Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z77X-UD5H: Boot loop after configuring RAID

Hello,

First time poster, trying to get help with why my Z77X-UD5H isn't being cooperative with me creating a RAID 5 array.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2550k (stock)
    MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H (Rev. 1.0)
    Boot HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 1TB disk.
    RAID HDD: 3x Seagate Barracuda 1TB disks.

Here is what has happened so far:

- Installed Windows, got my OS and all the drivers updated.
    - Rebooted, went into UEFI Advanced BIOS, and set SATA Mode Selection to RAID (it was AHCI).
    - Created a RAID volume with the other 3 disks that I had (all the same model/capacity), set the Strip size to 64 KB as per the BIOS's suggestion (in the help window at the bottom of the screen).
    - After exiting from the RAID configuration screen, the screen was black (it didn't go back to the BIOS, like when you Save/Exit the BIOS and your machine goes back and then boots your OS).
    - I did a hard reboot, Windows started to load....and then the boot loop kicks in at the Windows splash screen.

A few things I've tried:

- Turned off the Gigabyte splash screen. When booting, all I see is "American Megatrends", NOTHING on the black screen other than that, then it shows the brief (.5 seconds) RAID configuration (to hit CTRL + I to enter the utility), goes back to "American Megatrends" for a split second, then goes to Windows splash...then reboots and loops.

Because Windows doesn't load right, it WILL ask me (after the first reboot) if I would like to

- Startup Repair: Gives me the loading bar while it loads up the necessary files, then reboots.
    - Start Normally: Starts to display the Windows splash logo, but freezes/reboots just prior to entering Windows.

I've tried re-installing all of the drivers from Gigabyte's web site GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0).

I've tried doing a repair with my Windows 7 disk.

I've tried setting the SATA Mode Selection back to AHCI, but all it does then is boots normally, yet it only sees 3 drives and not the RAID volume.

According to my manual, here is the setup for which drives are plugged into what SATA ports:

Neither of these drives are actual SATA3 drives, at least I didn't see anything on the box about it. But SATA3 is backwards compatible so that shouldn't be an issue, right?

DVD: SATA3 port 0
    Boot HDD: SATA3 port 1

These are the drives that I want to use for RAID:

HDD #1: SATA2 port 2
    HDD #2: SATA2 port 3
    HDD #3: SATA2 port 4

According to the manual, those SATA2 ports support RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10.

Should I be connecting them somewhere else? Or could I be installing the drivers wrong? As far as I could tell, it was just a "extract from compressed file that was downloaded, run the setup as administrator, reboot when asked, done".

This is becoming a pain to set up. I would have just bought and crammed a 3TB drive in there for storage, but I've had too many disks end up with errors in the past to trust all of my data to just one.

Please help?

- Neb

Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H: Boot loop after configuring RAID

Windpws crash because you don't have the driver enabled/installed.
    If you knew you are going to have a RAID you should have installed windows with SATA set to RAID.
    You may still resolve the situation moving your boot drive to the marvel conroller(as it is configured now) and install the drivers in windows, and then move the system drive back to the intel ports. Do this without the RAID drives and build it again later.
    As for the RAID, I do not know about the untel conroller, but RAID 5 must be built, or at least a portion of it must be built before it can be used so maybe you shouldn't have force reboot. Consult the manual.

Comment

Chike,

Thank you for responding. I'm not too savvy on motherboards and the various chipsets (the whole "Marvell" thing, as well as whatever GSATA and mSATA are for, are completely new to me). I'm not sure what the difference between each of these chipsets are.

Optical Drive is on SATA3_0, Boot drive is on SATA3_1 (Intel Z77 chipset)
      3x HDD planned for RAID 5 are on SATA_2, SATA_3, and SATA_4 (Intel Z77 chipset).

Just so I understand correctly:
      - Move the boot drive to SATA_6 (on Marvell).
      - Re-install the RAID drivers (for both Intel and Marvell, I assume?)
      - Move the boot drive back to SATA_1.
      - Boot into RAID configurator, re-create the RAID volume.
      - Attempt to boot back into Windows.

BTW, the manual says nothing after the creation of the boot drive. Is it normal to have to wait a while at a black screen with no input, as it "builds" the RAID array? I've never done this before, so I had no clue (and it didn't indicate so in the manual).
      Quoted from the bottom of page 87: "To exit the RAID BIOS utility, press <esc> or select 5. Exit in MAIN MENU. Now, you can proceed to install the SATA RAID/AHCI driver and operating system".

I hadn't heard anything about installing the OS after the RAID setup until this point in time. Is this always the course of action when implementing RAID? Even in production environments for businesses, or machines that have been built for a good, long time (enough to make a reinstall a "pain in the butt")? I'll try your recommendations and post back (assuming I don't have to wipe the boot drive...in which case I'll have to spend another hour on the phone with MS to activate my Windows key).</esc>
      Last edited by Nebulocity; 04-22-2012, 05:20 AM.

Comment

If you install windows in all controllers set to AHCI you have to stay with AHCI. Like Chike said if you knew you were setting up raid before installing windows you should have setup up the raid before hand and left it set to raid.

Since you already have windows installed in AHCI mode you will need to do a couple of registry changes before you can switch to use Raid. Here are the changes you will need to make.

Code:
        Go into the registry using regedit and change each of the "start" values in the registry keys below from 3 to 0 and this will allow you to change between the different modes by just changing the option in your bios each time you reboot.
        You may only see iaStorev and not iaStor or vise versa this is ok set either or both to 0.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\pciide

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\msahci

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStor
        Connect your drives in the following order. Sata3_0 boot drive (intel) Sata3_1 Optical drive (intel) Sata2_0-2 connect your hdds or raid 5. (intel)

Only use the intel ports if you can try to avoid the marvell ports.
        Main Rig
        Gigabyte z87x-OC
        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
        HiS ATI HD 6950
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Yes GSATA 6/7/8 is the marvel chip, you can try the changes that Acebmxer posted instead.

I did not said you had to set the RAID before installing the OS Nut had SATA in RAID mode (wihthout creating RAID) before installing it. You ,ay also need to install the pre-install drivers during the setup process if you did.

Comment

Not 100% certain on this yet, but I know on X79 you can't just switch back and forth anymore, at least not with the old known methods.

You'll probably need to do a clean install, in RAID mode, and then connect and build the RAID array after the OS install via control + I at Intel AHCI/RAID screen during bootup.

It's it's own BIOS kind of thing you enter to build the array, and no it wont sit at a black screen. You may be able to move the current OS to the Marvell port as mentioned above, do it like this. On the Intel ports as you are now, install the Marvell drivers and tray (Full package). Then move to the Marvell ports in AHCI/RAID mode, then set the BIOS to RAID for the Intel and Marvell and boot to the OS. Then install the Intel RAID drivers and reboot back to the OS still on Marvell ports. Then shut down and move the OS drive over to the Intel port SATA3_0, all other drives to follow sequentially with CD/DVD on the LAST Intel port.

If that does not allow you to boot, or fails to allow you to install the Intel drivers, you will need to do a clean install with the Intel RAID drivers on the Intel ports (OS on SATA3_0), CD/DVD always last port. The manual does show how to build arrays on both controllers, and you can either build the array post install or before - that does not matter, what does matter is that you have the controller you are wanting to have a RAID on set to RAID before you install the OS.

Comment

LSD X79 cant do the reg edits to switch back and forth from ACHI and raid?
              Main Rig
              Gigabyte z87x-OC
              G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
              HiS ATI HD 6950
              CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
              Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
              EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

If that fails I'd go and try the methid I suggested before re-installing in RAID mode, The drivers for the marvel should be already installed, and if not can be installed before connecting the system disk to the marvel port.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  Not 100% certain on this yet, but I know on X79 you can't just switch back and forth anymore, at least not with the old known methods.

You'll probably need to do a clean install, in RAID mode, and then connect and build the RAID array after the OS install via control + I at Intel AHCI/RAID screen during bootup.

It's it's own BIOS kind of thing you enter to build the array, and no it wont sit at a black screen. You may be able to move the current OS to the Marvell port as mentioned above, do it like this. On the Intel ports as you are now, install the Marvell drivers and tray (Full package). Then move to the Marvell ports in AHCI/RAID mode, then set the BIOS to RAID for the Intel and Marvell and boot to the OS. Then install the Intel RAID drivers and reboot back to the OS still on Marvell ports. Then shut down and move the OS drive over to the Intel port SATA3_0, all other drives to follow sequentially with CD/DVD on the LAST Intel port.

If that does not allow you to boot, or fails to allow you to install the Intel drivers, you will need to do a clean install with the Intel RAID drivers on the Intel ports (OS on SATA3_0), CD/DVD always last port. The manual does show how to build arrays on both controllers, and you can either build the array post install or before - that does not matter, what does matter is that you have the controller you are wanting to have a RAID on set to RAID before you install the OS.
                  ^^ this ,just do do a clean install and get it over with (do it right this time )
                  i7 [email protected] GA-Z77X-UD5H
                  8Gb Team Xtreem TXD38192M2400HC9NDC-L

KingstonHyperX/1TB Hitachi/ADATA cache
                  GTX570(972/2300)Corsair HX850W,
                  Lite-On 24X,Win 7X64bit,TT Spedo

Comment

Originally posted by coolhand411 View Post
                    ^^ this ,just do do a clean install and get it over with (do it right this time )
                    Truer words have never been spoken by the community

I tried doing the Controller Dance of Doom, to no affect. I set the SATA Mode Selection to RAID (loaded the "Preinstall" drivers for Intel and Marvell on the USB drive that came with my PSU), and installed those during the Windows installation.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology shows all of my 1 TB disks of 932 GB disks...which is a bit shady. Is this "normal" to have that much not showing up per disk? I thought it may be something to do with the RAID's parity/strip storage location, but my boot drive is only showing 932 GB as well. In the past, of course I've seen capacity loss...just not 68 GB from each 1 TB disk...seems a bit much. Thoughts?

My last question (hopefully), is this:

In Windows Disk Management, I see the 1.8 TB RAID volume. It's unallocated, of course, but when I right-click it to format the drive, I get these options:

• New Simple Volume
                    • New Spanned Volume
                    • New Striped Volume
                    • New Mirrored Volume
                    • New RAID 5 Volume (greyed out)

Since I already have the RAID 5 volume created, which of these should I select? RAID 5 isn't mirrored, it's striped with parity...but Windows wouldn't know about that, right? Since it's controlled by the motherboard's chipset rather than Windows "Dynamic Disk" version of RAID?

I don't want to format/create a volume that's the wrong type and screw things up, and I don't want to "double up" with hardware RAID and software RAID.

Thanks everyone!

(also, as to the "why didn't I do this before installing" - I didn't know, honestly. I didn't plan on setting up RAID until I realized I had a bunch of drives to stash in the NZXT Switch 810 case I bought, and figured "what the hell, might as well").

Lesson = learned!

Comment

Also:

Would this have helped at all?

GIGABYTE Tech Daily: Gigabyte launches Disk Mode Switch utility
                      GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Utility - Motherboard

It was released on 3/13/2012, with the following notes:
                      (Note) Support GIGABYTE Z77/H77/B75/Z68/P67/H67/H61 series motherboards.(support may vary by model)

I haven't tried running it (I'm going to try to look for a decent disk imaging software first to clone my system drive first), but would this have been the same thing as changing the registry (which I did, and was unable to benefit from it - no big deal).

Just curious ;-)

Comment

when formatting the drive in windows with disk management you want to choose simple volume.
                        Main Rig
                        Gigabyte z87x-OC
                        HiS ATI HD 6950
                        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                        EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Thank you very much, Acebmxer! Off to go click-y some buttons!

Comment

Intel Rapid Storage Technology shows all of my 1 TB disks of 932 GB disks...which is a bit shady. Is this "normal" to have that much not showing up per disk? I thought it may be something to do with the RAID's parity/strip storage location, but my boot drive is only showing 932 GB as well. In the past, of course I've seen capacity loss...just not 68 GB from each 1 TB disk...seems a bit much. Thoughts?
                            Don't worry be happy, this is normal.
                            The lost or missing memory is because of the way manufacturers rate the drive's capacity.
                            1 TB of rated space is one trillion "real" bytes, i.e. 1000 x 1000 x 1000.

1MB = 1024 x 1024 (1,048,576), so a 1MB rated drive would appear to "lose" about 4.9% of its rated capacity.
                            1024 x 1024 x 1024 = ~ 1.074 GB.
                            This means that it appears that you "lose" about 7.4% of space when drive capacity is rated in gigabytes.

My SSD is rated at 60GB and software reports that I have 55.8GB of drive capacity.
                            A web search using: missing disk space will provide more details.
                            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thanks for explaining that ;-) I actually already knew the conversions for "real" memory ratings (something I needed to do back in the 8086 Assembly language programming days), I just forgot to mention it. I assumed it was due to the striping/parity....just seemed like a bit much. Ahh well ;-) I'm happily up and running and waiting for my Dropbox account to sync up!

Thank you all very much for your help!

The kids are now threatening to throw the new PC in the swimming pool unless I give them the promised ice cream sandwiches...from an hour ago (good thing they're still in the freezer)!

Cheers,

Neb

Comment

Working...
                              X