Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pitched noise from Z68X-UD4-B3 board USB

Hey guys,

I noticed this high pitch noise coming from my USB ports when I plug some stuff in (sounds like that high pitch noise you hear when you turn your CRT tv on). My mouse adapter makes it happen and my xbox controller adapter makes it too. My keyboard, webcam and printer don't seem to be making any noise. It makes that noise with the mouse adapter both at the back directly connected to the board as well as in the front of the case. I have a GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3. Does anyone know wth is going on? The noise is so damn annoying!

I opened up the computer and disconnected everything except the HDD, PSU, case power cable to the power header on the mobo, CPU + fan, one RAM stick and the two power cables into the motherboard. I then turned on the system and waited till when Windows was probably at the log in screen. Then plugged in the mouse adapter. The noise still came on and it seemed to be coming from the back area of the motherboard though I can not be 100% sure as it was hard to localize. Its hard to describe the exact sound, but I'll give it a go. It sounds like what a hard drive reading sounds like except very high pitched and not super loud. It sounds like reading for a few ish seconds then becomes a constant whine. As soon as I pull it out, its gone. This sound comes from the back area of the motherboard whether I plug it into the front case USB 2.0 port or directly at the back to the motherboard 2.0 port. The same adapter makes NO noise whatsoever as soon as I pull it out and plug it into any USB 3.0 ports on my system. Same with my xbox adapter.

My wireless keyboard on the other hand, also has a tiny USB adapter just like my mouse, but that makes no sound whatsoever when plugged in. Nor does my flash drive or anything else thats currently plugged in so far as I can tell.

I heard someone say they had this problem too (on Tom's Hardware) but no proper solutions. Does anyone have any ideas? It would be much appreciated! This Rig is pretty new! I assembled it just over a month ago and its been doing this for as long as I can remember.

Re: High pitched noise from Z68X-UD4-B3 board USB

try disabling c1e in the bios under advanced cpu features,if that doesnt stop it try disabling c3/c6
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      try disabling c1e in the bios under advanced cpu features,if that doesnt stop it try disabling c3/c6
      I first disabled c1e, reboot, sounds seemed to still be there. Then disabled c3/c6 and now maybe its gone! I'm not 100% sure since it comes and goes sometimes, but right now I can't hear it! Thanks for the tip! Do you know why these two things might have even caused that sound in the first place? Also does that mean that I can turn the c1e back on and just leave off the c3/c6?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

It's some kind of electromagnetic interference with the psu and or the mb/cpu power saving chokes,sometimes changing psu or gpu solves it,sometimes not,c1e can be left off if you use balanced power profile in win7 power saving options,c3/c6 is a more advanced version of c1e,it reduces cpu voltage but balanced profile in windows does the same job but without any noise,its a common long running issue,my board does it,it won't damage anything but can be annoying
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

It's some kind of electromagnetic interference with the psu and or the mb/cpu power saving chokes,sometimes changing psu or gpu solves it,sometimes not,c1e can be left off if you use balanced power profile in win7 power saving options,c3/c6 is a more advanced version of c1e,it reduces cpu voltage but balanced profile in windows does the same job but without any noise,its a common long running issue,my board does it,it won't damage anything but can be annoying
          Oh ok thanks for the clarification! Right now I'm using the Balanced plan on Windows 7 and I have c1e and c3/c6 turned off. The sounds really seems to be gone! It was giving me such a headache before But I really think that its gone now! Thanks SO much for the help! I've tried SO many things and asked in so many places with no proper help! I was so worried that I would have to go through the headache of RMAing my board. I'm relieved! Thanks again!!

Comment

No,problem post back if you need any further help,Google gigabyte motherboard squeal to see how common the problem is,same for other brands,like I said switching the psu or graphic card usually fixes it but its a lottery on finding the correct model/brand that doesn't create the noise
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

No,problem post back if you need any further help,Google gigabyte motherboard squeal to see how common the problem is,same for other brands,like I said switching the psu or graphic card usually fixes it but its a lottery on finding the correct model/brand that doesn't create the noise
              Will do! I have a Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W PSU and a BFG GTX 275 OC in case anyone reads this and would want to know...

Comment

I'm actually one of the people in that thread about this problem over at Tom's Hardware. I also happen to have the Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W PSU, so it seems to me that there are some incompatibility issues between these two components. The weird thing is it started a few weeks after building the computer; until then there was no issue.

I was able to fix the noise coming from the USB port by flashing the bios back to F7. I can keep all power saving features on and plug any USB device in with no issue. However, no matter what bios or settings I change, I get a pretty bad ringing in my ears/head whenever I'm around the computer. It's not really a sound, more like a vibration in my ears (I've actually had to go to the doctor for the pain). My wife and her friends can't hear/feel it, but my male friends can...

Does anyone else have this ear-ringing completely separate from the USB noise?

I guess I'm going to take the 20% hit from Amazon to return the board after 30 days and buy a different brand. This kind of thing just shouldn't happen or be accepted in my opinion. And since it's not broken, I can't really RMA it from what I've heard. Quite a let down for my first experience building in a while....

Comment

A web search using: ringing in ears computer might help.
                  I don't know if this is related to tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                  P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                  4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                  Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                  WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                  SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                  Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                  Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                  Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                  Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                  HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                  CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I've actually done research on the subject before, and I just don't think it's that. Tinnitus is the ghost ringing people get in their ears, while my computer causes a deep, painful pressure in one's ears.

No other electrical appliance or computer I've ever used has caused this problem. Plus, it is affecting other male friends, not just myself.

And the fact that electrical interference is known to cause the USB noise with this board and otehrs, it really doesn't seem like a long shot that there is electrical interference that is inaudible but still rubs your ear nerves the wrong way. Like a dog whistle that hurts.

Given the history of Gigabyte boards making wacky noises, I just don't see how I can confidently keep using/purchasing them...

Comment

Originally posted by bostonmasaru View Post
                      I'm actually one of the people in that thread about this problem over at Tom's Hardware. I also happen to have the Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W PSU, so it seems to me that there are some incompatibility issues between these two components. The weird thing is it started a few weeks after building the computer; until then there was no issue.

I was able to fix the noise coming from the USB port by flashing the bios back to F7. I can keep all power saving features on and plug any USB device in with no issue. However, no matter what bios or settings I change, I get a pretty bad ringing in my ears/head whenever I'm around the computer. It's not really a sound, more like a vibration in my ears (I've actually had to go to the doctor for the pain). My wife and her friends can't hear/feel it, but my male friends can...

I guess I'm going to take the 20% hit from Amazon to return the board after 30 days and buy a different brand. This kind of thing just shouldn't happen or be accepted in my opinion. And since it's not broken, I can't really RMA it from what I've heard. Quite a let down for my first experience building in a while....
                      its probably your psu thats causing the noise,its same make/model the previous user had,i have a cheapo power supply so thats probably why im hearing the noise but on my other comp with a quality psu i get no noise at all

btw it doesnt matter whether its expensive or a cheap psu,its still hit and miss whether it will cause mb squeal
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by bostonmasaru View Post

Well I don't have this problem at ALL now since I followed wazza300's instructions. I'm using the F8 BIOS too.

Comment

Working...
                        X