Having difficulties choosing a motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having difficulties choosing a motherboard

So I'm about to do my new build, and I want to use Gigabyte as my motherboard platform.

It's going to be a Z68 board with an i5-2500K

I want to overclock it a bit - easily.. No bleeding edge stuff. Stability is more important that 2% performance.

I want to utilize the ability to use onboard graphics when I'm just surfing the web or watching a movie, and then my discrete gtx 580 for gaming. And that's without changing my current dvi cable between the motherboard and graphics card. My monitor has a free hdmi and displayport.

I want to use Intel Smart Response - preferably with an mSSD drive. (drive doesn't need to be included - as that would just default me to the issd board)

I want to use both Sata6 and Sata3 drives on it.

I need 2 pci expansion slots.

I want Erp LOT 6 support

And lastly I need an 8gb memory kit on it as well. The gigabyte memory compatibility list is like reading a magic scroll... I was thinking about just getting a pair of Corsair Vengeance pc12800 cl9 sticks, but I can't find them on the list. I need something that doesn't have a huuuuge heatspreader, as I'm putting a Noctua NH-D14 cooler on it.

Any help is much appreciated..
    Last edited by blaznee; 07-21-2011, 04:49 AM.

Re: Having difficulties choosing a motherboard

Looks like the GA-Z68XP-UD3(iSSD) is your board.

Just note that the CPU socket is much closer to the memory on the 1155 boards, the NH-D14 may not fit there.

Comment

Good point with the cooler space.. I'll try to research that a bit.. Any other good silent coolers known to fit?

Comment

In two reviews of GIGABYTE Z68 motherboards X-Bit used Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B which is far from being small. There is no photo of the setups so it's not possible to know how they install it, but the memory was highe Patriot RAM.
        Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3: LGA1155 Platform in ATX Format with Video Outs
        From UD3P to UD7: Four Gigabyte Mainboards for LGA1155 on Intel Z68 Express Chipset

Comment

Oh dear, I'm usually very fond of xbitlabs, and that conclusion does not bode well for my choice of Gigabyte as motherboard platform :(.. Do I really need to seriously look at MSI and (shudder) ASUS?

Comment

Is the MSI board review more appealing to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
              Is the MSI board review more appealing to you?
              Heh, I didn't have time to check it out yet.. But from your comment I can determine it's not much better :)

Comment

Corsair h60/70/80 cooler? No restrictions around CPU with those
                Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X