Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extreme3 gen3 - bios 2.30 issue

Hello all,

I run a extreme3 gen3. Original bios with board was 1.30. Basic components include i7 2600k, 16GB PC1600, GTX580 SLI, SSD.

Now before I flashed the bios everything worked perfectly (don't ask me why I flashed, I heard to new UEFI looked nicer and was a bit easier when it came to OC).

I flashed to 2.3 and followed the directions onscreen. First update happened, rebooted, then the intel ME update happened, reboot. Both said successful. Now when the second reboot happened I get as far as the ASROCK load screen and then I continually get rebooted. I can enter the BIOS and see all my components are recognized.

Very odd. I don't know if it's a BIOS setting that is causing this or something else entirely... I don't think it's hardware related (other than BIOS chip) it went from working to not with the flash of the BIOS.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Re: extreme3 gen3 - bios 2.30 issue

I assume you mean a Z68 Ex 3 Gen 3 board?

Ah yes, yet another victim of using the Ivy Bridge CPU compatibility UEFI (and drivers) on a Sandy Bridge board, with a Sandy Bridge CPU. Not odd at all, your result is typical, in general.

I really wish ASR would give more warnings about this, but I guess the reality that the transition to the IB compatibility UEFI version is really the end of updates for all SB systems, is not something they want to advertise.

You can try flashing back to an earlier UEFI, if that works, forum posts indicate that it doesn't. The only fix I am aware of is getting a new BIOS chip from ASR with an earlier, non-IB UEFI on it.

Comment

Hmmmm, thanks for the repsonse. I kind of figured this...

So what your saying I can use this as an excuse to go buy a IB processor?

On a more serious note. I looked at trying to flash back to 1.30, although it comes in an exe file that doesn't seem to fit the flash utility. How does one go about trying to flash back to 1.3?

Comment

Well, I really did not think I implied a switch to an IB CPU, all you'd get is Intel USB 3.0 support, an improved on board graphics core (if that matters to you, doubt it), a small increase in IPC rate per core, and likely a decrease in the OC ability. IMO, not worth it.

I always use the ASR Instant Flash UEFI update option, which is in the Advanced menu. There several versions of the UEFI file, depending on the type of update you are running. Choose the one for the Instant Flash type of update. You download the binary file of the UEFI, unzip it and copy it to a USB flash drive in a USB port on the rear I/O panel. Restart the PC, enter the UEFI, find Instant Flash and click it.

The USB drive will be read, and any UEFI versions you have on the USB drive will be listed. I saved many of them on a USB drive, so all of them are listed, with the latest one highlighted. You can select an earlier version by hovering the mouse pointer over it (don't click yet!), and then click on the version of choice. No "Are you sure" prompts will appear, it is one click and you are committed.

I've never changed to an earlier version, so don't know if it works, some claim it doesn't. All you can do is try.

Don't forget that ANY UEFI update will reset all UEFI settings to default values, so if you use certain ones (like RAID), you must reset them before booting again.

Comment

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have looked into flashing backwards. Was even able to download the old 1.30 bios from ASROCK website. Just copied the link for 2.3 into my browser and changed the link to 1.3.

Now when I put it on the USB stick it recognizes 2.3 but not 1.3. May they have removed the ability to flash to 1.3?

I just find it odd that the updating process seemed to work both 2.3 and Intel ME 8, yet this is happening. I read elsewhere on the forums and people are saying they have done it without a hitch.

Comment

So other people say they are using 2.3 fine with your board, and an i7-2600K CPU? That is the important part, Sandy Bridge CPU (i7-2600K), on a Sandy Bridge chipset board (Z68), but using the Ivy Bridge CPU compatible UEFI (2.30?) That is the situation that causes issues, it is very specific. If the other people are using an Ivy Bridge CPU (i5-3570K, i7-3770K, for example) with that board and UEFI 2.30, then it should work.

If others are having success with configurations exactly like yours, then something else is wrong. Have you checked other settings in the UEFI? If you have a Fast Boot setting, disable it. If you have the Intel Rapid Start (NOT IRST, Intel Rapid Storage Tech) enabled, disable it. Check the boot order, a UEFI update can change that, be sure your OS drive is first in the order. Actually, check everything, any UEFI/BIOS update sets everything to default values. Your SLI configuration may be giving you problems, you could try going back to one video card to see if that helps you to at least boot.

BTW, the Instant Flash update method is the only UEFI update method currently supported on your board.

Comment

The feedback is mixed on various forums. It seems like it's not just a coincidence that many others are having a problem with the same board, same bios and same processor.

There are no error codes. Just a constand loop. A2 -> 64 -> 99. Blank screen on 99 and then the process restarts back to the logo. There might be another code in there, but it wasn't an error code.

I've done the following to trouble shoot;
              - I've taken 1 vid card out, both out.
              - Tried every stick of ram in every slot at one time.
              - reseated the CPU
              - Disabled both IRST and the other intel option
              - checked boot option
              - changed it back to ACHI (for SSD) <----- this is the only thing ASROCK advised to do. Else they said reinstall the OS, however I can't get it to boot off anything.

Everything is recognized by the BIOS. All RAM, all devices, the cpu.

I'm a bit disapointed in ASROCK on the issue. Great board, very stable, good performer and very stylish, but to follow the instructions for the update to the "T" and this still happening is a bid disheartening. If 1.30 comes back and my system still doesn't work I will retract this comment as it's probably something else hardware related.

I just ordered a new BIOS chip with 1.30. I'll update to see if that fixed everything.

Comment

Working...
              X