X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP 32bit for now then W7 later

Just built a new system with a z77 pro 4 MB
    SSD 16gb ram etc...
    Don't have Windows 7 yet ( that will be the OS eventually) budgeting ya know.
    I do have an XP 32 bit disc and am wondering if I can load that up to ck out the system etc then when I get W7 do a clean install for my final OS ?
    Would there be anything I could not ck or do under the 32 bit os like firmware updates etc ?

Re: XP 32bit for now then W7 later

No SSD's here but XP doesn't natively support TRIM. And IIRC (not 100% positive??) there's a diff way to align the partition.

Someone else will jump in here and offer more I'm sure.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

If you mean just generally check if the mother board works, then yes no problem with that. Some drivers have different 32 and 64 bit versions, but anything wrong would be a software issue. Some drivers are not compatible with XP, you'll need to get the right ones. A 32bit OS cannot use all your memory, only 4GB at most, but the BIOS should see it.

Wardog is right about XP's partition alignment, it will not be correct for a SSD. That will degrade its performance, particularly write performance, so benchmarks of your SSD will be lower, but not the SSD's fault. You will also have to load an AHCI driver for XP during the installation, since XP does not have one. You can use IDE mode, but the SSD's performance will be reduced again, and no TRIM in XP. You should secure erase your SSD before changing to Windows 7, with the OCZ Toolbox for a Vertex 3, since a format by Windows 7 will not clean it up completely. Firmware updates should be fine.

There are three utility programs for your board that cannot be used by XP 32bit, but they are not essential or maybe even useful for you.

Comment

Check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post416006, post #14 for a brief Diskpart guide to properly align the o/s partition on your ssd. For additional Diskpart information do a web search using: diskpart partition alignment
        There are many diskpart guides on the web.
        Some newer partitioning programs will properly create and align your partition on a proper 4k boundary for optimal ssd or hdd performance.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Good info to know I did ck out the TRIM knowledge base online Very interesting stuff there.
          In any event I did start the system up and got into the ASRock UEFI BIOS. Nice feature that graphically shows 'active' connections on the MB, which showed everything i have connected. RAM, drives . Everything looks good from BIOS view.
          I may just wait till I get the W7 disc and then have it.
          Shifting gears for a minute: by letting the CPU thermal paste set, but not run at temp (since no OS)
          Will this affect heat transfer performance ?

Thanks for the replies

Comment

The thermal paste? Not significantly IMO, and if you disable all the CPU power saving options, and just run the BIOS, the CPU will heat up more than just idling in Windows.

Comment

Working...
            X