Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-Z68XP-UD3 boot problem Intel & Marvell Raid both enabled - Too many ROMs execute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z68XP-UD3 boot problem Intel & Marvell Raid both enabled - Too many ROMs execute

I have just installed my brand new GA-Z68XP-UD3, I have updated the firmware to F7 (the latest on the Gigabyte website for my MB) and all the latest drivers are installed

I have 2 x Hitachi 500GB drives I am attempting to RAID via the Marvell controller

I have a RUNCORE 60GB SSD in the mSATA slot on the MB and I currently have the Intel RAID configured so the SSD is caching a Samsung 1GB non RAIDed drive however; this requires me to have the Intel RAID configured to be in RAID mode (I intend to RAID all the drives although I am part way through at the moment)

When I have the Marvell controller in AHCI mode all is well however; the moment I follow the instruction in the manual to enable RAID on the Marvell controller I get the following boot up warning and am unable to access Ctl-I menu to configure the Marvell RAID controller

I believe this is a fundemental error in the BIOS set up partly because there is nothing in the manual stating I cannot enable RAID on both and also because in my research I have noticed similar problem with other Gigabyte MB's that provide both Intel & Marvell RAID controllers. It appears BIOS version F9 on some boards resolves this problem

When is the BIOS update that resolves this problem being made available for the GA-Z68XP-UD3 MB?

Re: GA-Z68XP-UD3 boot problem Intel & Marvell Raid both enabled - Too many ROMs execu

F9b is the latest bios for your motherboard. I would suggest tring that bios. If you still have no luck here is the work around.

You were on the correct path. Leave the intel controller to raid for your ssd caching.

Set the marvell controller to ahci. In windows install the Marvell Storage Utility. In there you can create your raid array for your other drives.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Re: GA-Z68XP-UD3 boot problem Intel & Marvell Raid both enabled - Too many ROMs execu

Many thanks for the fast response, do you have a link for F9B please as I cannot find one on the website

Comment

look at the stickies on the top of this forum.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...beta-bios.html
        Main Rig
        Gigabyte z87x-OC
        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
        HiS ATI HD 6950
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Good news is I have moved past the problem with BIOS but I am not sure how

This is what I did after many vain attempts to either enter BIOS mode <Del> or Qflash <End>:

1) Took a deep breath and changed by trousers
          2) Powered off the PC, waited 2 minutes for any static to drain away
          3) Removed the Runcore card in preparation for using the CLR_CMOS jumpers
          4) Restored power to the PC
          5) Wrote the previous post
          6) For some reason thought I'd give it one more try to reboot whilst waiting for response to the post
          7) Well what do you know I managed to get into the BIOS configuration - Pheeeeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!!
          8) Have checked the BIOS version and it is F9B

Not so good news is, I still seem to have the problem when I attempt to BIOS configure RAID on Intel AND on Marvell

The only thing I change in the BIOS configuration is GSATA3 Ctrl Mode from AHCI to RAID and I get the following:

Warning ...
          To many option ROMs execute during
          POST may cause certain option ROM
          not working properly.
          SAVE to CMOS and EXIT (Y/N)? N

I answer y and during the reboot I receive a couple of messages that do not allow me to <pause> them but they seem to relate to option ROM
          Last edited by DerekGCWhite; 10-23-2011, 02:58 PM. Reason: Did not intend for the words to be crossed through

Comment

Re: GA-Z68XP-UD3 boot problem Intel &amp; Marvell Raid both enabled - Too many ROMs execu

Please ignore the lines through the text, not sure how they go there

Comment

Re: GA-Z68XP-UD3 boot problem Intel &amp; Marvell Raid both enabled - Too many ROMs execu

For completeness I need to mention I have reinstalled the Runcore 60GB mSATA-600 drive and I do have the same problem still on F9B

Comment

I have now started the Marvell Storage Utility and I see the 2 drives and can configure them as either RAID0/RAID1

Yeah!!!! It appears that F9B does the job functionally even if it does not implement the full procedure as yet (i.e. <Ctl-M> configuration during boot)

I have chosen to configure them as RAID0, for performance (I have an automatic overnight backup scheduled), and I am currently testing the performance whilst I write this

I get a Passmark composite average of 1255.1 for the RAID0 disks compared to the Samsung Spinpoint F3 (non RAID) that is cached by the Runcore mSATA-600 drive 982.7 (seems at the moment 1 up for the RAID) however; the Randown Seek + RW performance was 6 for RAID0 but 26.5 for the Samsung with Runcore cache

The jury is out on this one yet

Comment

Last edited by DerekGCWhite; 10-28-2011, 05:33 AM. Reason: Next stage in process

Comment

Comment

I have received further information when I suggested I was to post the info on the Forum
                      Question - 1149579
                      Sent : 11/3/2011 17:30
                      Question : I would like to clearly understand this answer so I can post the answer on the Forum
                      Although all the documentation and publicity for the GA-Z69XP-UD3 board clearly states there is both an Intel & Marvell RAID controller you are saying it is not possible to use both at the same time

Answer : Hi,

If,

- Set up either Marvell GSATA or Intel SATA in Raid mode with no problem.
                      - There may be no raid configuration option appeared in POST when both controllers are set in Raid mode.
                      There is shadow ram limitation as a general answer in public after confirming with bios engineers.
                      The shadow memory is fixed, so that there may be not enough shadow memory for raid controllers.

This is interesting if you refer to the Wiki entry
                      Shadow memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      Which suggests there are efficient and inefficient ways to organise memory - I am sure that applies to BIOS as well

To disable one of the other is a way to get enough shadow memory for the configuration.

Comment

Working...
                      X