What is a SATA3_A0 Slot For?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a SATA3_A0 Slot For?

I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. I am trying to plug in my SATA cables, and I noticed that I have a SATA port described as "SATA3_A0". What is this use for? Is that for some sort of RAID config?

I also have another SATA port described as SATA3_0, which I assume is for my primary drive.
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L F10 BIOS
    E8400 @ 3Ghz
    OCZ 2 X 2Gb DDR2 1066
    EVGA 9800GX2
    Corsair TX750

Re: What is a SATA3_A0 Slot For?

The SATA3_A0, and actually SATA3_A1 too, are connected to the ASMedia SATA chipset. That is an add on SATA interface, separate from the Intel. It does not have RAID, and is not as good as the Intel SATA ports are, slower and best for data drives.

Yes, the SATA3_0 is the first of two SATA III ports on the Intel SATA chipset, and is the best one to use for your OS drive.

Comment

Re: What is a SATA3_A0 Slot For?

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      The SATA3_A0, and actually SATA3_A1 too, are connected to the ASMedia SATA chipset. That is an add on SATA interface, separate from the Intel. It does not have RAID, and is not as good as the Intel SATA ports are, slower and best for data drives.

Yes, the SATA3_0 is the first of two SATA III ports on the Intel SATA chipset, and is the best one to use for your OS drive.

Great. Thanks :)
      Gigabyte EP45-DS3L F10 BIOS
      E8400 @ 3Ghz
      OCZ 2 X 2Gb DDR2 1066
      EVGA 9800GX2
      Corsair TX750

Comment

Working...
      X