Win XP boot issues with ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP boot issues with ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3

For the life of me, I can't get my Win XP (32-bit) partition to load on my new system. It's been built for a month now, and my original Western Digital SATA-II HDD is setup as a tri-boot with Win XP x86, Win Vista x86, and Win 7 Ultimate x64 (as I've been a windows beta tester for years). The RAM installed is the Mushkin 996997 (16GB 4 sticks), and 2600k CPU.

First off, everything loads fine in Win 7 and Vista. I have tried the XP Virtual Machine in Win 7, and can't stand using it. I really would like to get the XP partition to load.

So far things I've tried is to make sure BIOS is set to SATA Compatibility mode and not AHCI (it was set to SATA Enhanced by default). I've also connected the drive to the SATA-II port, not the SATA-III (as some said Win XP will not load when connected to SATA-III ports). I've disabled the motherboard's on-board graphics and using my PNY 560ti Nvidia card. And disabled the USB3 ports in the BIOS.

When I select Win XP to load, I get this BSOD

Then when running Safe Mode, it stops and restarts at Mup.sys

I have also tried to re-install XP using the CD so I can go into the Recovery Mode, but can't get to it. I press F6 furring the install and have it load up the ASRock disk drivers that I put onto Floppy A. I reads it, and get to "Starting Windows" then BSOD showing this:

I would greatly appreciate some help if anyone has the same ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 motherboard or similar with a Z68 chipset that has successfully been able to load and boot into Win XP.

Thank you.

Re: Win XP boot issues with ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3

ide for xp, achi for vista/win 7 (or raid) for both... remember raid need driver xp + all o/s need new installs in raid.

iv set mine up for raid(single drive for xp+)(stand alone hdd) + raid 0 ssd for win 7

Comment

xp works on sata 3 intel(ide/raid)+ works on addon controllers chips (ide or raid for xp) set in bios.. etc

Comment

In the BIOS, I have the SATA set to IDE, since my Win 7/Vista were installed that way years ago. So no AHCI is not enabled.
        I'm not doing RAID at all.
        The hard drive is tri-boot with Win XP, Win Vista, and Win 7 in separate partitions.
        Like I said in my 1st post, I can load Win 7 & Vista just fine, but get the errors when XP tries to load, or if I try to reinstall it using the CD and with the drivers on the floppy.
        I've also tried all 10 of the SATA ports on the motherboard (Z68 SATA-III & SATA-II, and ASRock SATA-III), and get the same XP errors on all of them.
        Even if I get my older hard drive that just has XP and Vista on it, I can get Vista to load, but not XP.

Comment

would be better to try and install/run xp on a seperate hdd? maybe three os's on one hdd might be affecting the boot up? isnt there something in the bios to enable for older os's? i cant remember the name of it
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
            would be better to try and install/run xp on a seperate hdd? maybe three os's on one hdd might be affecting the boot up? isnt there something in the bios to enable for older os's? i cant remember the name of it
            When the SATA Controller in the BIOS is set to IDE, there is a "Compatibility mode" and an "Enhanced" mode. I have tried both of those.
            The Manual says that "Enchanced" is for Win XP and newer, while "Compatibility" is for older versions of Windows 3.1-95 and DOS.

If you read my above post, you'll see that I did try another hard drive, that only had XP and Vista on it (dual boot) and got the same exact problems with it.

When using the XP Install CD, it gets to the point where I install the SATA controller drivers off the floppy, and then get to "Starting Windows". Then BSOD showing a problem with pci.sys

Comment

After further investigation, I've found out that XP (pre SP2) can't recognize PCI Express, so that is what is causing the pci.sys BSOD when using the XP install CD.

I followed the directions here on creating a new bootable XP CD that has both SP2 and SP3 installed in it, so that when you use the CD, it will have all the newer drivers.
              http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

I was able to boot off the XP CD that I created, and for the 1st time it got past the Starting Windows part. Now it asks if I just want to install XP or use the Recovery.

This is what I need to know...since I have 3 versions of Windows (XP, Vista, Win 7) on my main hard drive in their own partitions and have it set as a tri-boot, I need to reinstall XP using the CD that I created, but not lose the boot options of Vista and 7. Is this possible? Or will reinstalling XP (or using recovery) cause it to erase the Vista and Win 7 boot options? Will this also erase my programs and setting that are currently on the XP partition, or will they remain intact?
              Last edited by FAUguy; 10-27-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

it shouldnt mess up the other installs if its installed to a seperate partition BUT i have know it mess things up sometimes,you might be able to repair the boot up with win7 dvd/repair tool but its up to you,would be best to back up/clone you hdd before you install xp just to be safe
                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

it shouldnt mess up the other installs if its installed to a seperate partition BUT i have know it mess things up sometimes,you might be able to repair the boot up with win7 dvd/repair tool but its up to you,would be best to back up/clone you hdd before you install xp just to be safe
                  On my main HDD, it's C: XP, D: Vista, E: Win 7.
                  If I use the XP CD that I created, should I do the regular install, or the Repair (which I've never used before, but can learn about it) ?
                  If I press R, it shows a list of Windows installs and wants me to select one. Then just shows a C:\Windows command prompt.
                  Also, would re-installing XP cause the loss of my programs, or would I still be able to use them - or need to reinstall all the programs?

I know that Win 7 uses a different type of boot file than XP and Vista, so that is why Win 7 always has to be installed last.

Comment

yes it would wipe all your data with xp,only win7 can save your files in a folder called windows.old but even then its advised to back up beforehand,so what did you do again? delete xp or just back it up? if you backed it up try a repair/restore
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

You need a boot manager. I've been using Bootit Bare Metal (used to be called Bootit NG) for years. This would have saved you a whole heap of time and trouble. Makes multibooting mucho easier.

TeraByte Unlimited :: Boot Manager :: Partition Manager :: Drive Image :: Disk Copy :: Drive Wipe :: Hard Drive Utilities

Oh, and get a new monitor. :)
                      Last edited by roscolo; 10-28-2011, 12:06 AM.
                      Asrock z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3 / i7 2600k / 4x4GB GSkill 1333 RAM / Crucial m4 128GB / Win 7 Ult 64 / WD Black 640GB / Win XP Pro / Several Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDs / NZXT Hale90 650W PSU / AzzA Hurrican 2000 Case

Comment

yes it would wipe all your data with xp,only win7 can save your files in a folder called windows.old but even then its advised to back up beforehand,so what did you do again? delete xp or just back it up? if you backed it up try a repair/restore
                        Ok, I'll have to re-explain this.
                        My primary HDD has 5 partitions on it.
                        Partition 1 is Win XP, partition 2 is Vista, and partition 3 is Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Partition 4 & 5 has some data files.
                        Last month my old ABIT AMD Athlon board failed, so have to build a new system. The new MB is the ASRock Fatality Pro Gen3 using the Intel Z68 chipset.
                        So when I start my PC, it shows the boot screen for selecting which version of Windows you want to load, with Win 7 being the default.
                        If I select "Earlier version of Windows", it will start to load XP, but will BSOD (see 1st image at top).
                        If I have it load XP in Safe Mode, it stops at Mup.sys (see 2nd image above).

The XP is not damage or deleted, but seems to be that it's currently incompatible with my new Motherboard.
                        That is why I thought about re-installing XP over itself, or using the Repair mode, and see if that way it will get XP to run on the new motherboard.
                        By concern is if I re-install XP over itself, will it keep or erase all my programs that was installed under XP?
                        And will it delete or alter the boot file from showing all 3 versions of Windows to just showing Windows XP.

In simple terms, I need XP working again as it was before with all my programs intact, and also having the Windows Vista and Win 7 in the boot table so I can get into them. I use Win 7 98% of the time, but there are a few things that I have to use XP for and I don't want to lose my programs that are installed in XP.
                        Last edited by FAUguy; 10-27-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Your last post just illustrated why a boot manager is crucial and a lifesaver, definitely a timesaver and headache saver, especially if you're booting more than 2 OS's. Even now if you installed Bootit, or just ran Bootit off of a CD or floppy, you could easily copy, backup and Image your other OS installs, so even if you wipe something out, it's easily restored. Since your building new, if I were you I would start with a fresh HD anyway. Good luck.
                          Last edited by roscolo; 10-28-2011, 12:03 AM.
                          Asrock z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3 / i7 2600k / 4x4GB GSkill 1333 RAM / Crucial m4 128GB / Win 7 Ult 64 / WD Black 640GB / Win XP Pro / Several Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDs / NZXT Hale90 650W PSU / AzzA Hurrican 2000 Case

Comment

Originally posted by roscolo View Post
                            Your last post just illustrated why a boot manager is crucial and a lifesaver, definitely a timesaver and headache saver, especially if you're booting more than 2 OS's. Even now if you installed Bootit, or just ran Bootit off of a CD or floppy, you could easily copy, backup and Image your other OS installs, so even if you wipe something out, it's easily restored. Since your building new, if I were you I would start with a fresh HD anyway. Good luck.
                            Ok, I understand the part about using a boot manager to make the boot-up process easier to manage, and also backing up my Vista and Win 7 partitions.
                            But my concern is about getting my XP partition up and running without needing to reinstall all the programs.

Comment

Originally posted by FAUguy View Post
                              But my concern is about getting my XP partition up and running without needing to reinstall all the programs.
                              Exactly. That's what the Image backup is for. Your XP is restorable without needing to reinstall any of the existing installed programs. The Image will function just like it was when you made the Image backup of the XP installation.
                              Ideally, you would already have made the Image backup of your XP partition. But, it's not too late. There are probably ways to do it without Bootit, (maybe boot from a linux disk?), but I've been using Bootit so long I don't know or care about any other methods. No way would I try to install over the XP, repair install, or whatever, until I had made an Image backup of the XP partition, and the other partitions for that matter.
                              On the terabyte unlimited site I posted the link to above, looks like you can get a 30 day trial version of Image for Windows. Pretty sure that will not have any features disabled. And that should allow you to create a bootable CD, from there you can Image your XP installation (and your other OS installations). I would then just shut down, disconnect the HD your working on, and you can put in a fresh HD to restore your XP installation and play around and try whatever you need if it's not bootable. If it gets screwed up, won't matter. Because you have the Image backup, and you aren't screwing around with the HD that has those other OS's installed (which you will always be able to just shut down, and hook the HD containing those OS's back up and be right where you are now).
                              Last edited by roscolo; 10-28-2011, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X