Upgrading GA-P35C-DS3R CPU to Q9550, CPU Fan, memory suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading GA-P35C-DS3R CPU to Q9550, CPU Fan, memory suggestions

(Latest update see post 13 - installed DDR3 2x4GB concern about 1.63v ) added

The bios update suggestions helped me to successfully update from F2 to F12 via USB flash drive. That's how I found this forum using Google search after unable to update bios using @Bios. Thank you.

I now want to upgrade CPU to Q9550 bought used without fan. Need suggestions for a not too expensive fan $20 to $35 max
    (not a gamer and will use mostly for multitasking video software and others. Future goal to to overclock a little like 3.2 Ghz and keep safe without too much stress)

Memory
    I have read some where that some have successfully used 2 x 4GB 1066 DDR3 memory but 1333 can be a problem (upgrading DDR2 from 2 x1 GB to 2x 2 GB will cost at least as much if not more.)
    Do you think this will work? $42.99 at a top online retailer.
    [ Ripjaws] F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL (4Gx2)
    DDR3-1066 8GB(4GB x 2) CL 7-7-7-18 1.5 Volts works with P35 chipset

See signature for current configuration
    Bought this used computer from a college student for $350 then added BluRay burner, PCI 800i tuner, and all external items below plus another int500GB 7200 HDD not listed

Also bought a OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC $59.99 with rebate. Don't know what I will do with that yet maybe experiment with another OS like windows 8 beta

Any suggestions/llinks appreciated 64 yrs old been tinkering with computers for 20 years but will have a friend do the install of the CPU and fan. Carpal tunnel makes that a little to difficult

Thank you,
    Last edited by HaroldJ; 10-08-2011, 12:28 AM. Reason: update

Re: Upgrading GA-P35C-DS3R CPU to Q9550, CPU Fan, memory suggestions

Check Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa 120mm Long life CPU Cooler, valid only for one more day.

Personally I think it's a waste of money investing in C2Q, how much did the Q9550 cost?
    Whe did you bought this PC, how much did it cost including the Q9550?

If you have a working memory, be happy with it. You may spend lots of bucks on DDR3 just to find out it's not compatible with the board. 4GB is enough for gaming and home use, unless you do video.audio editing there's probably no need for more.
    Last edited by Chike; 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Thank you for suggesting the ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa 120mm Long life CPU Cooler, think I will order that on NewEgg unless someone else suggests a cheaper one that will work good. Thinking of getting Arctic Silver 5 on eBay
      See signature for current configuration
      Bought this used computer from a college student for $350 then added BluRay burner, PCI 800i tuner, and all external items below plus another int500GB 7200 HDD not listed
      Last edited by HaroldJ; 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM. Reason: added cpubenchmark info

Comment

So you have 6GB of memory total?
        Do you ever run out of real memory during work?
        The F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL (4GBx2) for $43, could be ok if they work. Bit high latency though.

Comment

Yes 6GB of memory total
          Yes I have run out of real memory during work in virtual mode. Other time mem usage was high when running some video editing software in 64bit mode.
          Is there any other DDR3 memory 4GBx2 with a lower latency that might work? Others can reply if they have any advice. Maybe I will wait on the memory and just install the Q9550 with the currently installed memory for now and further research this.

Well once I get the Fan/heatsink and the Arctic silver 5 will have my friend do the install.

One other question could I have a problem booting into windows 7 ultimate after setting the bios to optimized settings when rebooting prior to booting OS?

Comment

I don't think replacing CPU will require anything from windows 7.
            There is memory with lower latency (DDR3-1333CL7) but it's only been tested with Z68/P67 chipsets.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
              ...There is memory with lower latency (DDR3-1333CL7) but it's only been tested with Z68/P67 chipsets.
              I can't post links yet need one more post

Found one similar to that
              at Newegg

<dd style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 1.2em; line-height: 1.2em; display: inline; "></dd><dd style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 1.2em; line-height: 1.2em; display: inline; ">Item#: N82E16820231402
              $64.99 PLUS $9.99 SHIPPING
              </dd>
              G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

<dt style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0.3em; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0.3em; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.2em; float: left; width: 170px; ">Timing</dt><dd style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 200px; padding-top: 0.3em; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0.3em; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.2em; ">7-7-7-21 1.5v</dd>I found this feedback
              • N/A
              • 9/19/2011 12:23:13 PM
              Pros:
              Plugged them in and boot up right away on an old Gigabyte P35-DS3R. Runs stable, no issues so far.Cons: None really.
              Other Thoughts: Wasn't in the compatibility list for the board but it works just fine. I'm probably not using the full potential of this RAM in terms of speed but now I have double the RAM and no more worries about running out of memory when I have multiple apps running.

The one I mentioned before was N82E16820231308
              $42.99 with free shipping

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBR

<dt style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0.3em; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0.3em; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.2em; float: left; width: 170px; ">Timing</dt><dd style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 200px; padding-top: 0.3em; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0.3em; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.2em; ">7-7-7-18 1.5v
              </dd>

Does the tRAS Timing difference 21 vs 18 make any difference? Should I go for the DDR3 1066 as it is cheaper?
              If the 2x4GB worked good then I could sell the the more expensive ram on eBay to pay for DDR3.
              Last edited by HaroldJ; 09-28-2011, 11:21 PM. Reason: added questions

Comment

It's up to you of course. DDR-1333 CL 7 is better than DDR-1066 CL 7, but memory performance are not so critical.

EDIT: once you have everything assambled we can assist you to OC 3.2-3.4FGz, this should be easy.
                Last edited by Chike; 09-28-2011, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Chike,Thank you for your help and quick replies (my 5th post)

I will wait until the Q9550 is installed and after some safe overclocking after reading that sticky before getting the DDR3 memory.

In the mean time if anyone reads this post and has more info or experienced with using 2x4GB DDR3 with this board please reply.

Unless I need to reply sooner will wait until Q9550 (probably about a week) is installed to give an update.
                  Last edited by HaroldJ; 09-30-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Read this post too.

Comment

update
                      I ordered the following from NewEgg Thursday evening current status charged

1. ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa 120mm Long life CPU Cooler

What a coincident the following memory was $64.99 plus $9.99 shipping on Wednesday but went on sale Thursday for $49.99 with free shipping a $ 24.99 savings.
                      2. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
                      <dd style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 6px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.2em; ">Item #: N82E16820231402

I had emailed Zalman support on Wednesday

Will ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa 120mm Long life CPU Cooler fit with the Intel Quad Core Q9550 processor in the following system?
                      GA-P35C-DS3R v1.1 F12
                      DDR2 G.Skill X2 F2-6400CL4-1GBHK 1GB Slot 1 & 3
                      DDR2 Corsair x2 CM2X2048-6400C4DHX 2GB Slot 2 & 4
                      GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX/9800 GTX+ 512 MB
                      PSU Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W +12v x2 18A each
                      Case Thermaltake Soprono DX w/3 Fans
                      Just got this response from Zalman support

We apologize for the delay. The Corsair memory is fine, but the G.Skill memory will most likely have clearance issues with the CNPS10X Performa. Please let us know if you have further questions in regards to this matter.
                      </dd>
                      A. Will I have a problem? Can't find the memory L x W x H specs. Will be using the currently installed memory for now. What do you think about the new memory? I don't know if I can cancel this late

From the Manual
                      1) Space Requirements
                      The cooler's installation requires an unobstructed space of 137mm(width), 130rnm
                      (length), and 155mm(height), with the CPU as a central reference point. Please
                      check if components such as ODDs and PSU protrude into the required space

4)CPU and RAM interference check
                      (limited to systems with RAM heatsinks)
                      For Intel and AMD Socket motherboards's w1th a RAM herght of 36rnm ( 1 42") and
                      greater, there will be physrcalrnterference wrth the CPU cooler resultrng rn the rnabrlrty
                      to utllrze dual and full-channel modes. Please check the herght of your RAM modules
                      pnor to installation.
                      source
                      ::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::
                      select manual download link

B. I read that the High Performance Super Thermal Grease ZM-STG2M that comes with the ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa is rated
                      A: Excellent Enthusiast Performance by benchmarkreviews
                      80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test | Thermal Interface Material,Thermal Paste,Heatsink Compound,80-Way Thermal Interface Material Best Thermal Paste Heatsink Compound Cooling Performance Comparison Benchmark Tests
                      Should I use that or Arctic Silver 5?

The used Q9550 has messy sticky old compound should I use Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier - OEM or just 70%Isopropyl alcohol

Both the Silver 5 & the Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) are on sale with free shipping now for $14.93 free shipping $8.00 total discount promo codes w/freeshipping till 10/06/2011
                      This sounds like a good deal

Comment

I believe the Performa is the most compact from all the CNPS10x series.
                        You shouldn't have issues with any memory at all.
                        See the differences between my board and yours, the memory on the UD3L is closer to the CPU socket, and there are no clearence issues.

The ZM-STG2M is actually better than AS5 but you probably have enough for just one application.
                        4g AC MX-2 are 8USD and the same quality as ZM-STG2M.

EDIT:
                        To clean old thermal compound you can use a cloth with aceton or alcohol. For final clean with a lint free and high purity isopropyl alcogol(if you can get it) or any high purity alcohol if you cannot get isopropyl.
                        You should be able to get those cheap at any pharmacy.
                        Last edited by Chike; 10-02-2011, 06:31 PM.

Comment

update I finally got the heatsink/fan & memory. It will be a few days before my friend can install the Q9550.

Decided to try the DDR3 memory in the meantime. Removed the memory listed in my signature and installed
                          G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
                          Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

It booted OK all memory shows in Windows 7 task manager and has run for a few hours no problem.

I did not run any memory test nor try optimized settings or try to overclock.
                          My biggest concern is the DDR3 memory voltage running at 1.63v. Should be 1.5v and thought that it isn't supposed to be higher than about 1.575
                          before I do anything else

Should I be concerned? Any suggestions?

Look at signature the only thing changed was the memory. Set the bios to Load Fail-Safe Defaults

All the other setting were mostly the recommended BIOS Features

CASE left opened with huge fan about 2 feet away blowing directly at the open side (just for now) 2 case fans running only the one on the removable plastic side isn't running.

specific info
                          PC Health Status

Vcore 1.314
                          DDR2 / DDR3 1,632v
                          +3.3V 3.40v
                          +12V 12.63
                          CPU Warning Temperature___ [70oC / 158oC
                          CPU FAN Fail Warning______ [Enabled]

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                          CPU Clock Ratio __________________ [8]
                          CPU Host Clock Control_ [DISABLED]
                          x CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ 333
                          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [AUTO]
                          C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                          Performance Enhance (Standard)
                          System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [AUTO]
                          x Memory Frequency (Mhz) 1333
                          DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [AUTO]
                          CAS Latency Time_____________ 9 ____ [AUTO]
                          Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 9 ____ [AUTO]
                          Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____9 ____ [AUTO]
                          Precharge Delay (tRAS)________24 ____[AUTO]
                          ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____[AUTO]
                          Rank Write to READ Delay______5 _____[AUTO]
                          Write to Precharge Delay______10 _____[AUTO]
                          Refresh to ACT Delay________108 ______[AUTO]
                          Read to Precharge Delay_______5 _____[AUTO]
                          Static tRead Value___________8_______ [AUTO]
                          Static _tRead Phaze Adjust______10_____ [AUTO]

******** System Voltage NOT Optimized ********
                          System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                          DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [Normal]
                          PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
                          FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
                          [G] MCH OverVoltage Control__ [Normal]
                          CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]
                          x Normal CPU Vcore 1.35000V

SIW SHOWS
                          Voltages
                          PU VCORE 1.15 V 1.15 V 1.30 V
                          DDR 1.63 V 1.63 V 1.63 V

__________________________________________________ ___
                          CPUZ shows

Memory Type DDR3
                          Memory Size 8192 MBytes
                          Channels Dual, (Symmetric)
                          Memory Frequency 666.7 MHz (1:2)
                          CAS# latency (CL) 9.0
                          RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 9
                          RAS# Precharge (tRP) 9
                          Cycle Time (tRAS) 24

Both 1 & 2 show the same
                          DIMM # 1
                          SMBus address 0x50
                          Memory type DDR3
                          Module format UDIMM
                          Manufacturer (ID) G.Skill (7F7F7F7FCD000000)
                          Size 4096 MBytes
                          Max bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
                          Part number F3-10666CL7-4GBRH
                          Number of banks 8
                          Nominal Voltage 1.50 Volts
                          EPP no
                          XMP yes
                          XMP revision 1.2
                          JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
                          JEDEC #1 6.0-6-6-17-23 @ 457 MHz
                          JEDEC #2 7.0-7-7-20-27 @ 533 MHz
                          JEDEC #3 8.0-8-8-22-30 @ 609 MHz
                          JEDEC #4 9.0-9-9-25-34 @ 685 MHz
                          XMP profile XMP-1334
                          Specification PC3-10700
                          Voltage level 1.500 Volts
                          Min Cycle time 1.500 ns (667 MHz)
                          Min tRP 10.50 ns
                          Min tRCD 10.50 ns
                          Min tWR 15.00 ns
                          Min tRAS 31.50 ns
                          Min tRC 42.50 ns
                          Min tRFC 180.00 ns
                          Min tRTP 7.50 ns
                          Min tRRD 6.00 ns
                          Command Rate 2T
                          XMP timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)
                          XMP #1 7.0-8-8-23-30-2T @ 700 MHz (1.500 Volts)
                          Voltage 1 1.63 Volts [0x66] (DDR)

Comment

I can't see what can be done about the memory voltage, try +0.1 and see what it results with.
                            You can still set timings manually to 7-8-8-23 and see if they are stable.

Comment

Chike,

Thank you for your help, sorry I haven't responded for awhile. I tried the memory voltage +0.1 but it still showed as 1.63v so tried +0.2 and then it showed 1.75v. Didn't the early DDR3 memory have a 1.6 to a 1.8 range? So by default on this motherboard is giving me 1.63v and +0.1 does nothing.

I tried the timings 7-8-8-23 and got that result at first but after a while it defaulted to 9-9-9-23 (23 was the only number that stayed the same before changes it was 24) Since then only running with optimized settings with no problem. Not sure if it's a good idea to run at 1.75v.

Still waiting for my friend to install the Q9550 and the ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa.

Comment

Working...
                              X