Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock X58 Extreme no OC but 6 DIMM's very unstable in Prime95

Hi,

When I install all 6 DIMM's with RAM running Prime95 results in nearly all core threads failing immediately to within 3min due to a P95 error description of a "rounding error". If I run the three primary DIMM's the system is stable using either of the sets of RAM, in other words the problem doesn't seem to be the RAM since both sets of 3 sticks run stable when installed in the primary DIMMs. This is occuring at default settings for the BIOS. The only potentially odd thing I have noticed is that the AUTO settings on the BIOS are setting the RAM at 8-8-8-20 even though the RAM spec is 9-9-9-24. I tried manually setting the RAM to 9-9-9-24 and still got the P95 failures described above. Any thoughts?

XSRock X58 Extreme (current BIOS)
    Intel Core i7 920
    G.Skill DDR-3 1333 9-9-9-24 1.5V 2GBx3 (F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ)

Thanks

Re: ASRock X58 Extreme no OC but 6 DIMM's very unstable in Prime95

Taking a stab at this...Although the board, for that matter any board, that has 6 DIMM's in all liklihood will require more voltage to your DIMM's then what the default BIOS settings are for RAM voltages. Most default settings are for 2 or 4 sticks at the most. Plus there is a vDrop factor which is the difference between what voltage you set in the BIOS compared to the actual voltage that is reported by software for example CPU-Z or AIDA64 for your memory. To compensate for this vDrop you add + voltage to your DIMMs in the BIOS, in small increments, till the end result is the desired voltage as displayed by the software under windows. Additionally you may need to relax your memory timings than what the specs are to gain stability as well...

The GSkill Forum is a good place to research and/or post your issues as there may have been someone else who had the same problem and found a solution."Tradesman" is the resident GSkill Support Person and he might have some ideas as well...

GSKILL TECH FORUM - Powered by vBulletin

Good Luck!
    SaphireX

Comment

Working...
    X