Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P67 Extreme4 Gen3 intermittent wake from sleep problem

Hello,

I've been having this problem since I can remember. I built this PC a year ago. I'm currently running the default BIOS America MegaTrends Inc. P1.10, 8/30/2011. When I hit the spacebar or move the mouse to wake the PC from sleep, the tower turns on, but it doesn't power the keyboard / mouse / monitor. I have to hold the power button down and reboot in order for it to Resume windows. It doesn't actually reboot, it in fact it resumes windows. If I have the PC in sleep mode for less than 30 minutes, I'm able to wake it up without an issue. I've tried searching for my exact issue that somebody else may be experiencing, but nobody seems to have the exact hardware or symptoms. I would like to have a little more info before I flash the BIOS. I don't want to if I don't have to. Thank you.

Re: P67 Extreme4 Gen3 intermittent wake from sleep problem

Yes, the classic symptoms of the wake from Sleep issue on P67 boards. I don't mean just on ASRock boards, but any P67 board.

My ASUS P67 board does exactly as you describe, including the less than 30 minutes thing where it will work. I have never found a solution for this with my board.

Some users claim it is a PS incompatibility issue, with Corsair (as I used, HX750) and others, I tried a Seasonic, no difference. ASUS suggests disabling PLL Overvoltage, which apparently works for some users, but not me.

Check the Windows logs, I forget which one, you may find entries about a device not responding in the expected time period, during a wake from Sleep. I had those on my P67 board's Windows logs.

The best possible explanation I found was in an Intel document about the P67, and a very complex incompatibility. It may be a non-fixable issue with the P67 chip.

NOTE: If you have a Sandy Bridge CPU in your board, DO NOT update the UEFI to 2.10 or 2.20!! They are for using Ivy Bridge CPUs in your board, and will cause problems if you use a Sandy Bridge CPU.

I gave up long ago trying to fix it, good luck to you if you keep on trying.

NOTE: If you are using a Sandy Bridge CPU, DO NOT update to the 2.10 or 2.20 UEFI!!! They are only for Ivy Bridge CPUs, and will cause problems when used with a Sandy Bridge CPU.
    Last edited by parsec; 12-02-2012, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, and I sincerely apologize for not responding sooner. We recently had some trouble with our house and I was not able to use my PC where I was staying. This Intel error is troubling news. I guess that's one of the downsides of them working on multiple generations of CPUs at one time, not being able to fix basic issues such as this. I guess the demand for a solution wasn't strong enough to warrant some attention. Oh well, I guess I'll just use the semi-operational sleep function until the motherboard goes or until I upgrade a year or two down the line. FYI though, my buddy who has the same CPU & mobo as me upgraded to the new BIOS that supports the IVY bridge chip and he says he does not have a problem after flashing. He is encouraging me to update because apparently the GUI is nicer and makes it easier to overclock if I wish to do so. Realistically I have no need to OC even though I have the ideal setup to do it, my main tasks on here are games and if anything its my GPU that could use a kick in the ass, not my CPU. Thanks again for your clear and timely response, I do appreciate it.

Take care

Comment

No problem, I understand. While I have no problems waking from Sleep on my Z77 boards, Intel included a feature called Rapid Start on their 7 series chipset boards. It seems to be their own version of Windows Hibernate, where the PC's state is saved to disk. I've never tried Hibernate on my P67 board, so that may be an option for you. I have no idea if this Intel feature will work on 6 series chipset boards, but perhaps yet another option.

IMO, the question is why include such a feature now? Laptop users have used Windows Hibernate for years without issues. Why have this feature on desktop boards? Was Intel afraid the wake from Sleep issue would occur on their new platform?

Assuming the problem truly exists as a hardware problem, not much can be done about that. I must say that my take on this is not the absolute final answer on this topic, just the best I have found to date.

Comment

Working...
        X