Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Problem (Computer Will Not Power On)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Problem (Computer Will Not Power On)

I recently RMA'ed my graphics card 3 weeks ago (Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB) and finally got it back today. I opened my case, put it in my computer, closed the case, then tried to power my computer on - and now it will not turn on at all (no response from the fans either). I took out the card and tried to power my computer on without the card but it still would not work. It was working fine before I tried to power it on with my GFX card in it, and now I do not know what the issue is at all. I am not getting any LED lights on my motherboard either.

I tried troubleshooting a bit:
    - I jump started my PSU without plugging in the 24/4pin connectors in my motherboard and got power to the fans and hard drive, so I know its not my PSU thats messed up.
    - I tried plugging the 24/4pin connectors in and out, I tried resetting the cmos, I took the battery out of the motherboard - and still nothing.

I do not understand what could of happend, all I did was insert my graphics card and it magically stopped wanting to power on. has anyone had any similar experiences with the z68 and could help me diagnose my problem? It is very very frustrating.

Thanks!

UPDATE
    i used a mulltimeter and measured all the voltages of my PSU and am getting the correct readings, so that definitely rules out the problem being my PSU. I am thinking my motherboard must be dead, are the LED's on the motherboard suppose to light up with the 24/4 pin cables are plugged in? because mine don't.

cliffs:
    - computer powers on and is working fine with onboard graphics
    - i power off the computer and put graphics card in computer
    - computer wont power on
    - i take out graphics card
    - computer still wont power on

- (refer to above for specifics)
    Last edited by Sonx; 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM.

Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Problem (Computer Will Not Power On)

Originally posted by Sonx View Post
    I recently RMA'ed my graphics card (Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB) and finally got it back today. I opened my case, put it in my computer, closed the case, then tried to power my computer on - and now it will not turn on at all (no response from the fans either). I took out the card and tried to power my computer on without the card but it still would not work. It was working fine before I tried to power it on with my GFX card in it, and now I do not know what the issue is at all. I am not getting any LED lights on my motherboard either.

I tried troubleshooting a bit:
    - I jump started my PSU without plugging in the 24/4pin connectors in my motherboard and got power to the fans and hard drive, so I know its not my PSU thats messed up.
    - I tried plugging the 24/4pin connectors in and out, I tried resetting the cmos, I took the battery out of the motherboard - and still nothing.

I do not understand what could of happend, all I did was insert my graphics card and it magically stopped wanting to power on. has anyone had any similar experiences with the z68 and could help me diagnose my problem? It is very very frustrating.

Thanks!
    When my GTX 560 Ti FPB died, I could not power on either. No fans, lights, etc. It seemed completely dead. At first I suspected a bad PSU. When I removed the two 6 pin connectors on the card, it powered up. No video of course, but I was able too rule out the motherboard and PSU.

I was able to use my on-board graphics during RMA. Do you have that option to try? It sounds like the card I'm afraid. I have the Extreme4 Gen 3.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A.G. View Post
      When my GTX 560 Ti FPB died, I could not power on either. No fans, lights, etc. It seemed completely dead. At first I suspected a bad PSU. When I removed the two 6 pin connectors on the card, it powered up. No video of course, but I was able too rule out the motherboard and PSU.

I was able to use my on-board graphics during RMA. Do you have that option to try? It sounds like the card I'm afraid. I have the Extreme4 Gen 3.
      i think you misread. i have been running my graphics onboard for the past 2-3 weeks, i already RMA'ed my graphics card because it wasnt working and just got it back today. i then tried to put it back in and it has appeared to have killed my motherboard, I dont exactly know what the problem is exactly (refer back to the first post). now my computer wont power on what so ever even when i take out the graphics card.
      Last edited by Sonx; 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM.

Comment

You should see a (usually green) LED on when the PC is off but the power supply is turned on. Also, if you have an active network cable connected to the PC, you should see the activity LED next to the network cable plug flashing if the board is functioning. You may need to look at the board with the side panel off to see the boards power LED.

Double check the power button connection to the board, that might have been disturbed when you put the video card back in. If you removed those cables for some reason, be sure they are connected to the correct header pins.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          You should see a (usually green) LED on when the PC is off but the power supply is turned on. Also, if you have an active network cable connected to the PC, you should see the activity LED next to the network cable plug flashing if the board is functioning. You may need to look at the board with the side panel off to see the boards power LED.

Double check the power button connection to the board, that might have been disturbed when you put the video card back in. If you removed those cables for some reason, be sure they are connected to the correct header pins.
          yeah it doesn't seem to be responsive at all. i even took out the motherboard of the case and plugged just the 24/8pin connectors in it just to see if it would light up (i didn't take the cpu out though, i dont think that would make a difference). unless i'm missing something crucial, my gpu fried my board... so frustrating.

Comment

You powered off your system when you installed or uninstalled your video card, good.
            Did you also:
            -- turn off the psu using the rocker switch at the back of the psu?
            or
            -- unplug the external psu power cable from the wall outlet?
            If not, you might have damaged your motherboard and/or video card.
            I always do both of these steps whenever I remove or install any hardware.

Don't assume that your psu is OK based on the tests that you performed.
            I've seen too many "coincidental" psu failures and several cases where the psu appeared to be working properly.
            Test with another power supply.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

About all this is left, which I see you did already, is to remove the mother board battery for 10 minutes, while moving the BIOS clear jumper to the clear position at the same time. Replace battery and BIOS jumper and give the board one more try. I assume you don't have that video card connected to the board, sorry just saying. Did you try the video card in another PCIe slot? Might as well, nothing to lose at this point. Otherwise, sounds like a dead board, I wonder how the video card killed it (seemingly?) A short that fried a voltage regulator? Good luck with that, try to RMA the board if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonx View Post
                i think you misread. i have been running my graphics onboard for the past 2-3 weeks, i already RMA'ed my graphics card because it wasnt working and just got it back today. i then tried to put it back in and it has appeared to have killed my motherboard, I dont exactly know what the problem is exactly (refer back to the first post). now my computer wont power on what so ever even when i take out the graphics card.
                I don't think I misread your post. Even though you RMAed it, doesn't meant it's okay. My point was that when my card died it would not power up. No fans or lights of any kind. It acted like a dead PSU or motherboard. I bought another PSU to test and it still did not power on. I re-seated the card and did not plug in the two PCI-e cables to it and it fired right up. No video of course, but that eliminated it being a PSU or motherboard. I was told by EVGA that when they tested it, it would not POST.

I suggested trying the on-board graphics if you have that option to rule out the PSU or motherboard.

EDIT: So it works with the on-board graphics?
                >>- computer powers on and is working fine with onboard graphics
                Last edited by J.A.G.; 09-06-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                  You powered off your system when you installed or uninstalled your video card, good.
                  Did you also:
                  -- turn off the psu using the rocker switch at the back of the psu?
                  or
                  -- unplug the external psu power cable from the wall outlet?
                  If not, you might have damaged your motherboard and/or video card.
                  I always do both of these steps whenever I remove or install any hardware.

Don't assume that your psu is OK based on the tests that you performed.
                  I've seen too many "coincidental" psu failures and several cases where the psu appeared to be working properly.
                  Test with another power supply.
                  I agree and always do the same and even with that I touch the PSU for good measure.

FWIW, I had an old Antec 500w PSU and it powered everything just fine until I got a 560 Ti. The recommended minimum was a 500w. I plugged it in and heard a small "puff" sound and that was it. If I didn't have my head near the open case, I never would have heard it. New 600w PSU solved it.

Comment

I agree with profJim, you really should test with another PS to be sure the current PS is not bad. It might work Ok under low load, as you tested it with the fans, but most fans don't even use one watt of power.

Did they send you a new card, or repaired (Ha!) the other one? So they sent you the card with no info about it?

Comment

Working...
                    X