Which SATA III SSD Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which SATA III SSD Drive?

I have been watching for a good SATA III SSD to "go on sale" for the last several months. It seems like $200+ is as good as it gets these days for a 120GB drive. I have considered the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos, Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe, Corsair GT and now the Kingston HyperX (on sale at NewEgg for the Labor Day weekend). They all use the SF 2281 controller(?) and all have very similar specs. Anybody had experience with Kingston support on SSD? I have a GSkill SATA II 120GB SSD (it works just fine after a few firmware updates and scarry moments) but I have not seen a GSkill SATA III offering?! I guess I better stick to a mainstream SSD supplier? Comments appreciated.

Re: Which SATA III SSD Drive?

Have the Corsair GT 120gb running for a couple weeks or so now. Very happy with it and its performance.
    My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
    Whitey:Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
    Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Comment

STAY AWAY FROM CORSAIR AND OCZ its a nightmare with all their issues! I just RMA'd my Force 3 120gb, now Isee on forums the GT is having issues, they have knowlingly sent out the same Force 3's back to customers knowing they have the same issues, I saw one post that a guy has gone through 3 straight! Try Mushkin they have a spotless reputation!

P.S. New EGG is refusing to carry the Force 3 120gb SDD until Nov 30th I.E. telling corsair to fix their crappy line before they will carry it again!

Comment

I've had a 120Gb Kingston HyperX for about 3 weeks now. 2 weeks ago I came back to my system after eating supper to find an almost frozen system (mouse cursor moved on desktop, icons would highlight but double clicking just resulted in the Win7 rotating circle). Hit reset button, HyperX not seen by system. Powered system off/on and HyperX back again.
        Kingston tech support thinks this was just a fluke, they claim not to be getting any reports of problems. It hasn't happened again. Kingston did offer me an RMA if I wanted it.

Sam

Comment

I broke down and bought the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 120GB SATA III SSD. Came up and running W7 via Acronis with no issues. Stats look very very good (as advertised) but... as with the GSkill Phoenix Pro 120GB SATA II SSD I really do not feel the dramatic real world improvement compared to the "old" Raptors tuned by Perfect Disk. We'll see if any issues develop - hopefully Mushkin got it right.

Comment

I have an OCZ agility 3 120gb ssd and it is pretty good. Looks nice in the case, performs well, is about $260. If you do wish to buy it you should update the firmware first because the firmware that comes with it is a bit buggy. Have updated it 3 months ago and no problem. :)
            OCZ AGILITY3 SSD 120GB
            AMD Phenom II x6 2.8Ghz OC to 3.5Ghz
            Antec 1200 gaming case
            Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H
            750 Watt TruePower Power Supply
            8GB DDR3 1666Mhz memory
            Logitech G9 gaming mouse
            Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
            Gigabyte HD5830 1GB GDDR5
            Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio

Comment

Working...