Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 Extreme7 gen3 DEAD!!!!!

Re: Asrock Z68 Extreme7 gen3 DEAD!!!!!

Are you getting any codes on the diagnostics led on the motherboard? Also have you tried holding the reset button on the motherboard for 15seconds?

Comment

I wanted to respond to this post since I have a similar issue that just happened on Sunday with my extreme 4 gen 3. I have contacted the HX850 Gold MFG "Corsair" as well as Asrock Customer Service. I am 4 days from warranty expiration on the MOBO. YIKES!

I spent a lot of time working on this yesterday.

Pressing the power button on the PC will not start the PSU. No PSU fans, nothing.
      Bypassing the power button and shorting the PWR connector on the Mobo doesn't work either, "Nor does the power push button or the
      There are no Caps on the Mobo that are bent to the side, darkened, or leaking
      I have two video cards (SLI), so I tried swapping out the video cards and I also tried to run with no video card and with all components disconnected.

I tried checked for any screws, lack of motherboard standoffs etc that could be causing a short, and I did not find any. "I did not try to run the motherboard outside of the case"

The machine has been operating normally for an entire year. Without any issues, the power button just ceased to start the computer.

My HX850 passed the paperclip testI had it running a .30 Amp Fan

I tested the contacts with a multi meter and they appeared to be in within voltage tolerances under the 0.30 Amp Load
      The gray "PWR_ON was down to about 4.65 during this test." Would a reading below 5V prevent the Mobo from allowing the machine to start up? From what I've read online the gray can fluctuate during a paper clip test and is irrelevant I don't know if that is true or not.

The only changes made to the PC in the last month have been upgrading the Monitor cable from a single link to a dual link DVI cable. I had to reconnect it one time because I was getting bright colored pixels on the screen, which would seem to indicate the cable needed to be reseated. I disconnected the cable and reconnect and that corrected this issue. That worked for at least a couple weeks. If the connection in some way would have jostled the video card, I did try to test for that. I reseated both video cards, and I tried starting the PC with each video card one at a time, as well as booting with no video card at all. Neither worked.

I have not tried to reset the cmos. I didn't think it would have any effect since the PSU is refusing to initiate an attempt at post.

The only evidence of life in the PC is that when the power is turned on, the LED activity indicator light flashes when the psu is connected with the power switch on the pack of the PSU turned on.

Please let me know if you have any success, and I will do likewise.

No LED numbers are appearing on the MOBO for me, I have not tried to hold reset for 15 seconds, but I will try that tonight.

Last edited by CopyJocky; 10-16-2012, 10:00 AM. Reason: adding more info.

Comment

Another thing to try is to press and hold the power button for like 15 seconds. Release and press it again normally. I've seen a few times where a mobo gets stuck in hibernation. pressing power for 10-15 seconds will initiate a manual forced "power down"
        I would assume that removing the power from the mobo completely would do the same, it doesn't hurt to try it anyway.

Please also double check the power connectors on the motherboard (at minimum there are 2, the 24 pin and the 8/4 pin.) Both are required to successfully boot.
        Also, if you can, simplify.
        Disconnect everything except power, ram, cpu and on board video from the MB and try again.
        It can happen that another component is shorting out the MB.

Failing that, and a CMOS reset, You may have a case for an RMA.

Syn

Comment

I have sent it back(RMA), and will get a new one.

Comment

Corsair in process of advance RMA.

Will test probably by end of week or early next week. If that doesn't fix problem, MOBO will also be RMA'd. I've started the RMA process on the mobo as well.

Good luck!

Comment

I put the new power supply in from Corsair and that didn't cause any change. I sent the Asrock motherboard back yesterday. It should arrive on Friday and I might have a new motherboard next week Friday. I have high hopes that this fixes my issue. IF it does not... What's left??? CPU swap? That would suck. My 2500k is only a year old.

Comment

It looks like this just happened to one of my computers (Gerty, see signature, built in Feb 2012), which has an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mobo. Actually first it shut itself down twice after some ten minutes of use, but both times came back to life after I opened and fiddled with some connectors (unclear whether that mattered or it was just giving it some time). Now it is nearly totally dead. Nothing happens when I press power or reset (whether briefly or 15 s), reset the CMOS, etc. However, if I plug in an external DVD reader to USB and turn on the main power switch, the DVD reader gets power. But nothing on the mobo itself seems to get power; in particular the two digits are quiet.
                I don't have a spare PSU to try, but at least part of it is clearly functional, and judging from others on this thread, the mobo is the main suspect. Did anyone ever figure out what was going on, or a workaround? Clearly it is too late for me to RMA the mobo.
                Thanks,
                -- J.

Comment

Working...
                X