Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 : Ivy Bridge support ???

Hello,

I would like to know if the Z68 motherboards from Asrock will support Ivy Bridge.
    I am particularly interested in buying a Z68M-ITX/HT (micro-ITX), but I want to be able to upgrade the CPU latter on.

Thanks,

Tuc

Re: Asrock Z68 : Ivy Bridge support ???

Comment

Code:
      Z68 Professional Gen3 and Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 will support Ivy Bridge CPU.
      Thank you but the Asrock answer does not concern ALL the Z68 boards, especially not mine...just a few very expensive full ATX ones.

But I appreciate the effort, thanks ;)

Tuc

Comment

"We are afraid that you will still need a new board.

Even the Panther point PCH chipset is pin compatible with Cougar Point chipset of Sandy Bridge, but again this might help board manufactures to make boards faster, but end users will need to buy a new board."

What part of this did you fail to understand ?

And that concerns ALL Z68 motherboards not just the just a few very expensive full ATX ones.

So what makes you think your Z68 motherboard is so special (especially yours) that it is different to the rest of the Z68 range, so what are you talking about ?

Thunder Bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder Bird View Post
          http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/i...th-socket-1155

"We are afraid that you will still need a new board.

Even the Panther point PCH chipset is pin compatible with Cougar Point chipset of Sandy Bridge, but again this might help board manufactures to make boards faster, but end users will need to buy a new board."

What part of this did you fail to understand ?

And that concerns ALL Z68 motherboards not just the just a few very expensive full ATX ones.

So what makes you think your Z68 motherboard is so special (especially yours) that it is different to the rest of the Z68 range, so what are you talking about ?

Thunder Bird.
          First, you calm down, you look a bit pissed off...please keep that bad mood for yourself.

Secondly, you first gave me a link to your thread where an employee from Asrock explains that your board will be OK with Ivy Bridge (sorry it does not concern mine)

Then, you come back here "furious" (?!) with another link, not an official answer from Asrock, which is one year old and says something different...I prefer believe a brand new answer from Asrock instead of this last crappy link.

Again, thanks for your help, but please let me dealing with my own very-special Asrock board now

Tuc

Comment

First of all you calm down.

I am only trying to help you.

So may I first ask what benefit do you hope to gain by upgrading your special motherboard to the Ivy Bridge CPU ?

Thunder Bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder Bird View Post
              First of all you calm down.

I am only trying to help you.

So may I first ask what benefit do you hope to gain by upgrading your special motherboard to the Ivy Bridge CPU ?

Thunder Bird.
              Something like lower power consumption and heat (micro-itx case...) as well as more future possibilities to find a second hand CPU to replace the current one (i3-2100).

Good answer? No, I am not looking for more power, I know that Ivy Bridge CPUs will be as powerfull as the Sandy Bridge are ;)

Comment

I would like to know if the Z68 motherboards from Asrock will support Ivy Bridge.
                The keywords are support and compatibility. Whether any specific Z68 motherboard model will work with the upcoming Ivy Bridge processors will be determined after the "final"consumer processors are fully tested in P67 and Z68 motherboards. Lower power consumption shouldn't be an issue, the main question is which Ivy Bridge features won't be backward compatible or supported with current Sandy Bridge motherboards.

A different but related issue concerns the often hyped Gen3 support. I don't see any advantage to buying a current Sandy Bridge motherboard now if one wants to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge cpu in the future. Right now it looks like Ivy Bridge processors and motherboards will be released sometime in March or April in 2012.
                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                X