Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What does this button do?" : Explaining real-life impact of BIOS settings

Hello, I just bought and setup a system based on a GA-Z77X-UD5H

A bit overwhelmed/intimidated of the number of settings in the BIOS, I wonder what does each one of them do.

For example setting TURBO or EXTREME, or the PWM setting to fast or Xtreme.. the Voltage Response.. The Intel Rapid Start setting.. the Network Stack.. (just to name a few)

Is there some detailed guide on how each of those affects real life performance,stability etc?

sidenote: I'm not an overclocker, I'm all for stability and being cool and quiet. Those are my system's specs:

Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Motherboard BIOS version F14
    Processor Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770 / 3.40 GH
    Memory Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16 Go DDR3
    Video Card #1 Gigabyte N65TOC-1GI Nvidia GeforceGTX650 Ti 1GB
    Hard Drive #1 SAMSUNG SSD 830 128GB
    Case Fractal DEFINE R3 (USB 3.0 version)
    Cooler Dark Rock Advanced C1
    Keyboard logitech unifying wireless
    Mouse logitech unifying wireless
    Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 430W
    Sound Card onboard
    Monitor Samsung B2230HD
    Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit

Re: "What does this button do?" : Explaining real-life impact of BIOS settings

Originally posted by gkatsanos View Post
    Hello, I just bought and setup a system based on a GA-Z77X-UD5H

A bit overwhelmed/intimidated of the number of settings in the BIOS, I wonder what does each one of them do.

For example setting TURBO or EXTREME, or the PWM setting to fast or Xtreme.. the Voltage Response.. The Intel Rapid Start setting.. the Network Stack.. (just to name a few)

Is there some detailed guide on how each of those affects real life performance,stability etc?

sidenote: I'm not an overclocker, I'm all for stability and being cool and quiet. Those are my system's specs:

Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Motherboard BIOS version F14
    Processor Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770 / 3.40 GH
    Memory Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16 Go DDR3
    Video Card #1 Gigabyte N65TOC-1GI Nvidia GeforceGTX650 Ti 1GB
    Hard Drive #1 SAMSUNG SSD 830 128GB
    Case Fractal DEFINE R3 (USB 3.0 version)
    Cooler Dark Rock Advanced C1
    Keyboard logitech unifying wireless
    Mouse logitech unifying wireless
    Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 430W
    Sound Card onboard
    Monitor Samsung B2230HD
    Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit
    Hard to explain all the BIOS settings, but using a 430W PSU to power all of that? Not sure that it's the best idea...

Comment

with a 430W PSU all you can do is turn it on. with everything at stock settings your at the limit of your power supply

use this calculator; eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

that will tell you the smallest PSU you should be using then you can add your desired overclock then you'll have a better idea what to run... if it calls for a 750W PSU.. get an 850 or 950.

Vin
      Main Rig
      OS = Win10-64Bit
      CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
      Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
      MB = Asus ROG C6H
      GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
      HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
      PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
      Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
      OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
      CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
      Mem = 24GB RAM
      MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
      GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
      HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
      Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
      PSU = Corsair TX750
      Case = Define R5

Comment

Thanks a lot for those replies. My PSU is still in the "return-free" amazon policy so if you really think it's very close or less than required (well the system hasn't done any shutdowns or anything) then I might as well go change it..

Here are my results with the calculator:
        System Type: 1 physical CPU
        Motherboard: High End - Desktop
        CPU Socket: Socket LGA 1155
        CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3400 MHz Ivy Bridge
        CPU Utilization (TDP): 90% TDP
        RAM: 2 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM
        Video Card 1: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650
        PPU: AGEIA PhysX PPU

ATTENTION: FOR PERSONAL, NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY
        DRAM SSD: 1 Drive
        Flash SSD: 1 Drive
        PCI-e x16 Card: 1 Card
        USB: 3 Devices
        Fan Controller: Yes
        Fans
        Regular: 2 Fans 120mm;
        Keyboard and mouse: Yes
        System Load: 90 %

Minimum PSU Wattage: 288 Watts
        Recommended Wattage: 338 Watts

I believe I didn't forget something?

Otherwise is there a tool with which you can see how much of the capacity of your PSU you're using? (my PSU is 80% efficient..)
        is this included in benchmarking tools?

ps: I have a non K version of the i7 so no overclocking besides these BIOS settings if you tell me more or less what they do?

Comment

ok, for some reason I thought that GPU required a 450+W psu but checking again it takes it's power from the PCIe port and not an external source ya, I guess that PSU will do for your system but if you want to upgrade your GPU while having that PSU you will most likely have to upgrade it.

and if you want stable with cool and quiet, leave it as it... (Stable and Quiet) or (Stable and Overclocked) pick one.

Vin
          Main Rig
          OS = Win10-64Bit
          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
          MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
          Mem = 24GB RAM
          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
          PSU = Corsair TX750
          Case = Define R5

Comment

There's a 530 PSU for 10 Euros more so maybe I'll go for it..

But otherwise noone said a word about the bios settings... Is there some kind of sticky or document or Gigabyte advanced guide or something that explains what the settings do?..
            I mean at least this PWM thingie.. Is it some kind of "soft" overclocking? (that doesn't impact temperature etc?)

And to get a quicker POST? Intel Rapid Start?

Comment

There are a million things that can be done.

start with the manual that came with your motherboard, in there describes every setting that is available in your BIOS. also Google is your friend, search for the specific items that you are questioning and read up on it.

you can also look in this thread, that is stickied at the top of this section; http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html

there you will find tools to verify the stability of the system.

the ones I'd highlight are

- Prime95, Linx and Intel Burn Test for running your CPU at 100%
              - CPU-Z for confirming your CPU and memory configuration
              - Heaven benchmark for running your GPU at 100%
              - GPU-Z for confirming your video configuration
              - for temperature monitoring use HWmonitor or coretemp or realtemp.. I prefer HWmonitor personally.

I'm not just going to throw you some numbers without you having a base of understanding on what you own. This is because every system is different and numbers from one system could blow yours up if you don't understand what you are getting your self into

to get a quicker post, put your system to sleep instead of shutting it down... on the power on button press to windows should be about 5 seconds.

Vin
              Main Rig
              OS = Win10-64Bit
              Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
              MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
              Mem = 24GB RAM
              GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
              PSU = Corsair TX750
              Case = Define R5

Comment

Heck like my wife says... better to be oversized size than not. LOL! Which actually means if you plan on doing nothing else (adding hardware) then you may be fine.

Comment

If I run Prime95 on a stress test for like 10 hours... and the pc remains OK can this mean something for my PSU too?
                  Basically I'm asking how can I be sure my PSU (430) can handle a full load usage of all components of my machine? (stock) (calculators aside)

thanks!

Comment

For example setting TURBO or EXTREME, or the PWM setting to fast or Xtreme.. the Voltage Response

those tighten up the secondary ram timings,pwm speeds up the voltage regulator response i think not too sure,it will help when the pc switches from idle to full speed clocks

i think youll be ok with that psu provided you dont overclock anything,for peice of mind you can buy a larger wattage if you want
                    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: &quot;What does this button do?&quot; : Explaining real-life impact of BIOS settings

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                      For example setting TURBO or EXTREME, or the PWM setting to fast or Xtreme.. the Voltage Response

those tighten up the secondary ram timings,pwm speeds up the voltage regulator response i think not too sure,it will help when the pc switches from idle to full speed clocks

i think youll be ok with that psu provided you dont overclock anything,for peice of mind you can buy a larger wattage if you want
                      because I might add a hard drive... and more ram...

and if you get more powerful PSU then the fan works at lower RPM I guess so it's more quiet, right?

Comment

Re: &quot;What does this button do?&quot; : Explaining real-life impact of BIOS settings

because I might add a hard drive... and more ram...

and if you get more powerful PSU then the fan works at lower RPM I guess so it's more quiet, right?
                        yeah it will put less stress on the psu,but it depends on your case,if its midi atx then it will run hotter than if in a full size atx case,hdd's and ram dont use much juice though,gpu's and cpu's or overclocking use the most power,you want a 500-600w imo,i run my z68 pc @4.5ghz with a 600w just fine
                        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

yeah it will put less stress on the psu,but it depends on your case,if its midi atx then it will run hotter than if in a full size atx case,hdd's and ram dont use much juice though,gpu's and cpu's or overclocking use the most power,you want a 500-600w imo,i run my z68 pc @4.5ghz with a 600w just fine
                          it's a midi... why are you saying it will run hotter compared to before?

Comment

it's a midi... why are you saying it will run hotter compared to before?
                            i meant your current psu,as its lower wattage so would work harder than a higher wattage psu would,and the case size and airflow will also affect this,with a bigger psu it will be working less hard
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

i meant your current psu,as its lower wattage so would work harder than a higher wattage psu would,and the case size and airflow will also affect this,with a bigger psu it will be working less hard
                              but I guess the only real way to test how much of its power isused is this device that you have to buy...

Comment

Working...
                              X