Not turning on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not turning on

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard. Recently the computer stopped responding and when I went to look at it there was no light on my USB mouse or keyboard and no video. Noticed the CPU fan wasn't working, however further investigation it was actually the CPU Fan plug that doesn't work anymore as when I plug the cpu fan into the northbridge fan plug it spins fine. Is the CPU trashed or something else going on? The CPU fan connector the fan actually slightly moves when all the other ones go on when connected to the CPU fan connector but doesn't spin like the rest.

If the system is trashed, any ideas what I can do to recover my hard drives? They are raided by the way. Not sure there is any way to recover it as I'd assume even if you could get the same motherboard the raid wouldn't be configured of course and wipe the drives.

JR
    CPU
    [email protected] G0 Lapped
    Motherboard
    GA-P35-DS4
    Memory
    2GB OCZ DDR2 6400 CL 3 FlexXLC 3-4-4-12
    Graphics Card
    XFX 8800 GTS
    Power Supply
    OCZ GameXStream 700W

Re: Not turning on

your CPU is proably cooked as for you drives if you was to get same board or same chipset then yes you you can save everything on your drive
    all you do is enable raid in bios do not create new stip
    Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
    Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
    2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
    6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
    2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
    Ultra X4 1200 Watt
    Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

Could be psu too,I would test with another,I don't know if CPU fan is run off the 24 pin mb plug or the CPU 4/8 pin power plug,that would explain why it works on one mb fan header and not CPU fan header? I'm just guessing but I would try a different psu first,don't disturb your hdd's till you try different power supply
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

OK so I actually had a brand new power supply for a new high end water cool system I'm building. Tried that power supply however the system kept turning on and off on and off on and off....

You get the idea. Again, USB attached keyboard didn't light up. So I may have a saving grace. My primary hard drive is a stand alone non raid drive. The secondary two hard drives are in a raid 0 configuration. So I guess I can save my primary, however is the fact that the other two drives are in raid 0 helpful to move to a new system? If I did, assuming there is no other explanation for the dead system, can raid 0 drives just be put in a new system? Or per the suggestion to get another board with the same chipset, any suggestions?

Thanks.

JR
        CPU
        Motherboard
        GA-P35-DS4
        Memory
        Graphics Card
        XFX 8800 GTS
        Power Supply
        OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

ou can always try the drives in another system, nothing should be wiped until you rebuild raid.
          Set it to raid and connect the drives after that.
          Which chipset is the new system?

See the 2nd table in this page, I can only imagine ICH9R will work with ICH10R just the same.
          Last edited by Chike; 07-16-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Ok now that is truly odd. So I have 4 RAM modules but only had two in the system when it didn't work. I removed the two, put the other two in the same banks, and the system fired up with the new power supply. So I guess OK yeah the processor is OK. Not sure if the CPU fan connector is good but will try later. So I go Ahhhh, bad memory right? Quickly switch back to my original power supply. Goes back to doing the same, on off on off on off it was doing before with no lights on the keyboard or display on the computer. So right now I have the "good" memory in there and the new power supply and am backing the 3TB of data to my Windows Home Server 2011. Once that is done I'll see if the original fan connector works and then it looks like I'll need a new power supply. Very odd that both memory and power supply would go at the same time.

JR
            CPU
            Motherboard
            GA-P35-DS4
            Memory
            Graphics Card
            XFX 8800 GTS
            Power Supply
            OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

Did you try switching back to old memory?

Comment

Is it possible that the PSU surged a bit when it died and took the RAM with it?
                Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

i've experienced that matter when i switch to a new hsf, i accidently remove a ram memory and plug to another slot. playing devil may cry 4 the system crash and reboot without a success boot (with debug led flickering on-off). cleaning the ram pin the matter went away. it's memory problem exactly

Comment

Try cleaning the gold contacts on the bad ram with pencil rubber,if no luck then lookslike psu blew two ram modules when it died,rma them if there still in warranty
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

you can try the memory sticks one at a time if one is bad it should give you a beep code on post if you have a bios speaker

Repeating (endless loop) Memory error - Check for improperly seated or missing memory.
                      Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
                      Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
                      Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
                      2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
                      6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
                      2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
                      Ultra X4 1200 Watt
                      Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
                      Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
                      Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
                      Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

Well what I would consider good news. So I put the bad bank of memory back in and it seems to be working OK now for whatever reason. All four banks are also working together. I did reset the bios voltage settings so perhaps one of the banks was having issues with the memory voltage settings? Who knows. Power supply is still toast and when I put in the new power supply the CPU fan connector works again also. So besides the memory working now, the good news is my OCZ power supply is two months from the warranty expiring so submitted an RMA for replacement. Hopefully that will solve it.

JR
                        CPU
                        Motherboard
                        GA-P35-DS4
                        Memory
                        Graphics Card
                        XFX 8800 GTS
                        Power Supply
                        OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

Well, now not sure what to say. Had a power outage at the house. Was down for two days. Power came back on and everything started up. About 20 minutes later was by the computer with the "other" power supply and sparks came out of it and there was a loud pop and everything died. So now I'm stuck with wondering if something is going on with the motherboard. A short or something. Could have been the power outage, but don't know as it worked for a few days fine. Trying to figure out if I do replace it what is a good motherboard for a really good overclockable Q6600 now a days. May not even overclock it anymore as with a new board will have to start over and already have a different system I'm working on but never know.

At least I was able to backup the data while ths system was up those few days so won't loose any data (unless my backup fails).

JR
                          CPU
                          Motherboard
                          GA-P35-DS4
                          Memory
                          Graphics Card
                          XFX 8800 GTS
                          Power Supply
                          OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

Seems the power outage has blown your psu? I would buy an uninteruptable psu aswell,then anymore power cuts it will kick in seemlessly and save any damage
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                              Seems the power outage has blown your psu? I would buy an uninteruptable psu aswell,then anymore power cuts it will kick in seemlessly and save any damage
                              I just got a replacement in the mail so guess I'll connect a surge supressor and give it one more try assuming the pop didn't blow the whole board. Guess if it goes again will have it replaced again and call it a day on this board.
                              CPU
                              Motherboard
                              GA-P35-DS4
                              Memory
                              Graphics Card
                              XFX 8800 GTS
                              Power Supply
                              OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

Working...