• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990FX Extreme4 Sleep problem with new V2.00 BIOS

Hello everyone,
    I discovered a problem with the new v2.00 BIOS for
    my Asrock motherboard 990FX Extreme4.

PS/2 Keyboard does not work after Sleep mode (i.e in Win 7 x64 -> Start->Shutdown->Sleep)
    with V2.00.
    Same settings, nothing changed, and it works with V1.70 BIOS.
    both BIOS versions v2.00 and v1.70 are on BIOS Default Setting

Please fix it or I won't be able to use Fast Boot Mode for Windows :(
    Also bios v1.70 which worked beste, for me seems to be a bit faster than v2.00 (and I don't think is just the placebo effect)

Thanks.

Re: 990FX Extreme4 Sleep problem with new V2.00 BIOS

That's odd. Mine wakes from Sleep using the "Wake Up' key. Or any key press for that matter. And yes, generic PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 Logitech mouse here.

When it's sleeping, what does the Dr. Debug leds display? Mine displays 03 (representing an S3 sleep state) when using Start->Shutdown->Sleep, or by using the keyboards Sleep key.

The only odd behavior I've so far encountered is when I updated from BIOS 1.80 to 2.00. I kept getting an error code 36 along with a blank screen on initial boot when cold booting. Yet after powering down and powering back up it would run normal. At that time I had my two sticks of ram in the white slots(A2 and B2) because I read somewhere that 2 sticks in those slots improved performance.

Two calls to ASRock techs didn't solve anything. Scratching my head I devoured the manual again and decided to move the sticks to the blue slots(A1 and B1) and viola, problem disappeared. I still don't know why it would run perfectly in the white slots on 1.80 and become flaky on 2.00. It didn't matter what BIOS 2.00 changes I made I kept getting the error 36 and blank screen upon initial cold boot.

By chance is your ram residing in the white slots?

My system now:
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4 w/BIOS 2.00
    FX-8150
    32GB of AMD Entertainment, 2 kits of AE316G1601U2K(2pcs 8GB ea kit) 1600MHz 2T
    EDIT: Windows 7 x64
    Last edited by - wardog -; 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM. Reason: Add Windows ver to system
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Oh!

And I did call back to ASRock tech to explain my findings pertaining to what I discovered to have "cured' the error 36 problem I described above.

Hope it may help someone in the future should they call in for support.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I have my memory (2 sticks) in blue slots.

But I just remembered from what you wrote that when I first upgraded (and I did it twice) from a lower version to V2.00 BIOS,
        only after the first restart (after writing the new ROM version from Bios) the computer beeped 5 short time

I don't know that the Dr debug displays cause I have the case closed most of the time.
        I put the comp in sleep mode every night. It's the standart 5V standby from the Power Source I guess (with voltage applied to RAM), not hibernation or somthing like this when the comp is fully shut down.

Comment

5 short beeps huh? Have you Google'd "ami bios 5 sort beeps"?

How long have you had these parts installed and running?

I'm curious what Dr. Debug might be showing, if anything, after it's booted.
          Well, you ever get around to taking the side panel off I'd be curious what Dr. Debug shows while sleeping.
          Please post if or when you do.

Comment

Dear Clabr,

I use two PS/2 keyboard to do the test with BIOS P2.00, we could wake up system from S3 via PS/2 keyboard.

Please kindly check if "Allow this device to wake the computer" option in device manager (Standard PS/2 Keyboard) set at [Enabled].

If you don't know how to set it, please kindly provide your e-mail for me via PM, I will send a picture to you for reference.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
            ASRock TSD
            Emily

Comment

Emily, is there any reason why you can't post the picture in this thread.
              I frequently include one or more pictures in my posts so that it will be clear to all of the people viewing the thread.
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
                Dear Clabr,

I use two PS/2 keyboard to do the test with BIOS P2.00, we could wake up system from S3 via PS/2 keyboard.

Please kindly check if "Allow this device to wake the computer" option in device manager (Standard PS/2 Keyboard) set at [Enabled].

If you don't know how to set it, please kindly provide your e-mail for me via PM, I will send a picture to you for reference.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
                ASRock TSD
                Emily
                Thank you for the reply, Emily, but that is not what I ment.
                What I said was: "PS/2 Keyboard does not work after Sleep mode".
                Does not work after wake up from Sleep mode, in other words. So I did wake up the computer from Sleep mode with the keyboard, but the keyboard does not work anymore.
                I tried removing it, puting it back (the led lights come on when I put the plug in, for a short time, but that is normal) and still it does not work at all.
                It works normaly only after I reset the computer.

(and I am fairly experienced comp user, I have knowledge of most of the settings in Bios)

5 short beeps huh? Have you Google'd "ami bios 5 sort beeps"?

How long have you had these parts installed and running?

I'm curious what Dr. Debug might be showing, if anything, after it's booted.
                Well, you ever get around to taking the side panel off I'd be curious what Dr. Debug shows while sleeping.
                Please post if or when you do.
                5 short beeps means from what I googled, processor error, but I guess that could be from the unlocked 4th core from my AMD CPU II X3 460+

Comment

Dear clabr,

I retry the test with BIOS P2.00, PS/2 keyboard/mouse still work normally after S3.
                  We still couldn't duplicate the symptom.

5 beeps means system couldn't detect the graphics.
                  If your system works normally, system won't have 5 beeps.

If the 5 beeps still occur, please tell me the model name of your monitor and which output port (D-Sub, DVI, HDMI) you connected.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
                  ASRock TSD
                  Emily

Comment

Dear wardog,

About debug code "36" issue with BIOS P2.00, please kindly update BIOS P2.00B from below link to try again.
                    BIOS P2.00B download Link: http://download.asrock.com/990FX2.00B.zip

After testing the BIOS, please provide the test result for me.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
                    ASRock TSD
                    Emily

Comment

Working...
                    X