No announcement yet.

GF4 Ti 4200 - Fast 64MB or normal 128MB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GF4 Ti 4200 - Fast 64MB or normal 128MB?

I've decided to buy a new video card and have narrowed the choices down to 2 cards based on price and speed etc.

Basically I am left with 1 last choice - there are 2 cards at AU$359 that have caught my eye. The first is a "GeForce4 TI4200 SE SUMA 64meg 3.3ns DDR Ram DVI and TV out" - these cards are known for their speed and can apparently be cranked to about the speed of a Ti 4600. The other is a "GeForce4 TI4200 X-Micro 128meg DDR Ram TV OUT Games pack", which is obviously a 128mb card.

My dilemma is do I go for the ultra-fast 64mb card or the larger memory 128mb card? As fas as I can tell the 128mb card is already slower than most 64mb cards due to the slower RAM but come to the fore when running games with large amounts of textures. The only other difference is I think the 128mb card has ViVo (is this really useful - it doesnt seem that special to me).

Also in order to get better performance out of the 3.3ns RAM on the SUMA willl I have to overclock it - or will it just run faster as is?

Thanks for your opinions!
    Leyton.

I'd go with the 64mb version with the faster RAM - Right now your graphics card is going to see faster performance from the additional speed the RAM provides over the extra 64mb RAM.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Here is an interesting read on 64mb vs 128mb vid cards:

http://tech-report.com/etc/2002q3/g...em/index.x?pg=1

Comment

Working...
      X