Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting problems with AsRock z77 Extreme 4

Hi there!

I've just built my new system (AsRock z77 Extreme 4, i5-3570k, Asus GTX 660 Ti, SSD Crucial m-4, 4x4gb kingston vengenance DDR3 1600). The first time booted the system entered into the bios (v. 1.2) and everything seemed to work fine. Everything was detected correctly by the bios and no issues was appearing.

I've rebooted and since then everytime I reboot the system enters the bios (no matter which key i'm pressing, e.g. F11 for boot menu). Most of the times the bios itself has problems; everytime that i enter in a menu to change something it goes out immediately (like if there is a key always pressed). The strange thing is that it doesn't do it always! Dr. Debug is stuck to A3 & A6.

Another weird thing is that sometimes it works and I managed to select the option to boot from external dvd reader to install windows. When it mangaes to go over the bios stops with black screen and the dr. debug does not give any sign of life. Other times gives a buzzing dash on black screen with A3 or A6.

Any ideas?

Re: Booting problems with AsRock z77 Extreme 4

I would first try and clear the cmos and leave it at defaults. If the BIOS detects an issue with how it's configured, it will re-enter BIOS to allow you fix it.
    I found on my board (not z77 ext 4) that if I overclocked memory with certain values that were "close" to working but not stable, I would get about the same problems that you are getting.

Syn

Comment

When I clear CMOS sometimes the system start working again (it boots to bios and let me change the values; the alway pressing key seems disappearing). However, it does not boot from CD and the black screen or buzzing dash issue appears.

Once after a clear CMOS it managed to boot from CD and windows file started to load. Unfortunately after loading the files the system stopped and the screen went black (Dr. Debug was black as well). After waiting a little bit (5-10 minutes) I rebooted and all problems came back once again.

Please note that the bios problems with the keyboard appears also if I do not touch anything on the bios and simply reboot.

Comment

You're using an external DVD drive for a Windows installation? How is that connected to the board, USB, eSATA? I would be surprised if an external optical drive would work, at least if not connected to the USB 2.0 ports on the boards I/O panel.

What changed between that first startup when all was fine, and when it started to fail? Plug in that external optical drive? Where was it plugged in?

Start removing things until the problem stops. Is your keyboard a direct connect, wired USB or PS2, and mouse too? You must use that kind until you install Windows and drivers at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          You're using an external DVD drive for a Windows installation? How is that connected to the board, USB, eSATA? I would be surprised if an external optical drive would work, at least if not connected to the USB 2.0 ports on the boards I/O panel.

What changed between that first startup when all was fine, and when it started to fail? Plug in that external optical drive? Where was it plugged in?

Start removing things until the problem stops. Is your keyboard a direct connect, wired USB or PS2, and mouse too? You must use that kind until you install Windows and drivers at least once.
          It was the stupid keyboard! If I connect it after the start up of windows it works perfectly but if I connect at the boot the system keeps rebooting and the problem persist. I've already bought a new keyboard but it is a very weird problem!

Comment

Working...
          X