Overclocking Bulldozer on GA-990FXA-UD5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Bulldozer on GA-990FXA-UD5

PRE-THREAD EDIT: My issues reside primarily with this motherboard, which does not seem to work with four sticks of RAM (or at least mine) and has voltage drop under load such that makes it impossible to maintain stability at higher frequencies.

ORIGINAL POST: Alright, I guess I'm going to be the n00b to pop this cherry.

I'm trying to push my FX-8120, and I keep running into instability problems. I'm tweaking with my RAM, which should be 2133MHz/1.65V @ 9-11-10-28, but even at stock speeds, it does not make it ten minutes in Prime95. If I back off either RAM or FSB, it seems to be more stable. If I put FSB at 228 and x9.33 and the board won't make it to OS load.

As per the thread title, I'm using a GA-990FX-UD5, and it has HORRIBLE Vdrop from load. (Talking 1.52V down to 1.36V during stability testing.) Any words of advice on this? Anyone have other, hopefully more positive, experiences with Bulldozer?

EDIT: I have tested BIOS F6, F7A, and F7C, and none of them address the max RAM issue. This board states that it supports 32GB maximum, but it cannot handle 4 DIMMs, or at least mine, that is.
    Last edited by agenthex; 11-17-2011, 06:41 PM.

Re: Overclocking Bulldozer on GA-990FXA-UD5

sin0822 posted a guid for bulldozer overclocking .

Try adding a bit of CPU NB VID Control

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      sin0822 posted a guid for bulldozer overclocking .

Try adding a bit of CPU NB VID Control
      Yeah, I've been over that several times now. He may be a smart guy, but he writes like a moron.

Comment

agenthex, I have to say something here. I read the bulldozer OCing thread several times - I had no problem understanding what sin0822 was writing about "OCing the bulldozer". He made a simple to follow OCing guide that most people can follow. The key word here is "MOST". Just because you don't understand what he's talking about - is no reason for your comment. Thanks wibujo
        THRASHER: Liquid Cooled
        Cooler Master XB EVO<>G1 Sniper 5 v1.0 F10<>4770k vid 1.022<>Batch#3332B365
        OC 4.4GHz 1.25v<>G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-32GTX 10-12-12-31 1.65v 2400MHz 32GB's
        2/Gigabyte R9 290X CrossFireX<>Corsair AX1200I<>2/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB raid0
        Windows 7 Ultimate<>idle 28c

Comment

Originally posted by wibujo View Post
          agenthex, I have to say something here. I read the bulldozer OCing thread several times - I had no problem understanding what sin0822 was writing about "OCing the bulldozer". He made a simple to follow OCing guide that most people can follow. The key word here is "MOST". Just because you don't understand what he's talking about - is no reason for your comment. Thanks wibujo
          Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like a dick. I read his post multiple times. I'm familiar with overclocking my Athlon64 X2 several years ago. I'm not exactly a noob at this, and I get what he's saying, but it's just a written with more unprofessional commentary than how-to guide.

Anyway, that's really just a side-note. As far as I'm concerned, this motherboard is crap. It has some wicked voltage droop under load (Swings from 1.52 down to 1.36.), the memory divider can make my board fail to boot (checksum failed or other erratic behavior when I set it to 9.33x) at less than rated speeds for all equipment, and the FSB going above 265 MHz causes issues, too. I bought the board with the Bulldozer, so perhaps NewEgg will be kind and let me send it back. There is no LLC adjustment, and everything I've read/heard about Bulldozer shows that it should be happy at 4.5-5.0 GHz and beyond.

I'm really just looking to see with what hardware others have had success.
          Last edited by agenthex; 11-07-2011, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Hi there,

as a matter of interest how many sticks of RAM are you running? Also what other hardware do you have installed?

If you could post your system spec's it might help with troubleshooting.
            Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: GA-AX370-Gaming K7 - PSU: Corsair AXi 760 Watt Modular
            CPU: AMD Ryzen7 1800 X - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock (AM4) - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 32Gb running at 2400MHz
            GPU: Palit Geforce GTX 1050Ti - Monitor: 27" Dell U2713HM
            Storage: Samsung M.2 NVMe 500Gb, Corsair Force GS 250Gb SSD, SanDisk 250Gb SSD
            ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Keyboard: Logitech K800; Logitech Touchpad T650 - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Comment

Originally posted by absic View Post
              Hi there,

as a matter of interest how many sticks of RAM are you running? Also what other hardware do you have installed?

If you could post your system spec's it might help with troubleshooting.
              Thanks for the reminder. I have two of the sets of RAM for a total of 16GB in 4 sticks. I probably should have set up a signature when I created my account here. Specs are as follows:

Board: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
              CPU: Newegg.com - AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz 8MB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX
              RAM: Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model 996996
              GPU: Newegg.com - VisionTek 900298 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity
              Cooling: 1/2" liquid loop (MCT-40) from DangerDen.

I think everything else is irrelevant, but if you want more, I can post it.
              Last edited by agenthex; 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Hi again,

I have come across a reported problem with the GA-990FXA-UD3 having similar issues getting RAM to run at 1866MHz when all four slots are populated. Check here for this thread at Gigabyte UK: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.p...ic,7190.0.html ) I have been unable to do any testing so far as I don't have a Bulldozer chip to drop into my PC.

Try removing two sticks of RAM and then see if you can get the rated speed. If you can then this may be a BIOS issue rather than anything else.

Sorry that you have to be the beta tester but hey, someone has to do it and it usually seems to be me! (lol)
                Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: GA-AX370-Gaming K7 - PSU: Corsair AXi 760 Watt Modular
                CPU: AMD Ryzen7 1800 X - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock (AM4) - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 32Gb running at 2400MHz
                ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Keyboard: Logitech K800; Logitech Touchpad T650 - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Comment

Originally posted by absic View Post
                  Hi again,

I have come across a reported problem with the GA-990FXA-UD3 having similar issues getting RAM to run at 1866MHz when all four slots are populated. Check here for this thread at Gigabyte UK: GigaByte GA-990FXA-UD3/G.Skill 1866 mhz memory ?? ) I have been unable to do any testing so far as I don't have a Bulldozer chip to drop into my PC.

Try removing two sticks of RAM and then see if you can get the rated speed. If you can then this may be a BIOS issue rather than anything else.

Sorry that you have to be the beta tester but hey, someone has to do it and it usually seems to be me! (lol)
                  I'm okay with being a beta tester. I knew this when I bought bleeding-edge tech. Thanks for the tip. I work from home, so I'll have to shutdown and pull two sticks when I'm done for the day.

Comment

Are you running the F6 BIOS?

Comment

I saw a review on X-BIT labs they could not OC the UD7 for some reason could be some BIOS updates will fix all that.
                      How high CPU NB VID Control have you tried?

Comment

Yes, I'm on BIOS F6. First thing I did once it was installed.

I've pushed the CPU VID to 1.53, which ends up as 1.55 or so after boot. This is about the point where it pushes 70-degrees Celsius and I decide to back it off.

CPU NB Voltage I've put at 1.35, but not for too long. Just long enough to know it wasn't stable at ~stock~ NB frequency (so clearly not a NB issue).

Mobo NB voltage has seen 1.15 (up from 1.1) for 266MHz, but still unstable.

Seriously, though, this board has been out for months. AM3+FX hasn't been out that long, but they should have had a ton of time to fix problems with this board. There is NO WAY that I should be seeing memory speed problems unless the RAM itself is bad.

Comment

It's possible that you have a faulty module and running MemTest should show if this is the case.

I also agree that you shouldn't really be having issues but until user's actually get their hands on the new chips and start using them, everything the motherboard manufacturer's are doing is based on the information they get from AMD. It is only when people start running these processors do the problems start showing up. When I first got hold of the GA-990FXA-UD5 I discovered several problems with BIOS such as not being able to access it when I had four HDD's attached and that is one of the reasons I haven't rushed to get a Bulldozer FX processor.

I do have a beta F7a BIOS for this board that I can forward to you if you wish to try it. I haven't tested it myself yet, but it may address this issue.

Comment

I'd be happy to Beta test the BIOS if I can't determine anything else from memtest. Do you have any info about it other than the binary itself?

Comment

Sadly I don't have any info about it. It was sent to me as I am a moderator on the Gigabyte UK website and I have been testing various BIOS releases for them.

I will send it to your e-mail address, please check the junk and spam boxes if it doesn't appear as sometimes the e-mail can be deleted due to the RAR attachment. I would recommend using QFlash to actually update the BIOS and also that you disable the "Keep DMI Data" option on the QFlash homescreen before running the update.
                              Last edited by absic; 11-08-2011, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X