X58A-UD3r rev 2: unable to see eSata device; JMicron drivers installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58A-UD3r rev 2: unable to see eSata device; JMicron drivers installed

I have a PC containing a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2 motherboard running Windows 7 Professional X-64. I have recently upgraded one of the internal disk drives to a Crucial 128Gb SSD and as part of the upgrade I reinstalled Windows 7. I also updated the Bios to the current one on the GB site (version FH).

The ports I am using are:

Intel Port 1: SSD
    Intel Port 2: Data drive (1Tb Maxtor Sata II drive)
    Intel Port 3: Other data drive (for backup) (2Tb WD Sata II drive)
    Marvell Port 1: DVD/RW Drive
    Marvall Port 2: DVD/RW Drive

(I installed the two DVD drives on the Marvell Ports as these were not recommended for the SSD by other posters on this forum, and because the first time I tried to use a drive connected to one of the rear eSata ports it was not seen by the PC, and I moved the DVD drives to the Marvell ports in case having 5 devices on the internal Intel Sata ports was the cause of the problem - which it probably wasn't).

I installed the latest drivers and chipset from the GB site.

I have set the Intel SATA ports to AHCI, but left the other ports, including the GSata ports, as IDE.

I am trying to connect to a external Sata drive which is located in a Sharkoon data caddy and connected by an eSata cable. The caddy is externally powered.

Before I upgraded to the SSD and reinstalled Windows, I was able to see the external drive without problem.

When I first encountered the problem, I searched the web and found that I hadn't installed the JMicron drivers (as I didn't see them on the GB website). So I downloaded the latest drivers (JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.63_WHQL_eSATA) from the JMicron website and installed them.

I am still unable to see the external drive.

I have tried booting up my PC with both the external drive switched on, or switched off and then switched on after the boot has completed - I was unable to see the external drive.

I have checked the Device Manager and I can see that there are two JMicron JMB36X Controllers listed under Storage Controllers. Both devices are supposed to be working properly.

With the external caddy/drive switched on I scanned for new hardware - none was found.

Also during the boot sequence, and with the external caddy/drive switched on, I can only see the 3 internal drives (1 SSD and 2 HDD) listed.

Can anybody else advise what I might try?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Re: X58A-UD3r rev 2: unable to see eSata device; JMicron drivers installed

Problem solved!
    Believe it or not it turns out to have been a broken eSata cable. It must have become broken somehow when I was putting in the new SSD. A different eSata cable solved the problem and all now appears to be working.

Comment

Working...
    X