GA-X58A-UD3R + intel i7 950 idle high, run hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD3R + intel i7 950 idle high, run hot

I just recently purchased a new machine and have been experiencing high temps (I think). I'm not really technically inclined when it comes to specifics but I know my way around a computer well enough to get by. I have the x58 ud3r board with an i7 950, corsair H60 water cooling with an additional cooler master 120mm fan attached, Haf X case with both 200mm fans on top, and NZXT sensor. Not sure if graphics cards matter but 2 GTX 560 ti as well. When I first start up my computer it'll idle anywhere from 35-45 and as soon as I start running anything it gradually heats up to ~50-55, depending on what I'm running close to 60. I havn't let it get over 60 yet so I don't really know how high it actually goes.

Now I actually started out initially with only the 1 200mm fan on the top (back), and no cooler master fan on the other side of the H60. But the temperatures remain unchanged since adding the extra 2 fans. All other sensors including the graphics cards, RAM, and storage devices stay pretty low with the graphics cards so far peaking at 35. I've looked around a little bit and people look to run at 40-45 after hours where I get almost 60 temps after 20 minutes. All fans are working fine.

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R + intel i7 950 idle high, run hot

Have you tried remounting the H60? You have to use just enough thermal compound to little or to much is not good. Also make sure you have it tightened enought but not overtight.

It is suggested not to let core temps go above 80c loaded for 24/7 use.

Also what is your room temp? this will affect temps also.

The H60 is a good Entry level water cooling unit, it is not a full custom water cooling so temps wont be as great as others who are water cooling.

If you have not already set up the H60 with Push/Pull fan setup.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

What CPU voltage are you using? If auto what's it using? The h60 coolers are improved so you should be seeing decent temps,it will shoot up high depending on what your doing then should go back down again and idle temps should be around 38-43c,maybe lower at stock clocks
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have not tried remounting the H60 yet. How much is a good amount to put on, I'm never really sure if I'm putting too much on or not. I usually place 3 small dabs which after placing the heat sink on, fastening it, then removing leaves a decent sized layer over most of it. Any tips on that?

My PC is downstairs in the basement which typically sits around 10-15C.

The H60 seemed like a good reliable unit, I wasnt too sure about the full custom water cooling. Not going to lie I'm a bit lazy and I was told those require a decent amount of management and I currently work a lot lol. As for the push/pull fan setup I'm not sure what that means so I'll take a looksee into that.

Also, I just checked my BIOS to double check voltages and whatnot and theres a huge difference between what NZXT and BIOS are telling me. NZXT currently says 45 (sensor right next to the CPU, not between sink and CPU) and BIOS says 60. If it matters any, every single fan is kicking out quite cool air and theres a ton of room to breath outside and inside the case (cables are very neatly placed and tons of space for airflow). Is it possible theres a false reading somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
          What CPU voltage are you using? If auto what's it using? The h60 coolers are improved so you should be seeing decent temps,it will shoot up high depending on what your doing then should go back down again and idle temps should be around 38-43c,maybe lower at stock clocks
          I believe the voltage was at 1.28v, its set to auto. Everything is currently running stock, I'm not sure how to overclock so I havn't bothered until I figure out what I'm doing.

Comment

Try setting CPU voltage to normal in voltage list,use whatever's the lowest normal vs auto,best to apply a small blob of thermal paste and spread it with card or finger as thinly as you can,you just want cover the metal surface,check you fans are the right way round so that they blow are out of the case,usually you can find an arrow stampedinto the fan showing air direction

Push/pull fans means one either side of the heatsink/radiator pushing and pulling air through it
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Try setting CPU voltage to normal in voltage list,use whatever's the lowest normal vs auto,best to apply a small blob of thermal paste and spread it with card or finger as thinly as you can,you just want cover the metal surface,check you fans are the right way round so that they blow are out of the case,usually you can find an arrow stampedinto the fan showing air direction

Push/pull fans means one either side of the heatsink/radiator pushing and pulling air through it
              Ooh ok, man I'll feel like a complete tool if I put the fan on backwards lol. I guess I'll have to go check that, and while I'm at it I'll reapply some thermal paste. Is there any specific brand for thermal paste that would be best or is it all the same?

Comment

Arctic mx2 or mx4,tuniq tx3 suposed to be the best,better than arctic silver,you want cool air sucked in from the front or if you have a side door fan again sucking in air to cool your gpu's and rear fans or top mounted case fans sucking hot air out
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Alright, I have a bit of work ahead of me then. Looks like the front and side fans are blowing out cool air, should be fun taking the case apart again lol. Can't hurt to reapply some thermal paste as well while I'm at it. Thanks so much for all the help I'll update shortly.

Comment

Well I just don't know what to do now. Everything appears to be working, I'm assuming the H60 is working but I don't really know how to check. The fan on the back is blowing out cool, top is blowing out cool as well, front and side fans are working properly and in the right direction (although the LED on the front fan stopped working for some reason, but the fan still works regardless). The H60 is very hot to touch as are the cords running to the rad. I've completely replaced the thermal paste and it didn't end up changing a thing once I let it idle again, or even idle in a game (spiked at 80). Sitting in BIOS it sits at 55-60. I took the voltage off auto and set it to normal, should I set it lower? I don't really understand the values and what they mean (BIOS has always confused me). Could I have a faulty CPU? Mobo? Frustrating =(

Comment

Are you measuring core temeratures or CPU temperatures?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                        Are you measuring core temeratures or CPU temperatures?
                        CPU. core temps were all 45-50 (I actually just finally found where the core temps were lol). CPU temp is still at 55-60. I just lowered the volage down from 1.24 I think it was at, to 1.17. It also says in the bios that the CPU is running at ~3.2, but when I go into the advanced frequency settings it says its running 3.06 (which is what the 950 is specced at).
                        The thermal paste I used was Arctic Silver 5 and I was suggested to use Arctic mx2/4, would it really make the difference of the ~20 degree's cooler I should be running at?

Comment

Even with arctic silver 5,its still on the high side mx4 would improve temps a little,did you lower temps to a fixed manual setting or set to normal? If fixed voltage it won't throttle down in speed/voltages at idle,3.2ghz is correct I think with Intel turbo boost?
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Even with arctic silver 5,its still on the high side mx4 would improve temps a little,did you lower temps to a fixed manual setting or set to normal? If fixed voltage it won't throttle down in speed/voltages at idle,3.2ghz is correct I think with Intel turbo boost?
                            Yes, 3.2ghz is with the turbo boost on. I turned it off, just to see what would happen. Still nothing. Switched the CPU FAN over to the NB FAN and that did nothing so I'm going to just assume the connectors are all working.
                            I put most everything on standard/normal (off of auto) except for voltage I did manually, which is now down to 1.15 and its done nothing. After the computer has been on for 5 minutes its still sitting at 55 idle temp in bios.

Comment

Going to upload a vid of my bios settings, I've already changed a couple things but don't want to muck around too much more incase I start screwing things up.

Edit: Youtube / watch?v=JwTyU4g7ee4

Jeez sorry, thats horrible quality. If its too foggy lemme know and I will hook up my monitor so I can get a better recording.
                              Last edited by Mike_R; 06-17-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X