Updating Q-Flash and BIOS on GA-EP45-DS3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating Q-Flash and BIOS on GA-EP45-DS3R

Warning The software (@BIOS) used here has had problems in the past. Please consider following the guide to flashing your BIOS found here --->>>http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html If you use @BIOS in windows please do not hold me accountable for any damage that may occur. One reason, I started this thread is to share my positive experience thats all.
    Hi Guys, just thought I would post my results on updating my BIOS and possibly Q-Flash, with @BIOS. I am posting my experience on updating to share my results with all of you. I would also like to help others to update their boards in a safe and sane way. Keeping in mind that this is not a tutorial from an expert, just an average Guy with a bit of education and a desire to learn new things.

First of all, I wanted to update my OS with some new flavors of UBUNTU and possibly PCBSD, but there were some concerns about my BIOS. I thought where should I start? Well why not at the beginning with the BIOS. First the question of updating the Q-Flash program in the BIOS using @BIOS, which I have read about. Normally, people will say do not use @BIOS (early versions) due to the bad flash problems that were occurring. However, @BIOS has matured a bit since the early days and I decided to try it.

Keeping in mind, I have been a dedicated user of Q-Flash for updating my BIOS for safety reasons. I always download the BIOS with Getright DL manager to ensure the quality of the download. I always check the model number and revision of the board I am flashing to ensure a trouble free flash. The model number and revision are written on the MOBO (revision is usually on one corner). After downloading and extracting the BIOS file I put the file in a FAT32 partition of my harddrive or USB drive. I always ensure that the power will not go out during the flash by using a battery back up UPS.

During reading here at tweak town forums I discovered that I can use @BIOS to update my Q-Flash possibly to a newer version right now I am using version 2.13(Q-FLash) I learning about it in this thread about flashing BIOS larger than 1MB, described here by AceBMXer -->> http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...then-1-mb.html I Downloaded the latest ver of @BIOS v2.12 (B11.0519.1) Which is found on this page -->> GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Utility - Motherboard Its halfway down the page. Also be aware there are different versions of this program and some early versions may still Bork your Mobo, so be careful. I also downloaded the latest stable BIOS, PRIOR to Flashing (F11 non-beta) and then flash inside windows XP. Then reboot and tap the delete key to get back to BIOS menu. Load optimised defaults and then save and exit or F10 key. Back in the BIOS menu to reset all pertinent settings ie:ram volts, hard drive settings(AHCI, RAID or IDE) any hardware that is not currently in use too (IDE controllers 1394 Host controllers,etc). Save and exit again, then reboot back to windows. Once in windows open @bios. Make sure to check the option to "clear dmi pool data". And then update to the new BIOS(F11i in my case). Reboot to BIOS and load optimized defaults again, save and reboot. Back in the BIOS reset all pertinent settings to get you back into windows. Check the Bios version to confirm all is well and updated in @BIOS (you can also see it in one of the early splash screens while the PC is booting as well).
    WARNING: There is still a chance that something can go wrong, so be careful. As they always say I cannot be responsible if something goes wrong. If you have doubts then please do not update your BIOS, Thank you!

Side effects or problems noted: After flashing I did notice that the PC seemed to get stuck at one screen during booting. This screen was during the bios inspection of the hardware and when it states that the DMI pool has been updated. Well one time it got stuck and would not move from that point, so I powered down and then powered on again. It did boot after that and worked normally. The settings in the BIOS were re-arranged to different places when I went in to reset my settings, but it was not a problem. The BIOS may have been re-designed by the BIOS writers.
    My purpose here is to show others how easy it is to update the BIOS and possibly learn something too. Like I said I am far from perfect.
    Max
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 09-03-2012, 11:16 AM. Reason: Add info and disclaimer
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Re: Updating Q-Flash and BIOS on GA-EP45-DS3R

I just installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 11.10 on the rest of a newer drive I got from a friend on ebay. Everything seems to be working ok
    Note: Due to the controversial nature of @BIOS I have reconsidered updating this thread, or adding any new information to it Thanks and Happy computing......
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-04-2012, 05:08 PM. Reason: Add info
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

Re: Updating Q-Flash and BIOS on GA-EP45-DS3R

Glad to hear all is well!!

Comment

Working...
      X