• New AsRock H67M-GE/HT build unstable

Hi All,

I just completed an HTPC build consisting of:

- AsRock H67M-GE/HT mobo
    - Intel i5-2500
    - Crucial M4 64GB SSD
    - 8GB (4GBx2) PNY MD8192KD3-1333
    - ASUS BluRay

The initial build went great and the system was working as soon I turned it on. However, I began to notice an intermittent freeze while doing "normal" HTPC stuff (mostly via Boxee). Originally, I just attributed it to Boxee issues, but then I ran into it outside of Boxee several times.

Curious, I started by running MemTest86+ using the default tests. Interestingly, the tests run along fine for about an hour (and are on maybe the 3rd complete test cycle) when things go south. Out of nowhere, the screen goes black except for a vertical band of red, green, and blue "static" on the left edge of screen. At that point, a hard reset is needed.

I've tried testing with both 4GB memory modules together (in both pairs of DIMM slots), as well as each module separately. Each time, the result is nearly identical. Just over an hour of 100% clean MemTest86+ and them BAM! - black screen with RGB static on the left edge.

I can't find any published timing for the PNY memory, but I'm running it at 9-9-9-24-1, which was the default assigned by the mobo. All other OC-type settings are stock.

Since both mem modules produce the same results (together or individually), it doesn't really seem like faulty memory - could it be just a bit incompatible?

I have updated the mobo BIOS and all drivers to the latest version. When the system is working, it's absolutely flawless, but inevitably freezes up. Nearly always, the band of static exists on the left edge in case that's a clue.

I am using the integrated HD2000 graphics on the i5-2500. Since that shares system memory, might the tell-tale "static" after the freeze be related to the memory some how?

If you'd like more details, I'm happy to provide them. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Godfrey

Re: New AsRock H67M-GE/HT build unstable

try one or two clicks more igpu voltage than what auto is using,same for imc or qpi/vtt voltage and set dram voltage to whats printed on your ram,either 1.5v or 1.65v
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      try one or two clicks more igpu voltage than what auto is using,same for imc or qpi/vtt voltage and set dram voltage to whats printed on your ram,either 1.5v or 1.65v
      Thanks for the response. Interestingly, just letting the box sit doing nothing will eventually lock it up. It doesn't even have to be in Windows. Just sitting in the text-based menu of an "Ultimate Boot CD", it locked up this morning (though after quite some time).

I've made some adjustments based on your suggestions. Specifically:

- Changed DRAM voltage from 1.575v to 1.545v (not sure down is good?). That's the closest to the 1.5v spec without going under...
      - Changed igpu voltage from 1.250v to 1.275v (two ticks up)
      - Changed vtt voltage from 1.057v to 1.075v (two ticks up)

Running memtest86+ now.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

OK,

The above settings locked up at 1 hour 15 minutes in memtest86+. However, this is the first time the lock up didn't black out the screen, but instead just froze the memtest text - which is why it was easy to see the 1:15 wall time. Not sure whether the non-black screen is indicative of something I adjusted above or just coincidental (likely the latter).

Anyway, I just heard back from PNY tech support. They suggest I set the RAM to 8-8-8-24 and 1.65v. I'm testing that now (though I left the other changes made in the previous post).

Jeff

Comment

The test using the above-mentioned PNY settings locked up memtest at 1 hour 22 minutes. Since then though, I've heard back from ASRock support. They have me running a more bare-bones test, which I'm doing now...

Comment

it could either be ram voltage or imc voltsge thats causing the lock ups,seems like not enough imc voltage from what your describing,you might wanna try between 1.08v-1.10v imc voltage,try setting cpu voltage on normal if you have that setting,it might help things
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Nope. The ASRock tests were a no-go too. To their credit, both PNY and ASRock have offered to RMA their portions of the build. Hoping that it's simply a memory incompatibility, I opted to RMA the memory to NewEgg for a refund (as opposed to a replacement had I RMA'd it to PNY). I've now ordered some G.SKill memory that ASRock specifically lists as "supported" on the mobo's product page. I'll report back when I've received and tested it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

i hope the new ram fixes things,post back on how you get on
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

it could either be ram voltage or imc voltsge thats causing the lock ups,seems like not enough imc voltage from what your describing,you might wanna try between 1.08v-1.10v imc voltage,try setting cpu voltage on normal if you have that setting,it might help things
                  Sorry, I missed this post. I'll give this a try when my current test locks up... I've got nothing better to do while I await my new RAM...

Comment

To continue the saga... I tried the above-mentioned settings last night, but got the same freeze at about 1 hour 5 minutes... It seems strange to me that the freeze happens in the same general time frame each time (somewhere between 1 hour and 1 hour 20 minutes). Since memtest is on its 3rd complete test cycle at that point, I doesn't seem to be related to a specific portion of the test... Oh well, at this point I guess I'll just wait for my new memory to arrive.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Comment

have you looked what cpu voltage your using? or what auto is using?
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

have you looked what cpu voltage your using? or what auto is using?
                        Just checked - currently set for 1.160v.

Jeff

Comment

could try adding +0.0450v in cpu voltage offset,set cpu voltage to normal setting or auto if you dont have it,should be in cpu voltage list,then repeat the memtest and see if it still stalls at an hour in
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

could try adding +0.0450v in cpu voltage offset,set cpu voltage to normal setting or auto if you dont have it,should be in cpu voltage list,then repeat the memtest and see if it still stalls at an hour in
                            I appreciate all of your advice. However, in this case, I didn't have time to run this test as I had to get the memory in the mail to beat the NewEgg return window. So, now I'm kind of dead in the water until the new order arrives.

I'll keep you posted.

Jeff
                            Last edited by jgodfrey; 10-28-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

ahh ok no problem
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                              X