X79 Extreme 9 Unstable with Ripjaws Z Series 64GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X79 Extreme 9 Unstable with Ripjaws Z Series 64GB

I got the Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL kit for my ASRock X79 Extreme 9 motherboard with an Intel 3930k CPU.

I got this kit as the Extreme 9 is on the Qualified Motherboards List.
    G.SKILL-Products Link

I have the latest 2.0 BIOS for the motherboard.

I am not over clocking anything. All settings are at stock.

I was able to select the XMP 1.2 profile manually in the BIOS and it shows the RAM running at DDR3-1600 speed.

I’ve been running the system for about a month now and it is not stable. I do not get a BSOD screen, everything just locks up or freezes and I must power the system down and reboot.

I’ve had it lockup twice in one day but it has also run for as long as 2 or 3 days without a lockup.

I’ve run MemTest86+ 4 or 5 times overnight and it has not shown an error.

When I run Prime95 I get an error on one of the threads within 30-40 minutes or sometime it can take many hours even over night. I’ve only used the Blend test setting.

If I just use one DIMM in the first socket it seems to be stable and I’ve not gotten an errors in Prime95 yet but I did have a lockup. Any ideas?

Thanks.

System:
    Motherboard:____ASRock X79 Extreme9
    CPU:__________Intel 3930k 3.2GHz
    RAM:__________G.SKILL 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
    Video Card:_____MSI HD7970
    System Drive:___Samsung 512GB 830 Series SSD
    Data Drive:_____Hitachi 4TB
    Power Supply:___SeaSonic Platinum-1000W
    LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM GGC-H20L
    Last edited by Tanquen; 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM.

Re: X79 Extreme 9 Unstable with Ripjaws Z Series 64GB

Ok,

today I got my first freeze too^^

anything stuck, no bluescreen or anything.

I will try with Prime95 as soon as I have the time, for more than a few hours.

Asrock Extreme9 Intel [email protected], watercooled, 64GB G.Skill (F3-10666CL9Q2-64GBZL)
    128GB Crucial M4 Systemdrive

Comment

Yea, the lockups are totally random. I don’t have much on the system yet but everything I have running was on the old Windows 7 system and I never had a lock up on that system. With the new set up it can happen any time, just browsing the internet, playing a game or running VMware. I use VMware for all my work projects and I can’t have the system just randomly locking up.

I’m now going through each DIMM one at a time to see if there is a troublemaker. That is the hardest part, it can take a day or two or three to see a lockup and it takes so long to run memory test with all 8 DIMMs installed. Prime95 and the Intel Burn In Test are the only things that have shown an error but they can be random too. The one constant is since I started testing the DIMMs one at a time I’ve not seen a Prime95 error but I’m only on DIMM 2.

On a side note: Do you have any issues with the ASRock Game Blaster sound card? Mine makes a fairly loud pop when I turn on the PC and when I switch devices in the Jack Setup. I’m using the same speakers that I used with my old PC and old onboard audio never did this.
      Last edited by Tanquen; 03-31-2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

deinstalled the asrock sound card due

a) the sound was very bad in my ears. Reinstalled the Creative PCIe Fataliy
        b) using dual nic for teaming slowed down the system so I dont find a reason anymore to use the asrock soundcard

Comment

I’ve seen a few other reports that the sound is not good but nothing about why. If it did not pop I’d not be able to tell the difference between it and the old set up.

Comment

hm ok for me it was a BIG difference to my old soundcard.

I used the same Headset as before but sound level was very low, if I push the soundlevel higher, I got a

Rasping Sound :D
            The Sound was "unclear" even for hightone. And also for Bass.
            After I reinstalled my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional I feel a loooot better ;)

Comment

Thanks for the info. I don’t use a headset that much but when I do I connect to the front panel ports and it is too loud. The Logitech headset I use even has an inline volume control and I have to turn it way down.

Comment

Ok, I’ve been testing the DIMMs one at a time and with the first one I did see one lockup but no errors in MemTest86+ overnight and then Prime95 overnight. The second DIMM had no lockups and no errors in MemTest86+ or Prime95.

Now with the third DIMM I’m seeing something new. MemTest86+ overnight was ok but the next night Prime95 had an error about three hours in and then the PC rebooted an hour or so after that. So I ran Prime95 again last night and while there was no error in the Prime95 log the PC had rebooted again after about 5 hours. In all other cases thus far the PC has been locked up or frozen. I’m going to run Prime95 again tonight and see if it happens again.

Again, anyone have any insight into what may be the cause?

Comment

hi.

acutal my workstation has an uptime from over 3 days now
                  (normal using, downloaded some stuff and something else)

In ~24 hours, I can start a Prime95 memory burn test ;)

I will reply then with the results :)

Regards

Comment

Actual 4 Days and 22hours Uptime witheout problems.

last +12hours Prime95 test. looks fine till now :)

Comment

I’d say that yours is much more stable. Mine is crashing every night within 5 to 10 hours. I’m running one DIMM at a time and with Prime95 and I also have 3 instances of MemTest 4 so all the free memory is tested while Prime95 is running.
                      Last edited by Tanquen; 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I also had this problem, and it mysteriously just stopped. All I didt was remove all the dimms and try one by one, it still froze. Then I tried different "cheap" ram and it didnt freeze. I then tried to clean all the dimm slots as I thought maybe some dust got in there. After blowing clean all the dimm slots I then proceeded to check my ssd and then whent into windows and ran scan disk on all my drives on by one.

I rechecked all my power cables and sata cables (i have 21 drives and 3 ssd's in my case) and rebooted.

After doing all that it seems my system is now stable... really not sure what was causing it. Currently, my system has been stable and running 27/7 for just over 5 days :)
                        |[email protected]|AsrockExtreme9|16gigVengence|LianLiA 71|CustomTripleExternalWaterbox|HCP1200watt|3x27"|2x6990cfx|120gbVertex3+256gbSupertalentSSD|48Tb|G19|RAT9|Lo gitechZ5500|LogitechG35|

Comment

What RAM kit are you using?

Originally posted by Ram85 View Post
                          I also had this problem, and it mysteriously just stopped. All I didt was remove all the dimms and try one by one, it still froze. Then I tried different "cheap" ram and it didnt freeze. I then tried to clean all the dimm slots as I thought maybe some dust got in there. After blowing clean all the dimm slots I then proceeded to check my ssd and then whent into windows and ran scan disk on all my drives on by one.

I rechecked all my power cables and sata cables (i have 21 drives and 3 ssd's in my case) and rebooted.

After doing all that it seems my system is now stable... really not sure what was causing it. Currently, my system has been stable and running 27/7 for just over 5 days :)

Comment

its in my sig. Vengence 1600 mhz 16gh kit
                            |[email protected]|AsrockExtreme9|16gigVengence|LianLiA 71|CustomTripleExternalWaterbox|HCP1200watt|3x27"|2x6990cfx|120gbVertex3+256gbSupertalentSSD|48Tb|G19|RAT9|Lo gitechZ5500|LogitechG35|

Comment

I got a Kingston (KHX1600C9D3K8/32X) DDR3-1600 8x4GB kit to test with.

I also did a clean install of Windows 7 on a spare hard drive with no updates or drivers. I was worried that the SSD drive may have been causing/adding to the instability. I only installed the latest version of Prime95. With all 8 Kinston 4GB DIMMs installed I did a few overnight runs and one that went for 28 hours with no errors. I then put all 8 of the 8GB GSkill DIMMs in and I had two threads error within 30 minutes. I reset the BIOS each time only selecting the XMP profile.

I’m going to do the RMA now on the GSkill Kit. I hope it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X