Z77 Extreme4 - Windows 8 Secure Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Extreme4 - Windows 8 Secure Boot

I was interested in upgrading to Windows 8 and when I ran the upgrade assistant it said that my PC didn't support Secure Boot. My bios was a bit old and I noticed there was one for Windows 8 so I updated to version 2.40, but the Update Assistant still complains. Is that normal?

Microsoft said this on the requirements "Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the MicrosoftWindows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database"

Re: Z77 Extreme4 - Windows 8 Secure Boot

Has anyone else experienced this or can check? The upgrade assistant is free. Bios 2.10 said "Support for Windows 8" so I imagine 2.40 should support secure boot. Or is that a bad assumption?

Comment

I just installed Win 8 RTM on 2.40 on this exact MOBO. it doesn't give any errors. Also I noticed in UEFI there is a Secure Boot option now

Comment

Originally posted by dandy55 View Post
        I just installed Win 8 RTM on 2.40 on this exact MOBO. it doesn't give any errors. Also I noticed in UEFI there is a Secure Boot option now
        Fresh install or using Upgrade Assistant?

Comment

fresh install, let me try the upgrade assistant and tell you if that error comes up

Yes, it does come up, but maybe just because it is disabled in UEFI, however I installed windows with it disabled (and on a non compatible firmware 2.0 previously) with no errors
          Last edited by dandy55; 10-26-2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

fresh install, let me try the upgrade assistant and tell you if that error comes up

Yes, it does come up, but maybe just because it is disabled in UEFI, however I installed windows with it disabled (and on a non compatible firmware 2.0 previously) with no errors
            Hmm. That's more reassuring then. Maybe it's just Update Assistant being wonky. Thanks!

If anyone has the time to check if it actually works
            says Once the OS is installed and Secure Boot is enabled, the next step is to verify that secure boot is operational.
            To verify Secure Boot do the following:

Comment

Sorry, can't help you there - I already uninstalled it. My TP-Link Wifi card is terribly slow on it, with both MS drivers or Manufacturer drivers (for Win 7)

Comment

Sorry, can't help you there - I already uninstalled it. My TP-Link Wifi card is terribly slow on it, with both MS drivers or Manufacturer drivers (for Win 7)
                No problem, thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                X