Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMotherboard won't detect graphics card

Hi All, I hope you ca help me :)

I just received all my parts for a new build.

I got this motherboard
    hardwareversand.de - Artikel-Information - ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX

and this graphics card
    hardwareversand.de - Artikel-Information - Club 3D Radeon HD 7750, 1024MB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7750, PCI- Express

from the start this card is not being detected my the motherboard.

I've tested the graphic card in my old PC and when the PC started it was detected and i installed the drivers.

I tried my old card in my new build and it was not detected.

I've made sure that the fan is turning on the graphics card in the new PC. So there is power getting to it.

I've tried to turn off anboard graphics via the bios ... but it was already set to PCI express.

I'm a little out of ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?
    Last edited by David Stokes; 05-03-2012, 06:25 AM.

Re: NMotherboard won't detect graphics card

I am having a similar problem with a z77 extreme4-m board and a 6970 GPU. The board makes 5 short beeps at post (I assume this has something to do with the VGA card, but couldn't find anything on this specific beep code).
    If I take the GPU out and use the on board hdmi, it still makes the 5 beeps, but it does boot up and display to the monitor. If I have the GPU in, it makes the 5 beeps and nothing displays, whether connected to the on board hdmi port or the PCI-E GPU's DVI or HDMI ports. Quite frustrating.
    I am new to diagnosing motherboard problems, but I have taken it out of the case to make sure it wasn't a grounding issue. Any suggestions before I send for an RMA?

Comment

Use the forum's Advanced Search feature in the upper right portion of the web page.
      Type detect in the Keyword(s) section and select Search Titles Only to the right of the Keywords field.
      Press Search Now.

This is a frequent problem and there are replies in some of the threads that should help.
      Let us know which additional steps that you try and if any of the suggestions help.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

i've done a search.

When i've tried is the following

I tried the card in my old PC and when it boots up it see the new card and wants to install the drivers.

I tried updating both the cards and the motherboards drivers.

I did a reset CMOS - I know it worked but I'm not sure what settings I was to select in the bio before starting / rebooted the PC. I didn't make any changes.. But it didn't work either.

The card is powering as the fan is spinning.

Also to note.. When have one of the monitors plugged out you get that thing on the screen saying no signal.. check your connection.. When i plug it into the graphics card it goes. There screen is still blank.. but it is detecting it.

Whats next ?

Comment

Always have your system powered off and remove the power supply cable from the wall outlet or the back of the power supply before you add or remove any hardware.

Confirm that PCI Express is the setting for your primary graphics adapter, not PCI.
          Primary Graphics Adapter
          This allows you to select [Onboard], [PCI] or [PCI Express] as the boot
          graphic adapter priority. The default value is [PCI Express].
          What is the model number of your old video card? Is it a pci-e card? pci card?

You might need to very carefully clean the motherboard's pci-e electrical contacts.
          To do this, use a lint-free cloth that is slightly damp with 91% pure rubbing alcohol, or denatured alcohol.

What is the model number of your cpu?
          What bios version is installed?
          If you have an Ivy Bridge cpu, you will need to download and install bios and drivers from the Beta Zone link on the web page for your motherboard.

Does your system boot and run using the integrated graphics with your video card removed?
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Thank you for your reply and help.

I find it a disgrace that a person would have to go through all this just to get a brand new product to work.

I know you didn't make it . But i'm just a normal guy, I don't have cleaning products to clean motherboard connections.

I'll try answer your questions.

What is the model number of your old video card? Is it a pci-e card? pci card?
            I checked it's set to PCI-E

You might need to very carefully clean the motherboard's pci-e electrical contacts.
            To do this, use a lint-free cloth that is slightly damp with 91% pure rubbing alcohol, or denatured alcohol.
            I've none of these things. 91% ?

What is the model number of your cpu?
            I got this CPUhttp://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41224&agid=1617 - So i think it's a core i5 2500K model.

What bios version is installed?
            How do i check this ?

If you have an Ivy Bridge cpu, you will need to download and install bios and drivers from the
            Beta Zone link on the web page for your motherboard.
            Not sure what I have. I thought it was Sandy Bridge. But I might be wrong.

Does your system boot and run using the integrated graphics with your video card removed?

I've not tried this yet. But it does run with in installed. I will try it and report back

Again thank you for your help.

I just get frustrated at this as it should work.

Comment

Of course it should just work.....
              Often times everything comes together and works fine, but it's a royal PITA when problems arise.
              Your 2500K cpu is a Sandy Bridge, so you shouldn't need any any of the beta-zone downloads.

When there are problems, it's best to keep things as simple as possible.
              I always build new systems with the motherboard placed on a cardboard box beside the computer case.
              Some problems are due to a short circuit between the motherboard and the computer case.
              You should try to get your system running with a minimal amount of hardware:
              • one or two memory modules
              • keyboard
              • mouse
              • monitor connected to the integrated graphics port

Your initial goal is to be able to boot into the bios.
              You don't need an optical drive, hard drive or ssd until you're ready to install the operating system.

With your motherboard outside of the computer case, be very careful that you don't move wires or cables while your system is powered on.
              Be sure to take the proper steps to avoid electrostatic discharge so that you don't damage any components.

91% pure rubbing alcohol is an excellent cleaner that evaporates very quickly and leaves virtually no residue.
              It's also VERY FLAMMABLE!
              Sometimes there can be some leftover residue on hardware electrical connectors on the motherboard, memory, graphics card, etc.

Once you can get into the bios, you should be able to find the bios version without much trouble.
              It's important that you understand all the steps in the motherboard user manual for assembling your hardware.

Even if there is a problem getting the video card to work, you should be able to install the operating system and verify that everything else is working.

From the testing you've done, it looks like problem is with your motherboard or bios. We'll get to this shortly.

Any questions?

Comment

Just thought i'd add the PC is working fine, I'm using it now to work and type this message. I'm using the onboard graphics on the motherboard.

The only problem i'm having it the graphics card.

Comment

Check the current bios version number.
                  The most recent non-beta version is 1.20.
                  It's possible that you might need a special bios version to get your video card working.

It will speed things up quite a bit if you create a hardware list in your forum signature or use the PC Specs option.
                  This will cut down on errors and avoid confusion with similar systems in other threads.
                  The PC Specs section is at the bottom of the page where you edit your forum profile.
                  http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile is a shortcut to let you create or modify your PC Specs.

Comment

Working...
                  X