Z68 Pro3-M virtu and sound issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68 Pro3-M virtu and sound issue

I've got a couple minor problems with my Z68 Pro3-M. System specs are as follows:

CPU: i5-2500k
    RAM: 8GB 1333 g-skill
    GPU: asus GTX 460 1gb
    MB: asrock pro3-m

The system was working fine until yesterday when two (seemingly) unrelated things happened. The first is my speakers stopped automatically muting when I plugged headphones into my front panel audio port. I tried fiddling with the realtek settings and couldn't find anything to fix it, and reinstalled drivers to no avail.

The second problem is virtu spontaneously stopped working correctly. It didn't throw any errors, but games and video benchmarks started trying to access the HD graphics instead of the GTX 460, and understandably failing. I should clarify that I was running in virtu-d mode, with my monitor directly connected to the graphics card and not the motherboard video ports. Again, I tried messing with virtu settings, and tried reinstalling. The only thing that worked was uninstalling the intel HD graphics drivers and virtu entirely. I can play games again, but it'd be kinda nice to be able to use quicksync. I can't figure out what could have caused these two things to spontaneously stop working at roughly the same time, although both roughly coincided with installation of the Witcher.

Any thoughts, ideas, or help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Apologies if this is a duplicate issue, I ran a search for virtu and sound issues before I posted and couldn't come up with anything. If there's a topic that covers this already, please point me in the right direction.

Re: Z68 Pro3-M virtu and sound issue

Even tho my system is similar to yours except p67 instead of z68,ive no idea on virtu..maybe u can disable it :).

The realtek audio thing with no detection of and auto muting,Ive had problems with before..I would have to fire up my old system to get the setting change.Even when that is enabled the detection seemed hit and miss.
    I will check it out later if you cant find a soln ,BUT the thing that fixed it for me was when I got my hec case and it worked on both my gigabyte and current asrock boards.
    The reason is the front panel sound header lead has two motherboard connections,one is labelled realtek the other isnt.
    Try the other one if u have the option, thats what works for me.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Re: Z68 Pro3-M virtu and sound issue

Originally posted by kick View Post
      Even tho my system is similar to yours except p67 instead of z68,ive no idea on virtu..maybe u can disable it :).

The realtek audio thing with no detection of and auto muting,Ive had problems with before..I would have to fire up my old system to get the setting change.Even when that is enabled the detection seemed hit and miss.
      I will check it out later if you cant find a soln ,BUT the thing that fixed it for me was when I got my hec case and it worked on both my gigabyte and current asrock boards.
      The reason is the front panel sound header lead has two motherboard connections,one is labelled realtek the other isnt.
      Try the other one if u have the option, thats what works for me.
      Thanks for your reply!

To clarify, I can and have disabled virtu entirely - by uninstalling it and the HD3000 graphics drivers. Now my computer is functioning fine with the discrete graphics, exactly as though I were using a P67 board. I was just wondering if anyone had had a similar problem, because I would like to be able to enable it as before to gain access to quicksync again.

With regards to my front audio problem, I do have 2 headers, but they both go into the same wire, and both are for realtek. One is AC '97 and the other is for HD audio. I'm currently using HD audio, but I'll try and switch to the other and see if that fixes anything.
      Last edited by vorpalfish; 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM. Reason: grammar mistake

Comment

Working...
      X