Windows does not find any drives on Asrock 970 extreme 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows does not find any drives on Asrock 970 extreme 4

I have jsut installed all the parts into my computer and i am trying to install windows. When i boot from the Windows 7 DVD (SP1) i get an error message that windows needs an DVD/HDD driver. I tried to use the Raid driver from the Asrock disc which didnt help at all. The drives are set in AHCI mode in Bios. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    TIA

Re: Windows does not find any drives on Asrock 970 extreme 4

make sure your hdd is installed on the correct sata ports,i dont know what ports you have on that board or whether its intel or amd? but if intel you want it on the intel sata2 or sata3 ports if you have them,then set to ahci in the bios and you should be able to install windows,windows 7 shouldnt ask you for any drivers,it finds/installs all needed drivers for you inc the raid drivers if needed ect
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That's strange, the native Windows 7 msahci driver should work with AMD chipsets when set to AHCI mode. Can you see the HDD in your BIOS? Your boards manual states that when used in AHCI mode and installing Windows 7, you do not need to install any drivers, which is quite normal.

I suggest only connecting the HDD you want to install your OS on, to your PC for the OS installation. That should be in the "first" SATA port, which is shown in the manual. Your DVD drive should be connected to a SATA port below it.

What drives are you using, your HDD and DVD drive?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        That's strange, the native Windows 7 msahci driver should work with AMD chipsets when set to AHCI mode. Can you see the HDD in your BIOS? Your boards manual states that when used in AHCI mode and installing Windows 7, you do not need to install any drivers, which is quite normal.

I suggest only connecting the HDD you want to install your OS on, to your PC for the OS installation. That should be in the "first" SATA port, which is shown in the manual. Your DVD drive should be connected to a SATA port below it.

What drives are you using, your HDD and DVD drive?
        I thought so too but it doesnt. And the error message that the driver is missing comes was before the options for the selection where i want to install it.

I have used this hard drive on my previous computer hardware and i can boot windows from it just fine. I just wanted to have a fresh isntall since the previous computer was intel and this one is amd based.
        It is recognized in BIOS and as i said, i can boot normally from the drive into windows with no errors or any other problem

Comment

Did you format that drive before putting in the AMD board PC? If not, the Windows installer may be using the MBR already on the drive, set up for an Intel mother board. That of course fails, and it asks for a driver that is impossible to install at that point.

So you can boot from that drive fine on the new AMD board system? That tells me you had standard Windows drivers on the Intel system. I still find that hard to believe...

Comment

Maybe i wasn't clear before. I have upgraded on this pc the main board and processot. I have had a Intel q6600 on a MSI motherboard. Now in the same pc is a asrock main board with a fx6200. The hard drive is still the same.
            It is recognized in bios and i can start windows from it but i CAN NOT format it with the windows dvd as i don't even get that far. Pretty much straight after the selection of language i get this error message already...
            So far i have had many weird problems with computers but this one is really strange. IS there maybe a set port which i have to use for the drive?

Comment

Solved

To top it all off i figured out that the hard drive wasnt the problem. Maybe somebody here who helped wants to know what the problem was.

After having enough of the "standard" way of installing Windows from i dvd i made a SUB stick with the windows files. Went smooth without any problem. I assume my dvd drive is faulty.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know what was the problem and to say thanks to anyone helping ;)

Comment

Working...
              X