"Begin to update backup BIOS" Loop on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Begin to update backup BIOS" Loop on startup

I'm having the same problems as this guy: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ios-issue.html

SPECS:
    CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 @3.2Ghz
    RAM: Patriot 8GB 1600 (on this board it sets it to 1333 on default)
    Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-D3 (this board has dual BIOS)
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 6870 Windforce
    PSU: 620W antec.

I have owned this PC for 3+ months.

Friday night, I installed a game then when I restarted my PC it got past the BIOS menu then a message came up saying "Begin to update backup BIOS"

followed by "Writing BIOS" then several "...". I have found that taking out the watch battery for a few minutes, putting it back in, then shorting the 2 pins on CLR_CMOS allows me to boot to windows (but after a while shuts down). I called up NCIX (the people who built my PC) and they recommended that I re install my OS and update my BIOS. I did this, and it still hasn't worked.

Please help!

Thanks!
    Last edited by InsanelyOrange; 01-28-2012, 06:43 PM.

Re: "Begin to update backup BIOS" Loop on startup

I have also tested both of my sticks of RAM separately and neither of them help to boot.

Comment

Re: "Begin to update backup BIOS" Loop on startup

i cant see how a game can alter the stability of your pc,esp when you arnt playing it,i havnt got a clue when it comes to amd settings does your mb have onboard graphics? if so try with those to see if its graphic card problem ect
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: &quot;Begin to update backup BIOS&quot; Loop on startup

My motherboard doesn't come with onboard GPU.

Comment

Can you see in the event log what is the cause for windows to shut down?
          In BIOS press F9, are both backup and main BIOS version the same, and what is your BIOS version?

Comment

So, this happens on every boot? Even after you updated the BIOS manually, and or let it update the backup BIOS?

Can you test with a single stick of memory and see if that helps. Is your 8GB 2x4GB or 4x2GB?

Go into the BIOS, and on the MAIN page press F9 for system info, and tell me if your BIOS shows Main and backup BIOS versions and if so do they match, if not what does it show the backup version as?

Sounds like the backup BIOS is corrupt, but when the main issue happens and it flashes the backup that should be corrected. You could try to do this manually and see if it helps, here's how.

If a single stick of memory stops the issue, then you should test each of your sticks one at a time with Memtest86+ for at least 5 full passes and see if they all act the same and don't show any errors.
            Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If it continues on each startup, no matter what we try, it may be doing this because the backup BIOS is physically damaged somehow so on every reboot it tries to correct itself.

Comment

Thanks for responding to my PM!

Here is a Picture of my system info when I hit F9 : imgur: the simple image sharer

I didn't see anything regarding my backup BIOS. I have already tried running both sticks or RAM seperatly, but it didn't do a thing. I did now that I think of it run them in different slots, so I might go back and retest them both in the same slot. I have 2X4GB sticks (Patriot Hyper X).
              I'm still watching the video about the backup BIOS, and will get back to you when I try it. If the video doesn't help me I'll try the looking at the RAM agian.
              I also started a thread on another website before I came to this one:Computer attempting to update bios after restart - Chipsets-Bios - Motherboards-Memory
              Someone suggested using a program called Killdisk, just in case it is a virus. Thoughts about trying that?

Thanks agian everyone.

Comment

Alright, I flashed my backup BIOS with my main BIOS like in the video and it didn't solve the problem. Now my system will boot to windows randomly, when trying to acess my bios my keyboard sometimes wouldn't connet and it would boot to windows 2 times out of 5. Wen't full retard and spilt water on my desk, so I'm going to wait a bit for the surface to fully dry before I open my computer and put anything electronical on it. Then after I'll try checking my RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  So, this happens on every boot? Even after you updated the BIOS manually, and or let it update the backup BIOS?

Can you test with a single stick of memory and see if that helps. Is your 8GB 2x4GB or 4x2GB?

Go into the BIOS, and on the MAIN page press F9 for system info, and tell me if your BIOS shows Main and backup BIOS versions and if so do they match, if not what does it show the backup version as?

Sounds like the backup BIOS is corrupt, but when the main issue happens and it flashes the backup that should be corrected. You could try to do this manually and see if it helps, here's how.

If a single stick of memory stops the issue, then you should test each of your sticks one at a time with Memtest86+ for at least 5 full passes and see if they all act the same and don't show any errors.
                  Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If it continues on each startup, no matter what we try, it may be doing this because the backup BIOS is physically damaged somehow so on every reboot it tries to correct itself.
                  Alright, going to try the Memtest86+ but need more instructions on how to use it. Should I try each stick of ram in the same slot? Probably going to do that. I'm currently on PC, it was able to boot windows finally. I put Memtest 86+ V4.20 on my usb with the "Auto installer for usb key". Just need to know how to use it.

Thanks.

Comment

Update: Whenever I am able to boot onto my OS, it will auto restart after about 10-15min. Then it will boot right up into windows agian, not sure if its a virus or if I just screwed up installing my OS.

Comment

Press F12 at post and choose USB drive from boot drives menu when it comes up, or choose + HArd Disk and select the USB there.

Comment

Originally posted by InsanelyOrange View Post
                        Here is a Picture of my system info when I hit F9 : imgur: the simple image sharer

Someone suggested using a program called Killdisk, just in case it is a virus. Thoughts about trying that?

Thanks agian everyone.
                        Ya, some BIOSes don't show the backup version :(

Killdisk will just zero out your hard drive, and if you are not sure how to start a windows install from a RAW disk you might get into a fight with your hard drive :)

What hard drive are you using anyway, if it's an SSD what firmware version do you have installed?

Comment

Ya, some BIOSes don't show the backup version :(

Killdisk will just zero out your hard drive, and if you are not sure how to start a windows install from a RAW disk you might get into a fight with your hard drive :)

What hard drive are you using anyway, if it's an SSD what firmware version do you have installed?
                          I have a hard drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB

Last night I got my computer running for all night and the next day without it auto shutting down (didn't turn it off over night). Then restarted to see if it would still present the problem, and It's still in the same condition. But now it hasn't booted once, might have to try the trick of taking the battery out and then shorting the pins on CLR_CMOS. Would it be possible I got a bad board and could just RMA it? I have tried everything except the killdisk, could that solve the problem? Might have to send it to NCIX or try a computer shop locally, kind of short on dough though since I sunk alot of money into this computer.

Comment

Killdisk isn't going to help anything, all that is for is to zero out a drive to remove all your data like if you are selling a drive, or wanting to do a clean install and you do it just because. Sure it can remove a virus, but viruses that need something like that are few and far between, and you'd know if you had a virus like that it would be doing far more than just rebooting the computer.

You can RMA the board anytime with Gigabyte, or if you bought it at NCIX you should probably email them and ask for an exchange on the board and memory due to either incompatibility or faulty board. I'd exchange both at the same time if they will let you, and maybe even choose a different set of memory if they'll allow it.

Have you asked at the patriot forums if they can say for sure that memory kit is compatible with this board? If you haven't, you should ask them and see what they say just to be sure in case they might be aware of some issue.
                            Patriot Memory Support Forums

I'd exchange the board for sure! Does this also happen with only 1 x 4GB module installed? If so, can you test with another 2GB module from any other systems in your house, that way you can possibly find out if it's the 8GB patriot causing the issue.

Comment

I'd exchange the board for sure! Does this also happen with only 1 x 4GB module installed? If so, can you test with another 2GB module from any other systems in your house, that way you can possibly find out if it's the 8GB patriot causing the issue.
                              I emailed NXIC and they said they would check out my computer for free since I still have my 1 year warranty on it, so I'll be shipping it today or tomorrow.
                              I'll ask them what they found after they finish fixing it and report back to you guys! Thanks everyone for their help.

Thanks agian.

Comment

Working...
                              X