No announcement yet.

need help creating new partition on a RAID0 on ASRock X79 Extreme6 Mother Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help creating new partition on a RAID0 on ASRock X79 Extreme6 Mother Board

OK, finally managed to install Windows 7 on newly build computer, I am a Mac guy, so I am pretty amaized at myself! :) Here is the hardware list —

Part list:
    Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz
    ASRock X79 Extreme6 Mother Board
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB DDR3 1600
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB Graphics Card
    2 Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM

Installed windows 7 on a partition of 250GB of 3 TB RAID0, rest of it is unallocated. The RAID was setup in the Motherboard, with SATA3_0 and 3_1 port (as described in the user guide), then creating a 250GB partition in UEFI(BIOS?) utility. I don't know how to created couple of new partition in unallocated space on the same RAID0 drive. Can some one point me to right direction please?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	wi94zq.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	756060

Re: need help creating new partition on a RAID0 on ASRock X79 Extreme6 Mother Board

Hi yoshiharra, still at it are you? Great, glad you have it going now. The partitions you want to create will soon be there.

You create the partitions in Windows, not in the RAID Option ROM.

Click on the Windows Start button (blue circle in the lower left corner), put the mouse pointer on Computer, and RIGHT mouse button click it. You should see Manage, click on that.

The Computer Management window should appear. On the left under Storage you should see Disk Management, click on that.

You should see a list of all your drives on the PC, and below that a bar graph-like display for each drive or RAID volume. Find your RAID volume in the bar graph area, and you'll see the Unallocated space in the graph. Click on the unallocated space, and then RIGHT click the mouse, and you should see New Simple Volume (a partition). Click on that to continue.

The rest of it will prompt you about what to do, which should make sense to you. You can only create one partition at a time, so don't worry about that, just don't use all the space the first time, and you can create another partition with the same procedure. You will need to choose the size of the partition, which is listed in MegaBytes, which can be a bit confusing. Just remember 1000 MegaBytes = 1 GigaByte.

Just use the default values for most things, and just do a Quick Format, otherwise it will take forever on such large drives. If you have problems let us know.

Comment

Re: need help creating new partition on a RAID0 on ASRock X79 Extreme6 Mother Board

Hi parsec, thanks for the words of encouragement! :)

When I go to disk management, the unallocated space does not show up! :(

Comment

Hmmm, I'm a bit concerned that you said "creating a 250GB partition in UEFI(BIOS?) utility." I think you may have created a 250GB RAID0 array and left the remainder un-allocated in the BIOS RAID configuration tool. If that is true, then that space will not show up under windows (or any other OS). Having never done that, I am not sure that I know what to suggest. If you have the Intel RSTe tools installed in the os, you may want to look at those, they should show you all of the disk space available, and should allow you to create an additional RAID array with the remaining space. That would in turn show up as a new (lettered) disk drive under the Disk Management tool that parsec described above.

Good luck.

Comment

aarizzi, I see what you mean to an extent, but I have RAID 0 volumes that had unallocated space (reserved purposefully on SSDs for over provisioning), and that space is recognized in Disk Management, and I could create a volume/partition on that space. Yoshiharra may need to do what you suggested if my next suggested fix for him does not work. As you point out, only more RAID volumes can be create on that space, which is not what he wants to do, I believe.

Yoshiharra, I was worried about your drive configuration from the start, due to a limitation in Windows and possibly the boards BIOS/UEFI. That is, drives over 3TB are not normally recognized correctly, which is exactly what you are using. I've never used drives of that size, so I'm not sure if the following will work with your present configuration.

If you check the download page for your board, in the Utilities section, you'll find the ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility ver:1.0 program. That is supposed to do just what it is named for, allowing drives of 3TB or larger to be useable.

Will using that on your current RAID 0 volume of two 3TB drives work? I don't know, but it's worth a try. At worst if it doesn't work, you would probably need to delete your current RAID 0 volume with its OS partition and installed OS (!!! I know ), run the 3TB unlocker, and start over again.

You may have been able to create those other partitions with the Windows installation disk before you installed Windows, but I think you would have had the 3TB disk problem there too.

You really are trying an advanced configuration on your first time using Windows, and should have done some more research before starting. Still, try the Unlocker utility, and let us know it that works.

Comment

Create the new, secondary Raid partition using the BIOS interrupt with the remainder of the space on the drives below.
            Then, boot back into windows and follow the instructions from parsec to quick format the raid array if required.

Comment

Working...
            X