Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-X58A-OC = The Bclk Dreamer's Secret Weapon Of Choice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-OC = The Bclk Dreamer's Secret Weapon Of Choice!

GA-X58A-OC = The Bclk Dreamer's Secret Weapon Of Choice!

Hi Guys - Long time no see!!!

So, I've been working on my review of the X58A-OC motherboard quite intricately, and for a very long time, and thought I'd give you all a nice preview of what's to come. I'm sorry it's been so long since you've heard from me but there's just been some things on the home-front have put me way behind is all, so I haven't had a chance to be online for a while. PM me for more info if you wanna chat about it - it's nothing serious though. Anyway, thought I'd drop in a little hint of my review before I have it finished up - which will hopefully be later this week.

I've been super excited to be working on the OC board review in general, but I've been even more excited since this past week's Bclk testing - I've been dying to share some of these results from the uber cool X58A-OC motherboard with you guys. I know from my previous Bclk testing with other CPU's for my review that the OC board can deliver some massive Bclk's, but WOW, I had no clue how much it could do until I dropped in an unsuspecting CPU!!!

I had not tested this CPU's Bclk-ability for a very long time, since way back when 222 was the going limit on many boards without doing a hard mod, and even then I think I could only get 231 or so out of it. I'm so glad I decided to play with this CPU for a while last week, it has proven to handle a much higher Bclk than any of my other processors. This old C0/C1 920 CPU and the X58A-OC board blast out very impressive results, and this is only on phase cooling too. I haven't had a chance to test this CPU on this board with dry ice yet, but I hope to do that soon now that I've seen these results, and I suspect I'll be able to reach 275 or higher possibly!!

In my review I will include a video for anyone who may think these results are from the Bclk going crazy as you reach the limit of stability, as this is for sure not going on here as I've not seen that with this CPU yet, and normally that puts your Bclk into the 300's anyway. The video I'll be using shows me in the BIOS at 133 Bclk, setting 255 and booting to windows, then upping the Bclk to 265!!! I made the video back when 265 was all I could do, but since then I've tested and found a few tweaks that helped me to push it a little further, if I find the time to make a new video of 133 to 255 and then to 268+ I'll use it in the review instead.

Anyway, that's enough yappin on an on :) time for some results!!

Hardware Used:
    GIGABYTE GA-X58A-OC
    Intel i7-920 C0/C1 ES (And NO, this is not a golden sample - not even close)
    Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz 998679 - 2x2GB
    PNY FX5500 128MB PCI (Probably not needed - used out of habit I suppose)
    Crucial C300 128 GB SSD
    NZXT Hale90 750W PSU
    Custom Built Phase Change Setup By Sdumper @ OCN / XS

All of the above results are my higher Validations for this CPU, for now, and I'm hiding those last few as I plan to only share my highest result as part of my review.

For now, here are some results that are a bit under the max I've reached as those will be part of my review.

268.48 Bclk 4C/8T

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Update!! (Decided to post my best because I'm submitting this article for a news post)

269.28 Bclk 4c/8t

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Hardware news, Overclocking Competitions, Reviews

Update 2!!

275+ Bclk

Just smashed the current world record, here's a sneak peak (IE Not my highest)! Also made a video booting at 260 and then going up to 275 in windows :)

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Current X58 HWBot records :D

250 PI 32MB

Click to enlarge - This is not tweaked, nor max GHz, just showing the ease & usability of high Bclk for 2D benches, and again, this is not the max I've been able to run so far either as seen above.

For anyone who is thinking of upgrading their current 1366 board, or looking to move into 1366 territory, then I'd seriously suggest that you take a look at Gigabyte's GA-X58A-OC, this board is the best 1366 board I've ever had the honor to play with and it's been nothing but a pleasure!!!

This board is simply awesome, that's all I've been able to say to myself over and over again, the X58A-OC has been impressive beyond belief!

Full review will follow shortly, hopefully this week!!

Enjoy!

* Update *

As an update to this thread, I've broken the X58 world record after these results, follow this thread for more info:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/overcloc...6-42-bclk.html

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap
    I felt I needed to add this in, I see many people commenting that this is a golden or binned CPU. In reality it's more like the exact opposite, this was likely a bottom of the barrel and that's why it was sent my way to learn with!

To anyone thinking this is a binned CPU, it FOR SURE IS NOT!!!

This CPU was sent my way back when X58 came out, and was only sent to me so that I could learn X58 to better be able to help others with their issues. This CPU is for sure not a golden or binned sample, it can barely do 5.2Ghz. It's been sitting on my shelf unused for a long time because I have other newer better CPU's, and it's been sitting due to that and because this is one of the early ones with locked memory multipliers at 8/10.

I am not an extreme enough overclocker to be sent binned or cherry picked CPU's, far from it!!

Bclk is all about the CPU though, my other 2 can't go this high on Bclk but then can do MUCH better overall Ghz. If anyone wants to send me a 920 for testing I'll be up for testing it, otherwise don't comment that I need to test retail as there is no point really because this CPU is the same or worse than retail (Likely much worse since it's early C0/C1 and locked memory multi's). I can't afford to bin, and no one is binning for me because I'm not a record breaking extreme overclocker, I only have access to Phase and Dry Ice, binned CPU's and cherry picked samples end up in the hands of extreme LN2 users whom are known for breaking important records such as 3DMark, PCMark, ect.

So to sum it up, this is NOT a Golden, NOT Cherry Picked, and NOT hand picked sample!! This is a run of the mill, sub-average overclocking, very early sample, only sent my way to learn X58 (Overclocking was not in mind at all). It's only luck of the draw that this CPU can do high Bclk's, and you get that luck of the draw with any CPU, that's all it can do is high Bclk and I only found that out by luck in choosing to dig out this CPU and give it a try again (it could only do 231 Bclk previously on UD4P).
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM.

Re: GA-X58A-OC = The Bclk Dreamer's Secret Weapon Of Choice!

Nice but I'm a little confused - Unless I'm missing something the board uses triple channel memory (3 modules) yet you're doing dual channel (2 modules) - Why? Can you not achieve those same results using 3 memory modules (as designed) instead of just 2?

Thanks.
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Core i7-950 @ 3.8GHz Processor
    Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler
    6 gig Corsair Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8D
    ATI Radeon HD6950 2Gig Video Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro Souncard
    Antec Signature SG-850 PS
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

Comment

Thanks man!

I've just been in a habit of using dual channel lately is all, sometimes when at extreme temps dual channel will allow you to overclock higher when doing certain things / certain ways. So I've just been using dual as of late, not much difference between dual and triple really anyway.

Yes though, I could use triple on Bclk pushing, it wouldn't really affect that.

Comment

Updated

Comment

Hey guys!!

Just smashed the current world record, here's a sneak peak (IE Not my highest)! Also made a video booting at 260 and then going up to 275 in windows :)

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Current X58 HWBot records :D

I'll make a WR thread tomorrow with my highest result, going for 3Ghz memory action tonight on X58 :D

Comment

Very nice figures there Lsdmeasap. Be interested to see where you get to in the end.

Comment

Working...
            X