Windows 7 pro 64bit slooow boot with new MOB and CPU.. slower than old ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 pro 64bit slooow boot with new MOB and CPU.. slower than old ones

Hi I have just upgraded my motherboard and cpu to gigabyte z77x-ud5 and the cpu to i7 3770k.
    My old board was foxconn 67h and i5 2400.
    the issue i have is it takes ages to boot! it was initially taking 2:40 (timed with stopwatch) so i removed a different type of ram from the mob so i only had one type in there. crosshair 1600mhz 8gb 2 sticks.
    That shaved 40 seconds or so off.. it take2 min plus or mins 10 secs.

I have upgraded all the drivers, done 3 fresh installs, replaced the MOB and CPU with vender.. and still the same issue. ..

Is anyone having the same issue or know what might be causing the problem..

My hard drive is a seagate 500gb 16mb cache 7200 6GB's.

lost for words on this one.. help!

Thanks

Daniel

Re: Windows 7 pro 64bit slooow boot with new MOB and CPU.. slower than old ones

After flashing the bios to F8, did you reboot and immediately enter the bios to load optimized bios settings?
    A web search using: windows 7 boot log should help you find the problem by using the windows boot log.
    What is the name of the motherboard sata port that your boot drive is connected to?

Did you do a fresh windows install on your hard drive?
    Last edited by profJim; 07-15-2012, 07:20 AM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

do you have quick boot option in the bios?

my board takes over one minute with a mechanical hdd,takes 13-15 seconds with an ssd
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by djgriff View Post
        Hi I have just upgraded my motherboard and cpu to gigabyte z77x-ud5 and the cpu to i7 3770k.
        My old board was foxconn 67h and i5 2400.
        the issue i have is it takes ages to boot! it was initially taking 2:40 (timed with stopwatch) so i removed a different type of ram from the mob so i only had one type in there. crosshair 1600mhz 8gb 2 sticks.
        That shaved 40 seconds or so off.. it take2 min plus or mins 10 secs.

I have upgraded all the drivers, done 3 fresh installs, replaced the MOB and CPU with vender.. and still the same issue. ..

Is anyone having the same issue or know what might be causing the problem..

My hard drive is a seagate 500gb 16mb cache 7200 6GB's.

lost for words on this one.. help!

Thanks

Daniel

Upgrading drivers will not do anything, gig has the newest Intel INF driver posted for your MOBO, so there is no upgrading there.

Can't see you putting the drive on the Marvell or any drive on it actually, so no need to worry about those drivers.

Two sticks are ok, seeing how this board only had dual channel memory.

Your seagate Sata 2 drive, is slow. You don't have to post it's Sata 3, this is only interface, this drive can even break half of Sata 2 speeds.

Are you counting the BIOS boot, this has nothing to do with windows boot.

Gig's are slow because of their DMI pool, verifying data, even with quick boot, these boards run through DMI slow.

Did you format the HDD or erase it, formatting is not erasing a drive, the drive is already NTFS, formatting from NTFS to NTFS just because windows has this option
        in the install is useless.

You don't format a HDD for a fresh install, you erase it. (zero write ) with their utility or any other tool.

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
          Upgrading drivers will not do anything, gig has the newest Intel INF driver posted for your MOBO, so there is no upgrading there.

Can't see you putting the drive on the Marvell or any drive on it actually, so no need to worry about those drivers.

Two sticks are ok, seeing how this board only had dual channel memory.

Your seagate Sata 2 drive, is slow. You don't have to post it's Sata 3, this is only interface, this drive can even break half of Sata 2 speeds.

Are you counting the BIOS boot, this has nothing to do with windows boot.

Gig's are slow because of their DMI pool, verifying data, even with quick boot, these boards run through DMI slow.

Did you format the HDD or erase it, formatting is not erasing a drive, the drive is already NTFS, formatting from NTFS to NTFS just because windows has this option
          in the install is useless.

You don't format a HDD for a fresh install, you erase it. (zero write ) with their utility or any other tool.

Hi and thanks for the replies..

I am counting from the moment i touch the power button. It doesn't take too long to get to the windows screen(4 colours then hangs for a while then goes to the blues screen.. normally when you would enter the username password.. then goes black and hangs then goes through to the main loaded windows.. taking like i said about 2 minutes or so.

I have done a clean install deleting all partitions including the system partition, then formatted the drive.

I have also gone to msconfig and changed the boots to 3 instead of 30, give windows the use of all 8 cores, full 8gb ram.. but still slow as heck..

I am not aware if the MOB has fast startup or not and will look into it shortly.

I have loaded optimised setting to no change what so ever..

could this be a faulty drive?

I have the hard drive on sata 0 and dvd on sata5.

maybe i will have to get a SSD..

don't quite understand why it takes so long though..

Thanks

Daniel

Comment

I am counting from the moment i touch the power button. It doesn't take too long to get to the windows screen(4 colours then hangs for a while then goes to the blues screen.. normally when you would enter the username password.. then goes black and hangs then goes through to the main loaded windows.. taking like i said about 2 minutes or so.

I have done a clean install deleting all partitions including the system partition, then formatted the drive.

I have also gone to msconfig and changed the boots to 3 instead of 30, give windows the use of all 8 cores, full 8gb ram.. but still slow as heck..

I am not aware if the MOB has fast startup or not and will look into it shortly.

Thanks

Daniel

sorry the hard drive is :
            Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
              After flashing the bios to F8, did you reboot and immediately enter the bios to load optimized bios settings?
              A web search using: windows 7 boot log should help you find the problem by using the windows boot log.
              What is the name of the motherboard sata port that your boot drive is connected to?

Did you do a fresh windows install on your hard drive?

HI I have run the boot logger..

It has shown that it has not loaded several files..

i have attached the log if interested.ntbtlog.txt

the files that did not load if you do not wish to view the file are..:
              Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
              Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
              Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys

I haven't got a clue what these mean..

any help much appreciated.

thanks

Daniel

Comment

Thanks

Daniel

From what you are saying, its not the board booting, its windows that is causing the problem, did you download windows and burn an ISO ?

There's not much difference between a blue and a barracuda, not one that can be noticed.

WD website has a utility, under support, I would check the drive with it, then I would erase the drive with it.

You shouldn't have to set MSCONFIG just to get a decent boot time, its usually to get a faster boot by stopping apps from starting with windows.

Normally a fresh install doesn't need this, as windows isn't that bad, its usually after installing 50 apps and people forget to go custom and stop them from starting with windows and loading into start menu.

NDProxy.SYS should not be stopped from loading with windows.

After loading chipset, graph, and other drivers, the anti-virus, then windows update.
                Last edited by odiebugs; 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Hi thanks for reply.. no this is genuine window 7 pro 64bit..

i found another thread which someone had the same issue, same drivers not loading, but it was due to the Motherboard settings for the hard drive being AHCI, they switched it to IDE and all was fine and dandy.. i tried that and only got blue screened when attempting to start windows.
                  someone else had similar issue.. but was caused by floppy drive being entered in the boot sequence.

So i still have no idea as to why.. i will download the WD Utility now and check the drive.

As to MSconfig, i am going to leave this out of the equation.

The link to the forum that has the thread that i refer to is :Delay on boot - Windows 7 Forums

Just did a quick test on the drive and it failed .. then ran it again and it passed.... will run thorough test tomorrow.. will let you know how i get on.

Any other suggestion are kindly welcome.

Many Thanks

Daniel
                  Last edited by djgriff; 07-15-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Daniel

Takes about 14 and a half mins to load windows onto a vertex three.

With your CPU, you should throw a 60g vertex 3 or 4 on the 9172, even though it's poor, grab another blue and run them RAID 0 on the ICH.

don't go over 27g on the C: boot and everything else on the blues.

You will get very small lags on the blues when idle but not while you run them with, ( games, apps) due to the fact WD turned off TLER.

Comment

Hi Thanks for the reply and setup suggestions..
                      I was looking into this last night and also thinking of pairing it up with onboard mSata to speed everything up that little bit more.. or would you recommend createing the raid over this.. just have the windows startup on a seperate SSD of 60gb like stated..

mind you everything said it still doesn't solve the issue of the HD not working correctly.. .. think it is to do with the settings of the sata somewhere in the bios.. i can't find it though..

Cheers though..

Comment

If you want to save money get a 64gb ssd or a msata ssd which ever is cheaper and do the ssd caching. But I tell you want nothing beats a true ssd and I would recommend getting the Corsair Force GT 120gb. It is a great drive, boot time on my system is like 7 sec max. I have probably have reinstalled windows about 10 times and secured erase the drive each time and the performance is as good as day one. You can see benchmarks I have posted for it in the link down in my sig.

Trust me go SSD and dont look back. If you choose to go with a different brand ssd, make sure you are looking at the right kind of ssd. There are 2 kids asynchronous and synchronous, ones good ones bad. I can never remember which one is better but the Corsair Force GT is the better one and the Corsair Force is the bad one. ProfJim knows which one is better and can also supply you with some links to check out for further reading if you like.
                        Main Rig
                        Gigabyte z87x-OC
                        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                        HiS ATI HD 6950
                        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but when I upgraded my P35 win2k system to win7 installed on an ssd, my boot times dropped from 2.5 minutes to 30 seconds. My w2k setup used a WD Caviar Black 640GB for the boot drive.

Spend a little bit more and buy a synchronous SSD for best real world performance.
                          Asynchronous ssds are slightly less expensive but their performance deteriorates as more disk space is used.

An easy way to remember which is best is to think of the "a" in asynchronous, where a = awful.
                          They're not really awful, but their performance is inferior to the synchronous drives.

Check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/storage-...rformance.html for more information.

I suggest buying an ssd that is 120 - 256GB. Using a 60 - 90GB ssd is a PITA, especially if you are into gaming or running several large applications.
                          Many ssd model names from a manufacturer have similar names for their async and sync drives.
                          Some excellent synchronous drives:
                          • Corsair Force GT (not the Force 3 drives)
                          • OCZ Vertex 3 (not the Agility 3 drives)
                          • Samsung 830 using Toggle Nand

There are other excellent synchronous drives and most will come with a 3 year warranty.
                          It can be frustrating and difficult to determine which ssd's use which type of Nand memory.

I recommend that your ssd is the only drive in your system when you install win7.
                          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

can recommend the samsung 830 and crucial m4 ssd drives also,i think thats the best way to go as its far too slow with a mechanical hdd
                            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations.. will definitely look into it asap.. as the boot time is annoying the heck out-ta me to be honest..

Would it be best to get a 64gb for windows and a separate 120gb for app. Also the Z77X-UD5 supports mSATA for fast caching .. would you recommend throwing a 32gb in there along side 2 others..

to be honest i am not to sure what the mSATA would be used for.. but will look into it..

Many Thanks

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X