Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68X UD3H B3 USB3 not working

Hello TT,

I finally got the 2500k+Gigabyte Z68X UD3H. Everything except the USB3 is not working.

I have a USB3 external hard drive (WD Passport) which works on USB2 ports but does not work on USB3 ports. Checked both front and back ports of the mobo and the cabinet. I have the Corsair Carbide 500R series if that helps. I installed the USB3 controller for the motherboard from the drivers DVD as well as their website without any luck. USB2 devices get detected and function normally on the USB3 ports but its just the USB3 devices that do not work. I also tried a USB3 flash drive, nogo. I can see the light flickering on the external drive, but windows fails to detect it.

I have checked the USB3 settings in BIOS - all enabled.
    The ports show up on device manager.
    Etron looks installed fine under device manager.
    Also updated BIOS to F11.

The Etron USB3 ports get detected without any problem but devices do not. Any help would be appreciated !!

Thanks,
    BTX

Re: Z68X UD3H B3 USB3 not working

Did you install the latest INF Chipset drivers too?

What USB stick are you using? I've heard of some issues with USB drives like you mention, due to incompatibilities with the internal controller or PCB inside the cases, so this could be what's going on but your USB thumb drive shouldn't have this issue.

For now, do all testing on the back of the motherboard directly. Have you tried uninstalling the Etron Drivers and reinstalling after a reboot? If not, try that and see if it helps. Also, did you verify your USB thumb drive works on USB2 as well, just checking as I see you mentioned testing the WD that way already.

Comment

I have USB3 WD passport and it works just fine on etron usb3 ports on my X58A-OC. This board only has external ports no internal usb3 ports. Which ports are you using?
      Main Rig
      Gigabyte z87x-OC
      Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
      G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
      Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
      Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
      HiS ATI HD 6950
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
      Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
      Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
      Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
      CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
      Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
      EK Supremacy Cpu Block
      Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
      Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Did you install the latest INF Chipset drivers too?

What USB stick are you using? I've heard of some issues with USB drives like you mention, due to incompatibilities with the internal controller or PCB inside the cases, so this could be what's going on but your USB thumb drive shouldn't have this issue.

For now, do all testing on the back of the motherboard directly. Have you tried uninstalling the Etron Drivers and reinstalling after a reboot? If not, try that and see if it helps. Also, did you verify your USB thumb drive works on USB2 as well, just checking as I see you mentioned testing the WD that way already.

Its a Corsair voyager usb3 stick. Yes, I did install the INF chipset without any luck. USB2 devices work perfectly fine, but usb3 devices dont even get detected. One good thing I noticed is that the WD hard drives spins and lights up when connected to the Usb3 port.

The Voyager works fine on a usb2 port but does not work on a usb3 port.
        Etron drivers have been reinstalled with the method you described, no luck.
        I also reinstalled the operating system (clean install).

@ Acebmxer:
        I've tried using all the ports including usb3. (F/B)

Comment

Hmm, very odd! Have you tried clearing the CMOS? If not, try that for a few minutes with the PSU switched off, then do the optimized dance in the BIOS once you start it again, then reboot back to BIOS and set your SATA settings again, then go to windows and try again.

If that does nor work, I know it will be a pain for you probably, but could you test out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray, just to be sure no shorts are causing this? It can't be the controller really, as it's two different controllers for the front and back I think, so I doubt both would be bad at once. How many graphics cards are you using? If two, remove one and see if that matters, as I know USB 3 and USB 3 turbo use some PCIE lanes shared with the graphics card slots.

Comment

Sure I will do what you mentioned and report back. Thanks for your time lsd :)

Comment

Anytime, hopefully we can help you sort this out! If a quick CMOS clear doesn't help, you might want to try an extended one before removing everything from the case. To do that swtich off or unplug the PSU, then press and hold the case power on button for one minute, then remove the CMOS battery and put a jumper or other short onto the Clear CMOS pins, then let it sit this way for 8+ hours. Then remove the short, put the battery back, switch on or connect the PSU and then enter the BIOS and load optimized, ect.

But ya go ahead and try a short clear first. You also never answered my questions about graphics cards, are you using more than one? If so, go to one and see if that helps, if so then maybe we can sort it out via settings.

Comment

try the 1.11 drivers, that seems to solve it... My Passport Essential with Gigabyte Motherboard us... - Western Digital Community
                - Z68X-UD3H-B3(rev 1.3), bios F12
                - I5-2500k [3148C059], cooled by scythe mugen2 rev.b with 1500rpm pwm-fan on cpufan header.
                - 8G(2x4G) Corsair Vengeance LP CML8GX3M2A1600C9W,Low profile/Low voltage, DDR1600/C9-1.35v. Slots 1&2.
                - 16G(4x4G) Samsung M378B5273DH0-CH9 1333 @ 2133-c11. w1.55v

- Seasonic M12D SS850-EM , 850W Semi-Modular PSU with 80A at 12V.
                - 2x EVGA GeForce GTX285-1GB in SLi, 4x 6pin power and bridge connected.[PCIEX_16 and PCIEX_8]
                - Hauppauge HVR2200 PCIE 1x tv-tuner card.[PCIEX1_3]
                - Intel controller in raid mode.
                - 2x WD 500G blacks in raid0 on intel port 0-1.
                - 1x WD 1000G black on intel port 2.
                - 1x OCZ Vertex2 (32nm) on intel port 3.
                - 1x Optiarc DVDRW on intel port 4.
                - 1x Samsung 500G on marvell port 0.
                - 24" LCD monitor @ Geforce 0, lower HDMI port.
                - 17" LCD monitor @ Geforce 0, upper HDMI port.
                - 19" LCD tv @ intel/onboard HDMI.
                - 4ch analoge speakers, cambridge dtt set.
                - internal spdif header connected to Geforce 0.
                - front usb connected.
                - front ac97 connected.
                - front cardreader (usb) connected.
                - rear 4x usb bracket.
                - ms media keyboard, ms comfort mouse. usb, wired.
                - w7x64-sp1.

Comment

Nice, thanks for the driver Darkje! Hope it helps him!

Comment

Anytime, hopefully we can help you sort this out! If a quick CMOS clear doesn't help, you might want to try an extended one before removing everything from the case. To do that swtich off or unplug the PSU, then press and hold the case power on button for one minute, then remove the CMOS battery and put a jumper or other short onto the Clear CMOS pins, then let it sit this way for 8+ hours. Then remove the short, put the battery back, switch on or connect the PSU and then enter the BIOS and load optimized, ect.

But ya go ahead and try a short clear first. You also never answered my questions about graphics cards, are you using more than one? If so, go to one and see if that helps, if so then maybe we can sort it out via settings.
                    Oh my bad, I didnt see that. I am using just one HD7770.

Thank you Darkje, will report back in a few mins with the driver you mentioned!

Btw, LSD, I tried with the short and the long method of clearing CMOS, didnt help either. Now, One of the two front ports have completely stopped working, although not because of the CMOS clearing but it happened when I manually tried installing the usb3 drivers with the .inf files. Lets see how it goes when I use the 1.11 version of the drivers Darkje provided. Also, I removed the motherboard to see if something is shorting, but its the same thing yet again.

Lastly, I am thinking of doing a clean install of Windows 7. Is there a specific method/order to install the USB3 ports/drivers?
                    Last edited by BackToXistence; 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BackToXistence View Post
                      Oh my bad, I didnt see that. I am using just one HD7770.

Thank you Darkje, will report back in a few mins with the driver you mentioned!

Btw, LSD, I tried with the short and the long method of clearing CMOS, didnt help either. Now, One of the two front ports have completely stopped working, although not because of the CMOS clearing but it happened when I manually tried installing the usb3 drivers with the .inf files. Lets see how it goes when I use the 1.11 version of the drivers Darkje provided. Also, I removed the motherboard to see if something is shorting, but its the same thing yet again.

Lastly, I am thinking of doing a clean install of Windows 7. Is there a specific method/order to install the USB3 ports/drivers?
                      Thanks for the reply on the graphics cards, just wanted to check on that because sometimes depending on BIOS settings you may loose turbo USB3 or need to disable something else to get it.

Clean windows install might help. How long have you been using this one anyway? I'd say install windows, then INF chipset, then all windows updates including optional .Net Framework, then USB 3.0 drivers. There shouldn't be any specific need to install in any certain order, but since you've been messing around various way you could have messed up the registry or the driver installs somehow, so a clean install might sort it out.

Comment

Thanks for the reply on the graphics cards, just wanted to check on that because sometimes depending on BIOS settings you may loose turbo USB3 or need to disable something else to get it.

Clean windows install might help. How long have you been using this one anyway? I'd say install windows, then INF chipset, then all windows updates including optional .Net Framework, then USB 3.0 drivers. There shouldn't be any specific need to install in any certain order, but since you've been messing around various way you could have messed up the registry or the driver installs somehow, so a clean install might sort it out.

I did a clean install with the order of installation you mentioned, no luck. I found a broken pin on the USB3 header on the motherboard and I am guessing that is the sole reason behind one of the front usb port not working.

Comment

Oh that could well be the problem then, any idea how it happened? Is there like a closed hole on the connector you plugged in?
                          - Z68X-UD3H-B3(rev 1.3), bios F12
                          - I5-2500k [3148C059], cooled by scythe mugen2 rev.b with 1500rpm pwm-fan on cpufan header.
                          - 8G(2x4G) Corsair Vengeance LP CML8GX3M2A1600C9W,Low profile/Low voltage, DDR1600/C9-1.35v. Slots 1&2.
                          - 16G(4x4G) Samsung M378B5273DH0-CH9 1333 @ 2133-c11. w1.55v

- Seasonic M12D SS850-EM , 850W Semi-Modular PSU with 80A at 12V.
                          - 2x EVGA GeForce GTX285-1GB in SLi, 4x 6pin power and bridge connected.[PCIEX_16 and PCIEX_8]
                          - Hauppauge HVR2200 PCIE 1x tv-tuner card.[PCIEX1_3]
                          - Intel controller in raid mode.
                          - 2x WD 500G blacks in raid0 on intel port 0-1.
                          - 1x WD 1000G black on intel port 2.
                          - 1x OCZ Vertex2 (32nm) on intel port 3.
                          - 1x Optiarc DVDRW on intel port 4.
                          - 1x Samsung 500G on marvell port 0.
                          - 24" LCD monitor @ Geforce 0, lower HDMI port.
                          - 17" LCD monitor @ Geforce 0, upper HDMI port.
                          - 19" LCD tv @ intel/onboard HDMI.
                          - 4ch analoge speakers, cambridge dtt set.
                          - internal spdif header connected to Geforce 0.
                          - front usb connected.
                          - front ac97 connected.
                          - front cardreader (usb) connected.
                          - rear 4x usb bracket.
                          - ms media keyboard, ms comfort mouse. usb, wired.
                          - w7x64-sp1.

Comment

Are you sure it's broken and not just a pin that isn't supposed to be there? I mean, USB 2 and 3 both have a missing pin in the connector port to begin with, did you mean an additional pin is broke or missing?

See here, is it this one that isn';t there to begin with, or another one missing plus this one? Just checking to be sure, sorry if you are already aware of all this

Comment

Are you sure it's broken and not just a pin that isn't supposed to be there? I mean, USB 2 and 3 both have a missing pin in the connector port to begin with, did you mean an additional pin is broke or missing?

See here, is it this one that isn';t there to begin with, or another one missing plus this one? Just checking to be sure, sorry if you are already aware of all this

Yup, I am dead sure one pin has been broken (Top row 2nd pin) since I had cleared it myself. Thanks for your effort LSD :)

Although just one port has stopped working, I dont think the other USB3 F/B ports would have a problem because of that broken pin. I got a make-shift USB2 hub (4 ports) and attached it to the surviving front usb3 port and using it as USB2 ports. :(

There is no sign of the super speed of the USB3 yet after so much troubleshooting. I hope its not a problem with the motherboard. If it is a problem then none of the USB2/3 ports would have worked. Just that I cannot make any USB3 devices work.

@ Darkje - It must have happened when I attached the USB3 plug to the header for the first time when assembling the system, might not have put it properly.
                              Last edited by BackToXistence; 04-05-2012, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X