Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock z77 extreme6 SATA problem after flashing bios from 1.40 to new bios

Hey all

I just bougt new mobo /z77 extreme6/, after all set up, without any major problem, I decided to flash new mobo BIOS.
    After doing so via internet flash to 2.30 bios and restart, it stays at starting screen with A2 check on debug display.
    So i saw it is SATA prob, i started unplug SATA devices 1 by 1 /I only have 3/..
    Check is passed only if single HDD with OS is plugged in / no optical drive, no other HDD/. I went to UEFI settings and set waiting time to 5 seconds to give mobo more time for checks,
    plugged back optical drive and second HDD, again I could not pass A2 check and mobo stays at start screen, not able to enter setup either.
    I tried downgrade bios to 2.20, just check if it is 2.30 bug. Problem is the same there, so I flashed to 2.10 with exactly the same result.
    Im using black /native/ sata connectors on mobo as suggested in manual.
    Now I am back to 1.40 with SATA working again.

To avoid more meaningless flashes, I decided to ask for help here.
    Which highest version of BIOS I should use to avoid this, or is there solution for this problem?

Thanks

Re: Asrock z77 extreme6 SATA problem after flashing bios from 1.40 to new bios

UEFI version 2.30 for your board has been available for two weeks, and this is the first time anyone has posted about a boot or SATA problem with your board. The only thing SATA related stated in the UEFI updates is the Intel RAID Option ROM was updated in version 1.90. My Z77 EX 4 board has a UEFI update with the new Intel OROM, and that caused no problems for me.

The obvious thing is a new setting in the UEFI, or a change in a default setting caused by the UEFI update is the problem. What that exactly is, if correct, I don't know. Did you check all the UEFI settings, particularly the SATA Configuration, after the UEFI updates? I notice you are using Vista, what SATA mode and driver do you use with the Intel SATA chipset?

Do you have the ASMedia SATA controller disabled, since you don't use it? No specific reason I mention that beyond it is a SATA controller that is initialized during POST.

Comment

Website phim tam ly, phim hd, phim truy?n hình xin g?i thi?u các b?n b? phim 2012 dang hot trên todaytv,21h00 Ba dám cu?i m?t d?i ch?ng

Phim Ba Dám Cu?i M?t D?i Ch?ng

Comment

Hey, thanks for reply..
        I gave it go again, flashed to 2.30. The same situation with SATA /A2 hang/, so I left just OS HDD plugged in, and that worked.
        Checked UEFI, SATA is set to AHCI, as in 1.40, I disabled ASMedia SATA just make sure it is not the case, plugged back Optical drive and second HDD,
        boot hang on A2 again.

My Vista32bit driver is Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller, ver. 11.2.0.1006, date 30.5.2012

Back to 1.40 with all SATA devices running with no problem.

Comment

Hey parsec,

thanks again, as you wrote I am only one with this problem, and board is booting w/o problem on bios 1.40, so I realized it is not faulty board, just something preventing A2 sata check to be done. I tried to unplug all sata devices again on bios 2.30, now in different order.
          It worked with OS disk and optical drive, but 750GB Seagate Barracuda / ST3750330AS / unplugged.

So it looks like old Barracudas slipped out from support list in later bioses. I have this disk in my second computer now, running w/o problem, what gives me feeling it is not supported on extreme6 board new bioses. / not sure if there is such thing as support list for HDD in BIOS, just guessing /

Anyway, I swapped it with small SSD disk, I am using now for OS and former OS disk as data storage, so everything is ok now.

I am writing this for people which ran into same problem as me an ofc for parsec to let you know what was prob.

Thanks again for heads up.

Comment

Working...
          X