Two Problems: GA-Z68XP-UD4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Problems: GA-Z68XP-UD4

Last week I built up a new system using a GA-Z68XP-UD4 motherboard and i5-2500K CPU. The build went fairly smoothly, apart from a few boot looping problems which I solved (fingers crossed). I'm currently running at 4.6GHz (46 x 100), and am experiencing two problems related to sleep (S3), running Win7 Pro x64.

Problem #1: If I set the Marvell controller for the eSATA ports to AHCI mode in the BIOS everything works fine except when I put the machine to sleep. When I wake it up it blue screens. To get around this, I'm currently running the Marvell controller in IDE mode, which allows me to wake the machine up without crashing, but of course I lose the hot swap ability. However, I've noticed something peculiar. When I first boot into Win7 and look at Device Manager, the Marvell controller shows up along with the Intel controller using the Microsoft driver. If I try to get the Marvell controller to use the Marvell driver, Windows says that the driver is incompatible with my hardware. However, after putting the machine to sleep and waking it up, the Marvell controller now shows up under Storage Controllers as "Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller" and functions as if it were in AHCI mode. I can turn my external eSATA drives on and they mount automatically.

Problem #2: As I mentioned previously, my BIOS is set for a multiplier of 46. However, when I wake the machine up after going to sleep (S3), CPU-Z reports a multiplier of 16 (running LinX). After waking the machine up, I have to run ET6 to bring the multiplier back up to 46.

Are these common problems, or is there something wrong with my motherboard? I have only seen one person complaining of problem #2 (with no solution that I'm aware of), and nobody complaining about problem #1. Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Re: Two Problems: GA-Z68XP-UD4

are you using the latest drivers and mb bios? tried beta bios?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      are you using the latest drivers and mb bios? tried beta bios?
      Wazza, thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I'm using BIOS F5 (not aware of a newer beta BIOS), and the drivers I'm using are what I downloaded from Gigabyte's web site earlier last week.

BTW, can any of you that have this board tell me if what I'm experiencing is normal or not?
      Last edited by BobCollette; 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobCollette View Post
        Wazza, thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I'm using BIOS F5 (not aware of a newer beta BIOS), and the drivers I'm using are what I downloaded from Gigabyte's web site earlier last week.

BTW, can any of you that have this board tell me if what I'm experiencing is normal or not?
        I have that same board and Marvell controllers are in AHCI mode. No problems with sleep, same thing with both Marvell and Microsoft standard AHCI drivers. I'm also using F5 bios like you.

Are you saying that multiplier is stuck at 16x after sleep and only starts changing after running ET6 or are we just talking about normal powersaving that downclocks cpu to 1600 MHz when it is idling.
        Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
        i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz, EK Supreme HF
        Kingston HyperX Genesis PC3-12800 2* 4 GB
        Radeon HD 7950
        OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
        XFX 650W Core edition
        Fractal Design Arc Midi

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5
        i7-3770K @ 4.5 GHz, XSPC Raystorm
        G.Skill Ripjaws X 2* 4 GB
        Radeon HD 6870 * 2
        PNY XL8 120 GB
        Super Flower SF-700P14XE
        Bitfenix Shinobi XL

Comment

I can tell you 99% sure sleep resume problems are down to either a BIOS bug/issue that hasn't been fixed yet or a ram setting/voltage not correctly set,I wouldn't worry too much,its not the mb it can be easily fixed with a revised BIOS but you will have to wait until one comes out that fixes it
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

No real problems here with sleep at 43x100 and the Marvell eSATA controller in AHCI mode. I did notice though that sometimes upon resume Windows (7 HP x64 SP1) will "reinstall" the Marvell SATA driver. But it always works for me, no bluescreens. I am using Marvell driver 1.2.0.1006 from the driver links in this forum.

Edit: using F5 BIOS.
            Last edited by flyfisher; 11-05-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mm67 View Post
              Are you saying that multiplier is stuck at 16x after sleep and only starts changing after running ET6 or are we just talking about normal powersaving that downclocks cpu to 1600 MHz when it is idling.
              I have EIST enabled, so I have to run something such as LinX to increase the CPU load to get a true indication of the multiplier. After waking up from sleep, if I launch CPU-Z and then run LinX, it shows a multiplier of 16X. After running ET6, I can load my 46X settings and it holds it until I put the machine to sleep again.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfisher View Post
                No real problems here with sleep at 43x100 and the Marvell eSATA controller in AHCI mode.

Edit: using F5 BIOS.
                Flyfisher, thanks for letting me know that the Marvell controller in AHCI mode is working for you with sleep. That confirms my suspicion that there's something wrong with my system. Maybe not the motherboard per se, but something, either hardware or software. I did "re-use" the hard drive with Win7 already installed from my previous system (Gigabyte P55-UD4P). I may try doing a clean install of Win7 and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

just set your power plan profile in windows power saving options to high performance,then cpu multi should jump to 46x,then if it does set back to balanced and it should reduce
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help. Thanks to flyfisher, I now have the Marvell AHCI issue solved. I had been using the Marvell driver from the Gigabyte website, which is an older driver than the one on this site (which flyfisher brought to my attention). Using the newer driver has solved the problem.

I still have the problem of the machine losing the overclock when waking up from sleep, but I noticed something strange. If set BIOS to Optimized Defaults the multiplier doesn't drop to 16X after sleep (it stays at 34). In fact, if I do nothing in the BIOS but raise the multiplier to 40X, it also retains the multiplier after waking up. However, if I then set the multiplier to 46X, it drops back to 16X after waking up. Looks like I still have more playing around to do on this problem.

Comment

what dram voltage are you using? and what amount of qpi/vtt voltage at 4.6ghz?
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

what dram voltage are you using? and what amount of qpi/vtt voltage at 4.6ghz?
                        I'm using 1.600 V for RAM (RAM is 1.65V) and RAM is running at 1333MHz, and QPI/VTT is 1.125V. The only other voltages that are different from "stock" are:

System Agent = 0.930V (stock is 0.920)
                        Vcore = 1.230V (stock is 1.200)
                        CPU PLL = 1.810V (stock is 1.800)

Comment

Unless you have one hell of a chip, 1.23 Vcore at 4.6 GHz seems way too low. I would try higher Vcore.

Comment

could test with dram voltage at 1.66v and qpi/vtt at 1.15v see if it improves from sleep resume,are you manually setting the timings? if not i would do that aswell according to your ram
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

could test with dram voltage at 1.66v and qpi/vtt at 1.15v see if it improves from sleep resume,are you manually setting the timings? if not i would do that aswell according to your ram
                              Thanks for the reply and I'll try your suggestion. However, I'm not sure why that would solve the problem. The machine is stable at 4.6GHz (although I haven't run Prime95 yet). When I wake it up from S3 sleep, it is running at 1.6GHz (16X). When I run ET6, it shows Core 1 running at 16X and the other 3 cores at 34X (not sure of exact number as I'm not on computer right now). With ET6, I can bring all 4 multipliers back up to 46 and it then runs fine until I put it to sleep. Then the cycle starts over again. Yes, I have manually set the RAM timings.

Comment

Working...
                              X