XP SP1 cause comp not to boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP SP1 cause comp not to boot

I installed SP1 as per the procedure and now my comp will not reboot. It doesn't even get to the XP logo screen. After finding all drives etc. it just hangs with a blank screen. Any ideas? If I boot off the XP CD and repair windows, will that work?

Since you're dead in the water, it certainly can't hurt. But if you get as far as detecting the drives, can you do the F8 thing and boot into Safe Mode? If so, then you should be able to uninstall SP1 from there.

Just another reason why I say SP1 SUCKS! :thumbs do
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Missed that, did the repair, now the computer boots to a point and then resets. Tried going into safe mode, and I've got the same problem. Time to cut my losses, wipe the drive clean and install XP from scratch.

Comment

ha ha, :p welcome to the club....I was totally defeated by SP1. somepeople ran into problems when they tried to apply SP1 to cracks.

I was one of the few who didnt have a problem downloading and installing it but after a few days, it all feel apart and I wanted to die. :shoot3:

Comment

moever,

Did you ever figure this out, I am having the same problem, my system reboots by its self right when the Log-On screen should appear???

Anyone find a way around this besides reinstall?

Thanks
          [email protected]

Comment

Never figured it out. I took my harddrive out and installed it on another computer, took off the data that I needed from it, and then reinstalled back into my old computer. I reinstalled windows XP, now everything is back up and running. I am going to stay far away from SP1. My computer runs fine without it.

Comment

If you install SP1 straight over a fresh install, it actually goes on very well. It's just when you've done things to your system and try install it that it doesn't seem to work too well

Comment

I too have had boot up problems after installing SP1. I had one XP Pro corp with only the individual updates-no SP1. I installed a second copy of XP Pro,and SP1.(Seperate partition on second hard drive) All else was the same--drivers,etc,though there was alot less programs on the second XP partition. It was a clean install and was just to be used for experimentation.
                On three occassions my computer failed to boot. I couln't get the Repair Console to run and I had to use a Drive Image image to restore.
                The cause of this is a different version of hal.dll installed by SP1.You can find hal.dll in Windows\System32.This change alters or corrupts the boot.ini. Remember I'm dual booting two XPs. My research also indicated that NTLDR and other files necessary to boot may also be changed.
                I uninstalled SP1--not without six errors in copying files during the uninstall,then that XP wouln't boot,so I did a repair install,installed all Win Updates,cleaned the partition up,defragged and both of my XPs are running smoothly and quickly for the past ten days.The SP1 XP took longer to boot,was sluggish and all the little menu boxes and Min/Max boxes were little sqiggles.
                SSP1 is worthless.SP1 is 40 MB of updates and 95 MB of horse****.

Comment

sorry to hear your having all thoes problems with the sp1 and xp-pro.

I have done the upgrade many times and have yet to have any kind of problem.

everything goes on very smothe.

Comment

Working...
                  X