Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having two OS bootable hard drives possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having two OS bootable hard drives possible?

I have a P67 Extreme4 with a 2500k and a 64 gig SSD. I am running 64 bit PRO on my SSD (AHCI) with a couple of internal hard drives. I have an extra hard drive lying around and I was planning on putting on an old copy of Vista on it solely to run my work program...

I disconnected all hard drives except for the future Vista drive. Installed Vista (IDE mode).

I was hoping to (when needed) boot to my Vista drive when work-time was needed and then booting normally to my SSD when normal-time was needed.

After the install I could not boot to my SSD. I would either get a cold restart or an error saying it could not boot to the operating system. It was impossible for it to be corrupted because it wasn't connected when I was installing the Vista hard drive.

Do I have to have two AHCI hard drives connected in order to perform the task that I want?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: Having two OS bootable hard drives possible?

I was reading online and saw something about installing an AHCI driver during the install...The VISTA hard drive is a SATA drive BTW.

Comment

You need ahci drivers on a Usb or floppy drive before you install Vista,your ssd and vista drive will run fine in IDE mode,but for ahci/vista pre install drivers are needed,same for xp,only win7 installs drivers for you aslong as you set ahci before installing it
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Okay, that makes sense.

But, is that the reason why it corrupted my SSD? Say you install a SSD under AHCI, will it corrupt it when trying to run it in IDE mode? Essentially, that's what I did...But it doesn't make any sense

So when installing Windows Vista in AHCI mode, should I put the bios in AHCI mode and then install the AHCI drivers, or, put it in IDE mode and install the AHCI drivers?

Comment

I was also thinking after looking through my bios again....

I have two Marvell Sata3 controllers that I am not currently using. There are two options for those: 1. Mode Type: IDE and AHCI and 2. Bootable? yes or no

So could I install my Vista drive on one of those and just install it IDE?

I just switched my SSD to IDE and booted into windows. It installed IDE drivers for my 3 drives connected which made me a bit nervous, but booted back up in AHCI mode without a hitch.

I'm thinking it got corrupted by having two hard drives with two different types of boot files..?

What'dyah think?

Comment

Could be,I would turn of the Marvell ports if unused,stick to one SATA controller for exmple intel,as bot to complicate things

Switching back and running in IDE from ahci is fine once ahci drivers are installed,but you can't run in ahci without first selecting ahci mode in the BIOS and installing drivers when the OS prompts you(drivers not needed for win7)
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hello
              First make clear that your failure in boot is by BIOS or by OS.
              If you see a message like "Not a system disk" or "There is no OS on disk", it is a bios message. In this case you have to check if:
              1-Is your desired boot drive detected in bios or not;
              2-Is that drive selected as first boot device or not.
              Note that Compatible (IDE) or Enhanced mode for drive has no rule here.

If you see a message like "hal.dll was not found or corrupted" or if get blue screen on boot time, it is an os message. So change the ATA mode in your bios to get it working or re-install its os with special drivers supplied.

Comment

Working...
              X