opinion is that it provides 100-200 mhz at hi cpu clocks 4.8-5.2 ghz ,but below that doesnt help much /at all.
                  I only use it for 5ghz testing(like 2 hrs total so far !)
                  Last edited by kick; 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM.
                  Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                  Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                  Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                  8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                  60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                  GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                  Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                  http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Its been a while since I made this thread, but I just wan't to let everyone know that I have found stability at 4.5ghz. The only problem is, it takes 1.4v in bios with LLC enabled to achieve this.

Under load it drops down to 1.38v to 1.39v. Temps are fine though. Anyone think it would be okay to run it at that volts?

Comment

Q:Is it ok to run at those volts?

A: Thats up to you no one wants to be "blamed" ,in a "he said it was ok sense.

When I got my sandy system,from reading reviews etc, I assumed things like:

1.Easy overclocks ,low voltages,connect it up and away we go.

Thats true up to a point,in that its very easy/easier than on previous intel cpu's to get a 1ghz speed increase with up to 1.36Vcore ,maybe a little more.

I had assumed also that the max core v would be lower than my 775quad,thinner chip lower max voltage allowed etc .

From any max core voltages mentioned in intel sheets tho the 2000k limit is quaoted as .07v higher than my q cpu..

Batch numbers on 2000k cpu's do seem to make a difference also as to whether u get a "good one".

In general tho from what Ive read and personal experience .

Group reviews of p67(different manufacturers) boards get the 2000k processors to 4.8 to 4.9 ghz without goin wild on settings.

Somewhere around the 1ghz speed increase mark 4.3ghz for 2500k and 4.4ghz for the 2600k voltage needed and heat generated seem to increase exponentially as chip speed increases.

As I said above Im running 1.39-1.4V base for 4.8ghz (x48) and increasing to 1.43-1.47v ,under test/load without speed clipping. Temps 65-75c under full load.Ive been running that for around 6 months now.
                      Some people run the cpu with more V, and there was a bios release allowing 1.72 to be passed to the cpu, seems some were complaining 1.52 max wasnt high enough!

Short answer.As long as your temps dont go above 80C and cpu core doesnt go above 1.52 at full turbo you should be ok .I would guess :)
                      Last edited by kick; 07-22-2011, 05:21 AM.
                      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                      http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
                      X