NewBIE P67 Extreme 4 Gen3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewBIE P67 Extreme 4 Gen3

First time I've ever purchased a decent/advanced motherboard and I have a noob question.
    Why is there two different sata chipsets on the board? I read over at crucial that I should make sure to use Intel for SSD drives. Does the Marvell have poor performance compared to Intel, is it ok to use for mechanical drives?

Thanks
    Dan

Re: NewBIE P67 Extreme 4 Gen3

You know, I've wondered about this as well. Is there any performance increase? Do Marvel controllers have to be installed in order to use those SATA ports?

I do know the Intel ports are default, and should be used for your OS as this is the SATA 3 port 0 marked on the board.

Comment

To install more than 2 sata_3 drives.
      It was also usefull (to me) when intels chipset had a problem with the sata_2 ports
      Marvell is fine for mechanical drives. Ive never tested ssd's on it.

Like in the manual.use 0 and 1 (intel) for your sata 3 drives. If you have more than 2 of those ,You have Marvel.
      also like in the manual dont enable Marvel drives bootable if you arent going to use them as such.

If you dont have any sata 3 drives at all u can use the 2 intal sata3 capable ports (backward compatible) and the sata 2 ports which are now "safe" to use once your mbrd is a b3 and above chipset revision.
      Last edited by kick; 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM.
      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
      http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Quick answer...The Intel SATA-3 ports and the SATA-2 ports are native to the P67 chipset whilst the add-on Marvel SATA-3 ports require driver install within windows hence why it's recommended that your OS drive be connected to the native Intel SATA-3 or SATA-2 ports. If your SSD is SATA-3 then you have 2 native Intel SATA-3 ports to choose from -recommend the port-0 one...

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
          the sata 2 ports which are now "safe" to use once your mbrd is a b3 and above chipset revision.
          What was the problem with the sata 2 ports and how do I know what revision I have of the chipset?

Thank you everyone for your assists!
          Dan

Comment

since yours is labelled gen 3 its more recent. The asrock p67b2 boards were only available from about jan-feb 2011.
            People who were buying in February like myself knew there was a possible problem but board manufacturers had already started to announce "exchange programs" swop yer board for the new b3 version for free.Asrock threw in an extra years guarantee if you swopped before June.
            The fixed chipset B3 revision boards came back on the market around march /early april with a B3-sata problem fixed! sticker on them.(it was some small mess up where a spec should have been like 1000 instead of 10000and could have led to your hdd becoming unreadable after continuous long term use.
            Newr ones again like from June onward may not even have this sticker on them as they probably want to forget it,Im sure intel does.
            Wouldnt be any problem with yours.
            Last edited by kick; 02-07-2012, 07:29 AM.
            Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
            Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
            Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
            8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
            60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
            GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
            Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
            http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
            X