X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the beeps mean?

When you startup your system?

:confused:

Different ptterns stand for different things, how many times does it beep?

Comment

Man i had a website that had a list of the beeps and what they mean considering how many times they beep...i had it on my favorites but its gone...i got it from WiGGo ...so when he passes by i think he will be kind enough to link you.:)
      - Damien

Comment

i saw wiggo drop that link to, trying to remember where?

Comment

It means somebody is trying to pass. (heh heh)
          Here's a link:

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/

Comment

See? Ya's don't need me after all. :D

Comment

good to know u are always close by though :thumb: :thumb:

Comment

Yes it is :thumb:

Comment

does it beep when you are in reverse? if so, **** your gears to Nutral or Drive. almost all trucks make that sound when in reverse but no many cars do that.

I have a 93' pontiac firebird and I get no beeping sound when Im backing out of my garage. :snip:

.....joking :thumb:

Comment

You did'nt say if you actually had a problem and if so what? However if your just wondering about the post beep, it just a semi-long beep on your bootup process to let you know that everything is okydoky. If'n you've wonderering what the Bios Post Errors consortium are. Can give you some of the more important one here, but as there are at least 26 ( some extras on older and indifferent boards)

one beep--dram refresh failure (faulty circuitry on motherboard)

two beeps--parity circuit failure in your base memory (lower 64k block)

three beeps--complete base 64k RAM failure

four beeps--system #1 timer has failed or may be temporaily malfuntioning

five beeps--CPU has produced an error or could mean complete processor failure

six--keyboard controller problems, meaning bios can't switch your CPU into protected mode( running vitual)

seven--processor interrupt failure

eight--R/W memory test failure or video adapter is missing (non fatal)

nine--ROM-bios checksum failure (idication of dead bios-ROM)
                    ten--CMOS memory R/W shut down failure

eleven--external cache error or is bad

Combo beep codes
                    two short beeps--post failure

one long & two short beeps--video failure
                    a)video bios-ROM failure
                    b)video adapter failure

one long & three beeps--video failure
                    a)video DAC has failed
                    b)the monitor detection process has failed
                    c)video RAM has failed

NOTE* Don't confuse single beep with the regular everything's normal beep with memory failure; if'n your running okydoky, you don't have a memory problem. Length of beeps can vary with manufactures.

Hope this helps

Bob Brooks
                    [email protected]

Comment

5 beeps in the above post has me a bit perplexed...total cpu failure means nothing...zilch...nix...deathly silence...you need a processor working at whatever level to get a beep.......

Comment

I guess it just means if it has an error. Your right if there was complete failure of the CPU the thing wouldnt start up would it?

Comment

Sorry not to have responed sooner, not enough hours in the day, sometimes it seems.
                          Yes, you guys are absolutely correct on the way I wrote out #5 beep code!!
                          The fact is that when most procs have problems in any area, the whole proc. bites the dust. Once had a older board that the processor (366) would malfuntion only in a certain area loading code, but worked fine everywhere else. And unlike an error that can possibly be scrubed with a reboot. An as you guys would know, this type of CPU problem is impossible to fix without a billion $ processing plant in your back yard.

Thanks for setting things straight in this matter...
                          Rangerbob

Comment

Working...
                          X