GA-MA790FX-DS5 oh dear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA790FX-DS5 oh dear

So i got my GA-MA790FX-DS5 running with crossfire 5770s and it was all good with a furmark benchmark of around 145fps (up to 260pfs). I read somewhere that the cpu was a bit slow and would help if i overclocked it so off i went to bios... After changing cpu frequency,cpu nb multiplier and cpu clock ratio i dont even get to bios. I've tried tacking out the battery for 10 minutes to no avail. Oh dear. Have i bricked it?

GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Phenom X4 9650
    2x5770 (saphire&manli)
    ocz vertex 60gb ssd (os only)
    2xseagate 320gb hdd
    ocz 600w psu

Eventually got it going with 1 stick of ram instead of 4. Mental note:NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!

Could someone give me a few pointers on overclocking my cpu before i fry it please

Re: GA-MA790FX-DS5 oh dear

A bit of further inspection and it seems one of the ram slots no longer works. Any ideas?

Comment

Did you remove your CPU during all that hassle? If so, you might have bent one of the pins, or if you moved the board around you may have a short somewhere so check to be sure nothing is shorting anywhere.

Does this happen still if you load optimized defaults, then save/apply/reboot? If you do that, be sure you go back into the BIOS BEFORE windows and set your SATA settings back to what you normally use.

Comment

No i didn't remove the cpu at all. I don't think the board has moved. It was left bolted in.
        Yes i tried optimised defaults,save and reboot. I also tried the same thing with fail safe defaults.Neither worked

I'm starting to wonder why/what the problem was with it, as it was bought as Manufacturer refurbished. I cant see that anything i have done would have caused a ram slot to fail. What do you think?

Last edited by hsp25; 02-16-2012, 11:53 PM.

Comment

How do you mean no longer works? when you are trying to overclock or with defaults too?
          What memory do you use?
          If you can attach a CPU-Z text report(CPU-Z -> About tab -> Save Report (.TXT)) it would be the best.
          Last edited by Chike; 02-16-2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
            How do you mean no longer works? when you are trying to overclock or with defaults too?
            Meaning no longer works at all. I only tried to overclock once and since then, if i put ram in that slot it hangs. Black screen before any post or bios. I've tried swapping ram around and the slot is definitely the problem. I can use 3 out of 4 slot with no problems

Comment

Even if you install only one stick in that particular slot?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                Even if you install only one stick in that particular slot?
                Yes

Comment

And with other module too? I find it odd that OC attempt will cause such an issue.
                  Try to take the battery out and short CLR_CMOS pims for a few hours. Turn the PSU off or disconnect it from power and press the power button once, before you do.
                  If it doesn't solve the problem I would think you would like it RMAd first, if you choose not to we'll see ab
                  ut overclocking.
                  Are you with stock SPU cooler, if so you won't be able to overclock much, but maybe the north-bridge and get some better memory performance.

Comment

I think i see the problem. A couple of the memory slot pins have gotten out of the plastic (on board) I don't guess that will be covered by warranty?

Comment

I don't see a reason why not

Comment

I was going to upgrade cpu cooler but am not sure what will fit Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro CO CPU Cooler [AC-FRZER-13-CO] - $55.00 : PC Case Gear looks good but may be to high to fit in my case. I have to get out the measurin stick

Comment

Originally posted by hsp25 View Post
                          I think i see the problem. A couple of the memory slot pins have gotten out of the plastic (on board) I don't guess that will be covered by warranty?
                          What do you mean by this? Show us some pics of what you mean please, thanks. Overclocking, or failed overclock wont kill a ram slot, unless you possibly fried something in the CPU but you'd have to use obscene voltages to do that and I doubt that's what you did, right? A short could cause this, you may want to try running the board on a wooden table or cardboard box, OFF the motherboard tray, and see if you still have the issue. You maybe should also use the Stock AMD heatsink for this test too if you have it, in case the cooler you are using now is shorting something on the PCB.

Comment

Originally posted by hsp25 View Post
                            I was going to upgrade cpu cooler but am not sure what will fit Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro CO CPU Cooler [AC-FRZER-13-CO] - $55.00 : PC Case Gear looks good but may be to high to fit in my case. I have to get out the measurin stick
                            It may look good but cost too much for doing very little. Looks only matters in beauty contests.
                            There are much cheaper and better coolers, what case do you have (exact brand model, link to manufacturer site if possible.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                            Overclocking, or failed overclock wont kill a ram slot
                            Just a mechanical damage I belive as result of pulling the stick out.

Comment

That shouldn't be possible, that's why I asked to see an image, in case it's normal and just looks odd to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X