• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A SLight Problem: No Free Resources

Hi folks,

I had the following setup:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    Video Cards: 2 x MSI AMD Radeon 6950 2GB in CrossFireX
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X
    SSD: Crucial C300 64GB
    Hard Drives: 3 x Samsung F3 1TB in R.A.I.D. 5
    PSU: Antec Signature 850W

A failing hard drive on another computer persuaded me to buy a Crucial M4 256GB SSD to swap with the C300 64GB SSD in the above PC with the intention of changing the failing hard drive for the C300. Whilst ordering the M4, my hand slipped and also ordered 2 x nVidia GTX 670 2GB cards to replace the CrossFireX setup above.

Before installing Windows onto the new M4, I decided to update the BIOS to the latest version as I was running a Beta version, as my USB keyboard did not work in the BIOS. The BIOS flash worked and I was using the swanky new BIOS with my USB keyboard. I was able to install Windows and started to install drivers etc., when i noticed that one of the GTX 670s had a yellow exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager, and upon further investigation I discovered the following message "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)". Furthermore, after installing drivers for the HD3000 graphics found in the CPU, the PC would hang at the 'Starting Windows' and sometimes develop a BSOD.

As I did not have a SLi bridge at the initial installation, I wondered if this was the cause, and so removed the second GTX 670. Windows was able to boot normally, and there was no problem with Device Manager.

I located my SLi bridge and re-installed the second card, same problem re-merges, so it's not that.

I then reinstalled the C300 and CrossFireX setup, and there is no problem in Device Manager.

I tried installing Windows 8, but this was unable to install, I then tested my memory with Memtest86+ and have since found that one of my modules fails. I've now removed this module.

I've tried moving the sound card to another slot, but this seems to cause further problems, so it's back in it's slot. I then reinstalled Windows 7 and somehow managed to screw up the R.A.I.D. array this time!

So, I reinstalled Windows again, rebuilt the R.A.I.D. array, but disabled the HD3000 graphics in the BIOS. I still get the message "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)" for one of the GTX 670s.

I suspect it's the BIOS, but wondered if there was anything that you peeps could suggest....
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @3.4Ghz
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 with BIOS L2.22A
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB)
    Graphics Card: MSI nVidia GTX 670 2GB x 2 (Model number: N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC )
    Power Supply: Antec Signature 850W
    Solid State Disk: Crucial M4 256GB
    Hard Drives: 3 x Samsung F3 1TB (In R.A.I.D. 5)
    Case: Fractal Design Define XL

Operating System: 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium

Re: A SLight Problem: No Free Resources

A little bit of progress (or not!) on this tonight.

I read (specifically here: http://forums.tweakt...t-3way-sli.html ) that populating Slots 1, 4 and 6 somehow causes the card in slot not to work. The GTX 670s are in slot 1 and 4 while the sound card is in slot 6, I had the same configuration when I had my CrossFireX setup, but this was fine.

I removed the sound card and placed it in slot 5, the PCI bus the GTX 670 was trying to access changed from 6 to 4 but still came up with the same error message.

I then removed the sound card completely, and moved the 2nd GTX 670 from slot 4 to 5, and booted into Windows (I also removed the SLi bridge as the gap is too big to use it). This time, no error messages in Device Manager, but it was using a generic vga driver. I updated the driver, and it now recognises it correctly and appears in nVidias control panel. I could use this for PhysX if I so desired.

I then moved the 2nd GTX 670 back to slot 4, but left the sound card out and the SLi bridge, but to no avail, the error message has returned!

Comment

Try testing with a different SLI bridge.
      Which Nvidia driver versions are you using?
      You might need to test with a slightly older WHQL version or with a newer beta version.
      You can also try swapping the positions of the GTX 670 cards.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
        Try testing with a different SLI bridge.
        Which Nvidia driver versions are you using?
        You might need to test with a slightly older WHQL version or with a newer beta version.
        You can also try swapping the positions of the GTX 670 cards.

I can try the 3-way SLi bridge that I have, but I'm unable to do this until Monday. I'm using the release drivers for the GTX 670 downloaded from nVidias website: 301.42. At the time of writing, I can see no newer Beta version, and I'm not sure an older version would support my cards. I'm not convinced it's a driver or SLi bridge issue, as when I moved the second GTX 670 from slot 4 to slot 5, the system is able to detect and install both cards perfectly. It's only when a card is placed in slot 4, that the error message appears. It also occurs before I install any drivers for motherboard, graphics cards or sound card.

I have tried both cards in slot 1 and both cards in slot 4, the same problem occurs. So far, the only time that I do not get this message is when I had one card in slot 1, and 1 card in slot 5. Due to the distance between these slots, I am not able to use my SLi bridge in this configuration, and as Slot 5 is only a 16PCI-e x4 slot anyway, I'm guessing I wouldn't get the full benefit of SLi.

Comment

Same problem here with dual GTX670's. Both of the 670 alone will work in either slot 1 or 4 but not installed in SLI. Re-installed my GTX580 in slots 1 and 4 with no problems.

Comment

It will be MUCH MORE USEFUL if posters include a detailed hardware list in PC Specs or your forum signature.
            Right now we don't know if the problem is with GTX 670 video cards or only with specific brands and/or models.
            From what I've seen in other ASRock threads, there's a chance that the problems can be fixed with a newer bios that deals with this issue.

Posting your hardware settings in only one post makes it a PITA to find the information.

I don't have the time or patience to go scrolling back through a thread to double check the hardware details for each poster.
            Many of us are helping out in many threads at one time where some threads have somewhat similar hardware setups.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by pjrs View Post
              Same problem here with dual GTX670's. Both of the 670 alone will work in either slot 1 or 4 but not installed in SLI. Re-installed my GTX580 in slots 1 and 4 with no problems.
              Do you have the make of your GTX 670s? Also, what BIOS version are you using? For reference, I upgraded from 1.32 to 2.10.

Originally posted by profJim View Post
              It will be MUCH MORE USEFUL if posters include a detailed hardware list in PC Specs or your forum signature.
              Right now we don't know if the problem is with GTX 670 video cards or only with specific brands and/or models.
              From what I've seen in other ASRock threads, there's a chance that the problems can be fixed with a newer bios that deals with this issue.

Posting your hardware settings in only one post makes it a PITA to find the information.

I don't have the time or patience to go scrolling back through a thread to double check the hardware details for each poster.
              Many of us are helping out in many threads at one time where some threads have somewhat similar hardware setups.
              Done.

Comment

Hopefully, this will show my updated signature....

Comment

I have Evga 670 SC 4GB model. I upgraded my extreme7 gen bios to 2.10.

Comment

So, it looks like it's not specific to MSI cards then or indeed the 2GB version.

Did you update the BIOS before trying the GTX 670s? Or, did you have the same problem with an older BIOS?

Looks like we might have to wait until ASRock releases a new BIOS.... :(

Comment

Yes I had already updated the bios to 2.10 before installing the 670's. Saw a post at Overclock.net where a user was trying to install 680's in and had the same problem. He said that Asrock provided him with an updated bios 2.22A and that seemed to solve the problem. Unfortunately I cannot locate this bios online. Support ticket in to Asrock. Let's seen if they give me the updated bios.

Comment

That's good news, at least they're aware of, and are attempting to fix the problem. You'll have to let us know how you get on!

Comment

The user at Overclock.net emailed me the beta bios and appears to have fixed the resource problems and both cards are enabled. I can now enabled SLI. Slightly higher vcore temps with this bios but I'll have to adjust the offset voltage. If you want the bios I can email it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by pjrs View Post
                            The user at Overclock.net emailed me the beta bios and appears to have fixed the resource problems and both cards are enabled. I can now enabled SLI. Slightly higher vcore temps with this bios but I'll have to adjust the offset voltage. If you want the bios I can email it to you.
                            That would be great if you could. Thanks!

EDIT: Have pm'd you
                            Last edited by Coelicolour; 06-19-2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Exact same problem here too. I'm running a pair of MSI 680's which were going great until the BIOS update. Single card is fine but both together results in the no free resources error. I'd also love to get my hands on the 2.22A update if possible.

TIA.

Comment

Working...
                              X